1984-2004: 20th Anniversary Goodies

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Were gonna see some sustained product announcements this year I think. Software, hardware, OS updates...I think everything will be nicely and conscienciously taken care of. Powerbooks, new devices, iPod spec bumps, it will be a fun year. Hopefully the iLife package sees a couple .dot updates.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    Probably an artifact of my overactive imagination, but doesn't it look like there is an image of the talking head on the screen of the iPod? And doesn't it look bigger than it should be? Could she be wearing the new video iPod???

• Reply 23 of 47
    next in the retro Ridley meets Jonathan Ives line of 20th Anniversary products...

the iScandinavianBabe, with hurlable iHammer
  • Reply 24 of 47
    Having finally watched the Stevenote, I would have to say YES to the premise of the thread.

Macworld was a very balanced presentation, first half was pro, business and enterprise, second half was consumer.

The consumer Trojan Horse has a little brother now... and there are two new enterprise Horses as well.

I think it sets the pace for a year of constant, balanced releases, on all fronts... and maybe some new fronts as well.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

next in the retro Ridley meets Jonathan Ives line of 20th Anniversary products...

the iScandinavianBabe, with hurlable iHammer

One more iThingie and I'm going to hurl....
  • Reply 26 of 47
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    in terms of marketing speaking:

for an anniversary, you can make a big bang, a single event, you can concentrate all your efforts on one single moment.

no bad idea, if you are on a small budget.

a hard- and software company as apple hasn't a small budget!

development is continously improving products.

as we have seen in the past, it doesn't make any sense to present new products just once in a year!

the anniversary has some big momentum: the introducing of the first computer with grafical user interface (YA! lisa, xerox, i do know!! commercially successfull gui, ok?), the beginning of a new epoche in computer history.-

so, some self reflection is nice - the implementation of the ipod (first successfull mp3 player?- ok, you got the idea ) into the 1984 commercial is such a thing: even people, who are not interested in the brand apple and in advertisement realize the meaning.-

so, what else could be used for some self-reflection, self-celebration, some "apple was the first and still is!" ?

music is nice; does anybody here remember the first laserprinters and pagemaker? (i do, i'm soooo old) is an iApp for layouting an idea? (cardmaker - hihihi)? we have learned, that maybe a wordprocessor is not yet expected?- but something similar & better? (>>ragtime)?

3D animation? FCE2 is nice - but how is FCpro getting nicer?

hardware:

it is very expansive to produce a "special edition"; but maybe the introducing of a new line would make sense? the wearable computer with goggles (just kiddin)?? voice-input? iPostIt (miniNewton)? a new (headless) iMac? ?

-----

steve's remark about a great year made it absolutly clear: we mac-afficionados will have a good time!
  • Reply 27 of 47
    I've been thinking about the whole 20th anniversary thing myself since the Stevenote. He pushed it so much at the beginning that I was disappointed that he did not announce anything too much out of the ordinary. I must say that the Garage Band presentation got a bit lengthy. But, since he pushed the 20th anniversary thing SO much, I would be surprised if some new 20th edition products that are pretty good are not announced. (Excuse the poor grammar, I am usually not up this late, but it is final time!) He most definitely made it clear that 20th anniversary stuff was on the way, now we need to find out what. If that means "cool posters and pens" then that is dumb. I really doubt that would be the case but still... I also feel he indicated that Apple is not so much brining out new products based on a time schedule anymore, but more based on when they can produce them. At least to an extent. Well, whatever. I will speculate more when I can actually think. Wish me luck on these finals! (Whoever thought it would be a good idea to do them after Christmas break is a moron and should not be allowed to live!)
  • Reply 28 of 47
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Were gonna see some sustained product announcements this year I think. Software, hardware, OS updates...I think everything will be nicely and conscienciously taken care of. Powerbooks, new devices, iPod spec bumps, it will be a fun year. Hopefully the iLife package sees a couple .dot updates.

I agree, although I hope the iPod gets more than just spec bumps - I want improved functionality from that Personal Organisational Device!

I presume you also meant .mac updates too?
  • Reply 29 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

I've been thinking about the whole 20th anniversary thing myself since the Stevenote. He pushed it so much at the beginning that I was disappointed that he did not announce anything too much out of the ordinary.

Wish me luck on these finals! (Whoever thought it would be a good idea to do them after Christmas break is a moron and should not be allowed to live!)

I'm guessing they could have announced PowerMac speed bumps or something like that at MacWorld, but maybe it's better to have the iPod mini, GarageBand, Xserves get some press coverage and when the hype has gone down a little, announce something else.

That way it will seem like Apple has something new out there all year long.

Good luck on those finals!
  • Reply 30 of 47
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    Why would you touch-up scenes for a historic commercial just to put in your latest trendy device? And not even the latest version (mini)?

Something is missing here.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunrein

Well, that's the same day that the second Mars rover "Opportunity" is due to land on Mars. Maybe when it lands, we'll see a new Mac product pop out of the top?

That'd be quite an advertising achievement...

Well, this (german) article from macnews.de says:

Quote:

"Macs are used in the current Mars Rover mission... [snip] ... NASA scientist Robert B. Schmunk confirmed, that he and many of his colleagues are working with Macintosh computers. Schmunk used his Mac to develop his JAVA application Mars24 (a "Mars sunclock") in the NASA GISS office in New York, for example. Currently, he's using a PowerMac G4/500 and a TiBook with 667 Mhz, but he has plans to upgrade to a PM G5 the next month.

