Saddam Hussein is officialy a war prisoner.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The US admin granted officialy Saddam Hussein the status of war prisoner (and therefore war criminal). He will benefit the geneva conventions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Many people are more concerned with how Saddam Hussein is treated now than how thousands of Iraqis were treated before all this started.

Not that he shouldn't be treated fairly, but it shows some telling things.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Many people are more concerned with how Saddam Hussein is treated now than how thousands of Iraqis were treated before all this started.

Not that he shouldn't be treated fairly, but it shows some telling things.

That's not my case BTW. Just give an info that i heard on the radio.

It's important that he is been treated fairly in order to be in phasis with the high moral standarts that we sheered, high moral standarts wich never prevailed during Saddam reign.

However if is still claim that Bush sell the Iraq war for false reasons (liar or errors, we will never know, perhaps it's the Bush admin distorsion field), Saddam is fully responsible of his destiny : he understand the US threat too late. By pride, he did not make any concessions until he reaches the ultimates limits.

He made the error in 1991 by thinking nobody will react to his Koweit invasion (it was a really bad strategic move for him : the occidental world could not let him control this strategic part of the world). This will lead him to a very bad pass, but suceeded to stay in power.

He made a second error in 2003, by pride. If he did not fired the UN inspections, he will still be in power (nobody will cry for this).

He already made an error with his war with iran.

Dictator tend to be surrounded by lame advisers, who will tell only what Saddam wants to hear (otherwise they are killed). The leader tend to be isolated of the reality, and he take really lames decisions.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Not directed at you, my love.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Not directed at you, my love.

Thanks, and i wish you an happy new year for you and your family
  • Reply 5 of 12
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Thanks, and i wish you an happy new year for you and your family

Likewise to you both Gentlemen.

As to Saddam, has he been charged with anything yet ?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Considering this is an "illegal" war his detention is also illegal. The US needs to release him at once and restore him to power. Also I'm sure he hasn't been read his miranda rights which means all the "evidence" that the US collects can't be used against him in a trail. They had no warrant to invade Iraq.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Your thinking is ass-backwards. Some people are more concerned with the U.S. acting properly than with murder. You're thinking from the results backwards. Try thinking from the actions forward. Just a different view.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    People were more concerned with how the US acted rather than how Iraq acted. Had there been a united front against Saddam there would have been a much better change of bring him down without war. BUT with France and Germany supporting Saddam the whole way there was no change of the UN being successful.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Considering this is an "illegal" war his detention is also illegal. The US needs to release him at once and restore him to power. Also I'm sure he hasn't been read his miranda rights which means all the "evidence" that the US collects can't be used against him in a trail. They had no warrant to invade Iraq.

Please tell me your joking. That is ridiculous. The constitutional rights afforded to citizens of the United States don't extend to other countries. In other words, we didn't need a warrant, we had all the evidence and the world is better without that sorry excuse for a man. I don't think the Geneva conventions say anything about miranda rights either.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Scott you're confusing the masses.

This is weird. Why would they say this, with all the early talk about letting Iraqis try him? It just seems like they really don't know what they're doing.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

Scott you're confusing the masses.

This is weird. Why would they say this, with all the early talk about letting Iraqis try him? It just seems like they really don't know what they're doing.

I heard this on NPR yesterday and they said that Saddam being declared a war prisoner will not affect the ability of the Iraqis to try him. Even though he is being held as a POW by the US, it seems he will still be tried by his own countrymen.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    bunge:

Check the signature.