How would you market GarageBand?

homhom
Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
We know how inept Apple is at marketing their non-iPod products and I think we can all agree that GarageBand can be a killer app. So how would you market it?

Here is my idea for 30 second spot. Music going on the the background. Person comes on screen. "Hey check out how I made this song. I grabbed my guitar, plugged it into my Mac. Laid down some drum and bass tracks. I even added some strings to give it that rock ballad sound. Now my back up band is my Mac."

While the person is talking screen shots of GarageBand come on screen showing the interface, dragging loops, ect. I don't know what the tag line should be, but I think this could be a start of a series of ads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Man, I don't care...JUST AS LONG AS THEY MARKET IT.

This app has the potential to be THE "switch" app of all time!

All those casual pickers, pluckers, strummers, keyboarders, blowers, tooters, etc. out there? Come on, Apple!

If they let this app just sit there and only be known about by the already-faithful, I'm going to puke. And have even LESS faith in Apple's marketing tactics.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    How about a Garageband section in the iTMS for people to submit their homebrew masterpieces for review - kinda like "Star Search" online.

Edit: Oops a whole thread started by Rhumgod on this idea.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

How about a Garageband section in the iTMS for people to submit their homebrew masterpieces for review - kinda like "Star Search" online.

Edit: Oops a whole thread started by Rhumgod on this idea.

It was bad idea in that thread and here too
  • Reply 4 of 8
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Get the good sir Ben Folds playing all these instruments (a lá his Rockin' the Suburbs video), and then zoom in transition to showing really it is Ben Folds playing a midi keyboard being backed up by a Mac with GarageBand. :

That would be the way I would do it. Show big bands, and then it is really one dude playing a single instrument playing with GarageBand... smokey:
  • Reply 5 of 8
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

Get the good sir Ben Folds playing all these instruments (a lá his Rockin' the Suburbs video), and then zoom in transition to showing really it is Ben Folds playing a midi keyboard being backed up by a Mac with GarageBand. :

That would be the way I would do it. Show big bands, and then it is really one dude playing a single instrument playing with GarageBand... smokey:

Great idea
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Yeah, something cute, snappy and clever. And with a neat visual hook or "wow" shot. Use a celebrity. Or not.

Just do something cool, to-the-point and NOT VAGUE or requiring you to already be a Mac user/Apple freak. THAT'S been the problem all along: all their commercials seem to hinge on you being a big Apple fan or Mac nut and are simply satisfied (or aroused) with seeing 30 seconds of an Apple product during a "Friends" commercial break.

That isn't going to "switch" anyone, and you're just wasting money giving all us current Mac-heads a brief thrill (but it gets old after about two viewings, so...).

Make it really damn obvious as to what's going on. Spell it out and SAY IT if you must. Just do it cool and make people want to go visit an Apple Store and give serious consideration to perhaps switching platforms.

We Mac-heads ALREADY KNOW, so quit making vague, esoteric crap for us to coo over and watch again and again via QuickTime downloads (we GET IT already, guys) and make it for those OTHER people not using Macs, not using OS X, not happy with their current Windows-based set-up and "digital lifestyle" applications.

Is this so hard?

• Reply 7 of 8
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I don't know, but the John Mayer performance pretty much sold me.

"There's on last thing I'm going to do..."

"SAVE IT!!"
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I was thinking that to. If they could somehow distill that down to a cool 30-seconds. And hell, even use Mayer. He's popular, actually has talent/chops (he's no Britney or horsecrap boy band type), chick dig him, non-offensive, all around regular guy.

He'd probably make a nice celebrity focal point/spokesperson/commercial figure in a couple of spots.

And just to satisfy me, it wouldn't hurt to get Ms. Crow involved in an ad or two either. That woman makes my knees wobble...

But yes, that keynote segment with Mayer and Jobs running through GarageBand is GREAT. Too band it's 30 minutes long.

But with some great editing...