Microsoft Office 2004

Comments

• Reply 41 of 192
    Has anyone heard about the upgrade path of Virtual PC 7? Do you think it'll be available for those of us who never upgraded to 6.0, or will we have to buy the full version?
  • Reply 42 of 192
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i assume that VPC7 will run on a G5, correct?

i hadn't seen it mentioned in this thread anywhere, so i figure no news is good news.

i haven't had to use VPC once since i bought my G5, but i figure better safe than sorry.
  • Reply 43 of 192
    According to MacMinute, VPC7 will indeed support the G5, and feature -ahem- performance improvements.

I wonder what kind of performance improvements we'll see in G4sville?
  • Reply 44 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

If that suite would come from any other dev team we all would run over each other to post how great it is and all that, but since it comes from ms, everyone tries to find something to bash it for.

Actually MBU has some great developers, and office is really good piece of software. Sure Microsoft is shit, but don't you think that those guys are macheads too?, just so happens that they work for MS.

Give them a break

This has little to do with them being macheads. Even Macheads can steal from each other.
  • Reply 45 of 192
    I must say that I for one was quite impressed with what the MacBU showed us @ Macworld.

Kudos to the team!
  • Reply 46 of 192
    Without MS Office i wouldn't buy ANY of our macs at work.

How many people need MS office?

Give me something better, and i may join the crowd.
  • Reply 47 of 192
    hearnhearn Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Actually MBU has some great developers, and office is really good piece of software. Sure Microsoft is shit, but don't you think that those guys are macheads too?, just so happens that they work for MS.

Give them a break

Give them a break because they're smart and have good skills, but choose to work for evil monopolists that perpetuate their stranglehold on the industry by blackmail and intimidation?

I will give them a break when Microsoft is bankrupt and Bill Gates is safely behind bars.
  • Reply 48 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by hearn

Give them a break because they're smart and have good skills, but choose to work for evil monopolists that perpetuate their stranglehold on the industry by blackmail and intimidation?

I will give them a break when Microsoft is bankrupt and Bill Gates is safely behind bars.

your full of shit. try to find a job these days in the tech sector, let alone one that pays better then MS...

[insert rebuttle about MS employees selling out...]

when you have a kid, tell me how important being anti corporation is...

what? buy apple products instead?

hate to break it to ya, its a corporation too... and not any less competetive than microsoft, and every bit as willing to compete and take advantage of demand
  • Reply 49 of 192
    Quote:

Give them a break

Naaaaahhhhhhh.
  • Reply 50 of 192
    Well, I use Mac..stay Mac. Virtual PC holds "virtually" no interest for me. I do understand that there are those who are not as fortunate as myself to work and play *only* on Mac. I did stray long ago, even built and networked PCs as a living. Long gone are those days- and here is one in hopes of Apple getting more market share! - CHEERS!

8)
  • Reply 51 of 192
    You know what? It might be alright. Well, I?m sort of praying for it.

Word has features I really need and use every day. With all the animations, sound effects, tips and unilateral, pre-emptive editing ?features? turned off, and all the toolbars apart from the formatting palette hidden, the interface is alright. It looks good and it?s actually simple to use. You have to make a little effort, which I admit is an important failure, but you can get it to do what you want without any fuss.

It works. It?s the bugs and the speed of the thing that make it so terribly, terribly, frustrating. Fix those alone and I?d actually be happy with it. And sort out the SHIT preferences management and the counter-intuitive dictionaries and stuff, and give me localisation that works, and settings that stay set, and I?d even say it was good.

What if they?ve been sorting all this out? That?d be pretty alright, no?

It?s not perfect, but it?s damn powerful and it does the job: and until someone in Cupertino gathers together some open source Office code and sticks it behind a really, properly decent front end, I know I?m going to keep on using the slag, so, hey.
  • Reply 52 of 192
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I've always said, MS Office works well (except for PPT ) but MBU really needs to work on the speed of their software. It can be painful at times. Anyone have a link to 2004 screenshots?
  • Reply 53 of 192
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I've always said, MS Office works well (except for PPT ) but MBU really needs to work on the speed of their software. It can be painful at times. Anyone have a link to 2004 screenshots?

Here are some: http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...=1073468789000
  • Reply 54 of 192
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

In all the official comments about the upcoming Office release, I have heard none about performance issues. Did I miss something? Or perhaps mentioning it would mean that MS would have to admit the problem in the first place. Perhaps they will fix it without mentioning it. Or perhaps they won't fix it....
  • Reply 55 of 192
    I'd like to see Omni make some kind of note scribbling thingy like in Word 2004.

Something that could make good use of the microphone to record notes and InkWell or whatever to scribble notes or drawings anything that isn't worth typing.

Sometimes I sit in class and wish I could just take a pen and draw rough diagrams or write math equations (it's really not easy to write equations rapidly into any word processor) into the computer.

A bluetooth pen and a computer would suffice to take any notes, vocal, textual or graphic.
  • Reply 56 of 192
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    now that a week or so have gon by... has anyone seen or heard of any evidence of Office '04 using ADDRESS BOOK for contact management?
  • Reply 57 of 192
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

now that a week or so have gon by... has anyone seen or heard of any evidence of Office '04 using ADDRESS BOOK for contact management?

It doesn't. I asked a MS rep that would know.

But Project Center looks awesome, from a collaborative point of view!
  • Reply 58 of 192
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    crap... isnt there at least someway to keep them properly syncronized? That AppleScript shareware thing is a pain in the ass to use...
  • Reply 59 of 192
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I really don't understand what makes Office so good software.

Excel I understand, I've seen some people do really handy things with it, and I'm starting to use it in simple calculations myself. It feels like "honest" software somehow. Doesn't try to tell you what to do.

But Word?

I edit my documents as text. That way you get better editors, version control systems like CVS work properly, and you can easily e-mail, IRC and ICQ the document or parts of it to someone else. I totally hate having to put a change history in a Word doc, not to mention that is bound to be out of date, and it will never mesh right with code changes in version control. (I'm guessing the latest versions of Word have some sort of history built in... do they?)

My editor of choice is vim, but I'm no zealot. When I have to "present" stuff to others or print the documents I put them through a RTF editor like Wordpad or Textpad, select all, set the base font, then change the headlines. I plan to learn LaTeX later so that I can deal with bigger documents.
  • Reply 60 of 192
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I'll echo what other have said...

REAL EXCHANGE SUPPORT!

That is the only feature that will mean anything to most corporate Mac users. Just this morning, I had to figure out why my bosses filenames where showing up garbled when she mailed them to PC users. It turns out that the files had been originally sent to her by another employee. When she saved them out of Entourage, the names where truncated to include a '...' in place of the missing letters.

Its not huge, but when you couple that with half-assed exchange support, it seriously handicaps the Mac in a corporate environment. Two VPs in my company would have switched to a Mac recently, but they changed their minds when they realized the limitations of Entourage. So, this strategy seems to be working for M$...keep the Mac out of the work place as much as possible.

There was a recent thread in the OSX (?) forum about Apple's enterprise strategy. In that thread, it was repeated, time and time again, that Apple (or a 3rd party) must provide a real alternative to Exchange in order for the Mac to make any head-way in corporations.

Some people in my company are still running Outlook in Classic because they say its better than Entourage for getting mail w/Exchange. I wish M$ would include full Exchange support, but I don't think they want to.