Home directory on iPod

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
There was a rumour floating around future versions of OS X would allow you to keep your home directory on an iPod. From what I remember, it was pretty much ready to go, and was expected by some people, to appear in 10.3.2.

Was this feature pulled for a reason? Was it something to do with the iPod mini?

I wonder if Apple will enable this feature for iPods but not the minis, thereby distinguishing the two devices. If you want a multipurpose iPod that you can also use as an external FireWire HDD then you have to go for the fully blown iPod. According to the specs, you can still use the iPod mini as an external HDD?

Anybody have any thoughts? I'd be interested to hear how you think this will pan out...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    composercomposer Posts: 212member
    actually, if you have your iPod connected all the time you can pretty much put it there anyway. Problem comes when you have lots of music/movies/large files, or if you don't have your iPod. Syncing large amounts of data with limited space can be a problem.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    It was pulled probably for the same reason that the ability to boot from the iPod was removed: excess wear on the hard drive. It's not meant for constant, heavy-duty access like that.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Probably not. Small hard drives like those are really meant for just storage. Meaning, small bursts of data transfer, like capturing an image, transferring data from one computer to the next, that kind of thing. The iPod is no different. It stores as much information as it can in it's 32MB cache. This is also why when you skip around a lot on your iPod, the battery gets sucked dry quicker than bong water at a Phish concert.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Composer

...This is also why when you skip around a lot on your iPod, the battery gets sucked dry quicker than bong water at a Phish concert.

those mofos drink that? that shit tastes worse than curdled milk.