Schmunk said, that he's been using Macs as a development platform since 1986...[snip]"

So, we'll c
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by muah

Why would you touch-up scenes for a historic commercial just to put in your latest trendy device? And not even the latest version (mini)?

Something is missing here.

the White iPod is still the signature Apple cool device

(if you examine the current ad campaign... people see white music player and know it's iPod)

but you are correct in noting that there are missing pieces of this marketing puzzle...

all will begin to be revealed as the Anniversary approaches
  • Reply 33 of 47
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The anniversary date is the perfect time to release a new iMac. He can pull it out of a black box and have it make some little joke using a brand-new speech engine.

The real key, though, was something Steve said at the keynote: The transition to OS X is over. "We made it." AI's story about PowerMac sales confirms this, with some pitiful number of PowerMac G4s selling last quarter. The eMac, the other OS 9 booting machine, got a non-update last fall, indicating that the current incarnation doesn't have much of a future either. At the same time, OS X has gotten past the basic development stage and is now in place and refined.

What this all means is that on the Mac's 20th birthday, Apple can reveal the Mac for the next 20 years. The rebirth of the platform. The OS is there. The hardware is there with the advent of the 970. The applications are there. The company is running at a level of competence and efficiency that I have never seen in over two decades of observing Apple. They're reasserting their original thesis of providing a means to turn everyone into a creator. And, of course, there's a new platform: iPod.

If 2003's release schedule is any indication, 2004 looks to be a blowout.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    durandaldurandal Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

If 2003's release schedule is any indication, 2004 looks to be a blowout.

Hope so - my current iBook g3/800 will be replaced by a new Macintosh in Q1/2005. I hope, I'll be able to choose between a PMg6 and a PBg5

BTW, just read the following at macosrumors.com. I know, they've got a pretty bad track record, thought I'd post it anyway:

Quote:

Senior Apple personalities who have been roaming the show floor post-keynote have been overheard pointedly dropping hints of an Apple event later in the month that will update the PowerMac G5 and at least one other Mac along with it -- and the upgrades will be "even more ambitious than what the rumor sites would have you expect"....

• Reply 35 of 47
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Apple has a lot of "new products" for 2004 according to Jobsessses.

Of course, there will be updates to every product line. But, what of the PowerBooks? Everyone is waiting for the G5, but the cooling and the battery is a major factor.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    My guess is some form of affordable space flight for the rest of us.

The iRocket.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    OK, here's my prediction:

After a MacWorld that was closed lipped on the Macintosh, I think we do have some clues. Of course the biggest clue is the prominent appearance of the 1984 Super Bowl ad. (one that cost millions to produce and air by the way).

I will be glued to my seat watching the Superbowl, not for the game but for the ads. Note the plural, and I'm not talking about the Budwiser frogs or the Energizer Bunny, I'm talking about the Apple ad. Not the Pepsi ad either, the Apple ad.

It begins just as in 1984, only the babe is wearing the iPod (duh) it runs as we saw it at MacWorld until the hammer hits the screen (Bill Gates?).

The flash of light morphs into a bright white screen with a beautiful 20" Apple display showing the Panther desktop. Slowly, and to dramatic music, the screen rises on it's hidden arm to revel the 21st century Macintosh is all it's glory. A monolithic appearing pyramid with the screen attached to it's apex.

Well, the last bit is my idea for a form factor to take the Macintosh forward for the next two decades, but whatever it is, it will be reveled at the Superbowl, and after the Pepsi ad, at the explosion of the screen in the original "1984" commercial.

Somebody remember that I said this on 10 January 2004 @ 17:00
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by k_munic

... a new (headless) iMac? ?

So... would that be an iStump? heh.... ah it's not that funny....
  • Reply 39 of 47
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion

OK, here's my prediction:

After a MacWorld that was closed lipped on the Macintosh, I think we do have some clues. Of course the biggest clue is the prominent appearance of the 1984 Super Bowl ad. (one that cost millions to produce and air by the way).

I will be glued to my seat watching the Superbowl, not for the game but for the ads. Note the plural, and I'm not talking about the Budwiser frogs or the Energizer Bunny, I'm talking about the Apple ad. Not the Pepsi ad either, the Apple ad.

It begins just as in 1984, only the babe is wearing the iPod (duh) it runs as we saw it at MacWorld until the hammer hits the screen (Bill Gates?).

The flash of light morphs into a bright white screen with a beautiful 20" Apple display showing the Panther desktop. Slowly, and to dramatic music, the screen rises on it's hidden arm to revel the 21st century Macintosh is all it's glory. A monolithic appearing pyramid with the screen attached to it's apex.

Well, the last bit is my idea for a form factor to take the Macintosh forward for the next two decades, but whatever it is, it will be reveled at the Superbowl, and after the Pepsi ad, at the explosion of the screen in the original "1984" commercial.

Somebody remember that I said this on 10 January 2004 @ 17:00

I remember last year around this time there was a list of all the advertisers that had Superbowl spots. Any sightings of the updated page for this year? I've tried googling, but I get far too many fallacious returns and I can't think of any other synonyms. :/
  • Reply 40 of 47
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Newton Lives!