No seriously, how many people can buy 'Hey Ya'?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Since pretty much October this song has been number one on itunes consistently, and i was thinking about a number of things. Does apple release specific numbers of how many times each song was downloaded. And is there an 'award' similar to how the riaa(boo!) gives gold,platinum records, for artists who sell a certain number of songs online? I think apple should make an award, atleast as a gimmick, to massage the ego of artists, as an incentive to sell on itunes. Or has Jobs beat me to the punch?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
  • Reply 2 of 27
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Hannukah Hey Ya (mp3)

Those are some really funny tunes. I especially like the Eminem one.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by nwhysee

Since pretty much October this song has been number one on itunes consistently, and i was thinking about a number of things. Does apple release specific numbers of how many times each song was downloaded. And is there an 'award' similar to how the riaa(boo!) gives gold,platinum records, for artists who sell a certain number of songs online? I think apple should make an award, atleast as a gimmick, to massage the ego of artists, as an incentive to sell on itunes. Or has Jobs beat me to the punch?

Uh, it's one of the most catchy songs in a while. Andre 3000 is a great musician and makes cool songs. Apple releases song and album sales to Billboard so they can be added to their sales numbers. If I remember correctly, Billboard also offers a "Top Downloaded" chart or something similar. Upon some googleing, I found this.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    I want to buy just Andre's half of the Outkast release, but you can only buy them as a package on iTunes. (
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

I want to buy just Andre's half of the Outkast release, but you can only buy them as a package on iTunes. (

Big Boi's Speakerboxxx was just as good, but a traditional hip hop album.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
  • Reply 8 of 27
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    I bought IT!

• Reply 9 of 27
    I was wondering why the song was number one and so popular, so I listened to it. I recognized it and I think I remember thinking it was a good song. However, listening to some of the other Outkast songs, I found I really hate. It is called The Way You Move or something. They play it every other day on my school's radio station (which I am forced to listen to in weight training). While I like Hey Ya, I don't know if I can support the artist that pisses me off ever other day.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    The other guy in Outkast, the guy who raps, is ridiculous. He is always ahead of the beat and makes me embarassed just to listen to him, you know how you get embarassed when you see people making fools of themselves in a school play. He has less concept of rythm and tempo than Bill Gates doing gangsta would. Good riddance. Andre 3000's CD meanwhile is fantabulous and at first that Hey Ya annoyed me but I'm addicted to it now. I went back and listened to older outkast now and I'm on a Outkast binge. Rosa Parks is probably my fav, where they actually rap right. adpowers are you in the USSR?? Juvie Sing Sing?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    They did win something..

Digital track of the year: "Hey Ya!," OutKast

2003 Billboard Music Awards winners
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

The other guy in Outkast, the guy who raps, is ridiculous. He is always ahead of the beat and makes me embarassed just to listen to him, you know how you get embarassed when you see people making fools of themselves in a school play. He has less concept of rythm and tempo than Bill Gates doing gangsta would. Good riddance. Andre 3000's CD meanwhile is fantabulous and at first that Hey Ya annoyed me but I'm addicted to it now. I went back and listened to older outkast now and I'm on a Outkast binge. Rosa Parks is probably my fav, where they actually rap right. adpowers are you in the USSR?? Juvie Sing Sing?

Why would I be in the USSR? And what is Juvie Sing Sing?
  • Reply 13 of 27
    So let me get this straight, Outkast are 2 guys who do their own things, and then release it as an Outkast album, where half the songs are the Hey Ya guy, and the other half is rap?
  • Reply 14 of 27
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Outkast are two hip-hop guys: Andre 3000 and Big Boi.

They release albums where they collaborate together on them.

This past Fall, however, they released a "Double CD" which was two solo albums that were sold together.

• Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajprice

So let me get this straight, Outkast are 2 guys who do their own things, and then release it as an Outkast album, where half the songs are the Hey Ya guy, and the other half is rap?

Kinda. Outkast is Andre 3000 and Big Boi. Before the latest albums they were know for their unique brand of hip hop/rap. They would rap together on the songs like an duo. This latest work is two seperate studio albums one by each of the members put together and sold as a double album. Andre's is The Love Below and it has Hey Ya on it. Big Boi's is Speakerboxxx and has The Way You Move as its first single. They are different sounding albums, but apart you realize how much better they are together. Check out Outkast's iTunes page and listen to some of their earlier work.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    What's interesting about Outkast is that they aren't traditional hiphop/rap. I've been hearing Hey Ya on local rock/alternative stations and somehow they fit in there too. I'm not much into Hiphop/Rap but I like outkast, new and old.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Now this is scary... I just saw a commercial for a CD titled Kids Bop 5 , which contains a "kids singing" version of Hey Ya.

Scary!
  • Reply 18 of 27
    foadfoad Posts: 717member

I didn't see these until. That is freakin awesome! HAHAHAHAH!!
  • Reply 19 of 27
    awww.... hey ya dropped to number 2 today
  • Reply 20 of 27
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member