iTunes - HP - iPod - Apple

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Read all about it:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/jan/08hp.html

The revolution continues... this is a great thing for iTunes and AAC.

8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    "Attack of the Clones -- Episode II"

"An HP-branded digital music player based on Apple's iPod" ... My question: Will these be identical iPods just rebadged with the HP logo, or some HP-built player "based" on the iPod in that it works with iTunes?

Having iTunes preinstalled is a big step ... a little Microsoft-esque.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    The way I understood it is that the HP will be rebranding the Apple iPod as it's own. I can't see Apple allowing HP to rework the hardware and morph it into something that doesn't resemble its original. I Apple realizes that everyone knows that the iPod is from APPLE so no matter who's name gets stamped on the back it will always be an APPLE product.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    m.o.s.tm.o.s.t Posts: 255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bill M

Read all about it:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/jan/08hp.html

The revolution continues... this is a great thing for iTunes and AAC.

8)

As much as Apple and IBM are "friends"- Im shocked IBM and Apple are not working out something simular. 8)
  • Reply 4 of 16
    This could explain the rise in Apple stock. Terrific news. With the PC business slowing to single digit increases per year (nobody expects double digit anymore) Apple is placing itself in the lead for music oriented products and services.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Good news, but I'm worried about the diluting of the iPod brand. You know, the white earbuds mystique. If an iPod isn't iPodesque, what does it have?
  • Reply 6 of 16
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    It's time for Appleheads to stop worrying about "image" and concern themselves with market share, profits and good return on investment (if one owns shares).

This is the start of Apple growing up methinks. They are positioning themselves as the leader in digital music. This is bad news for the other download sites. Look for Buymusic.com to throw in the towel by the summer. Also, look for iPods to get cheaper.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Yes!

Using the lessons taught by Professor Gates in Economics 401 - Building and Maintaining a Technology Monopoly

Quote:

Originally posted by CaseCom

"Attack of the Clones -- Episode II"

"An HP-branded digital music player based on Apple's iPod" ... My question: Will these be identical iPods just rebadged with the HP logo, or some HP-built player "based" on the iPod in that it works with iTunes?

Having iTunes preinstalled is a big step ... a little Microsoft-esque. [/B]

• Reply 8 of 16
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Good news, but I'm worried about the diluting of the iPod brand. You know, the white earbuds mystique. If an iPod isn't iPodesque, what does it have?

dude, it has MINDSHARE. in other words, sony came out with Walkman, and every "walkman-esque" player after it, even if it didn't come from sony, was a "walkman." just like when adobe creams itself when it hears someone use "photoshop" as a verb in regular conversation.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Maybe it's time to merge this thread with this thread. Plus there more info in my thread
  • Reply 10 of 16
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

dude, it has MINDSHARE. in other words, sony came out with Walkman, and every "walkman-esque" player after it, even if it didn't come from sony, was a "walkman." just like when adobe creams itself when it hears someone use "photoshop" as a verb in regular conversation.

That's my point. If it loses that, it's just going to be a commodity item. In my mind, mindshare should be more important than marketshare. When Apple announced the minipods, my first concern was "are the earbuds white?" We can't underestimate the importance of the white earbuds, from a psychological perspective. They drive sales as much as anything else.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

[i]torifile's point. [/B]

I dont think the HP pods will come with white earphones... at least I hope not...

Apple is smart enough NOT to let HP use the iPod name, I'm fairly confident that they will put black (or some other color) earbuds with them, or let HP decide and maybe roll-their-own headphones and other accessories (I REALLY hope they do!!!)
  • Reply 12 of 16
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

It's time for Appleheads to stop worrying about "image" and concern themselves with market share, profits and good return on investment (if one owns shares).

This is the start of Apple growing up methinks. They are positioning themselves as the leader in digital music. This is bad news for the other download sites. Look for Buymusic.com to throw in the towel by the summer. Also, look for iPods to get cheaper.

while i believe the hp branded iPod will look great, i disagree that appleheads should quit worrying about image.

aesthetics and product image are very important to apple users. although are you talking about people's perception of apple? i don't give two craps what people think about apple, nor do i give a crap what apple's market share is, so long as they keep making macs. apple is chugging along at 3% or whatever, and that is fine with me. i don't really understand why i am supposed to want apple to have more users. i don't care.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

...We can't underestimate the importance of the white earbuds, from a psychological perspective.

• Reply 14 of 16
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Some here don't have all the info...

Quoted from ZDNetl

"Apple will manufacture the player, which will not have the iPod name but will have the same design and features as Apple's third-generation iPod players"

"...the device will display the Apple logo at start-up and will work with all of the accessories made for the white-hued Apple varieties."

"In addition, HP will start preinstalling Apple's iTunes on its consumer PCs and desktops"

Everyone wins... more iPod sales, another outlet to promote iTMS... more importantly, the more PC users use Apple's products the more real Apple becomes to the PC user. Capiche?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Good news for Apple. Pepsi, and now HP have joined the iTeam. I wonder who else we can expect? I think Dell, and Microsoft would group their products together, and we will also see Sony as it's own Empire. I wouldn't be so quick to call the demise of all the other music stores, but only a few with strong backing (i.e. M$, Walmart, ect.) and one's with huge mindshare (Apple, maybe Napster to some extent) will survive. Of course the market may not be around for long so...
  • Reply 16 of 16
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I find it all fascinating!