You know it was coming...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
What is the cheapest midi keyboard and where can I get it?

I know he isn't like SUPER big but I do think it was really cool that they had John Mayer come out to help with Garage Band.

Heh saw the next 5 min of the keynote where they introduced their keyboard...perhaps I get that, but just trying to figure out if anyone offers better for cheaper?

Comments

• Reply 2 of 17
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    This is the one I have... it's great. You can probably find it for $150-$180 if you shop around.

Edirol (Roland)
  • Reply 3 of 17
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    These little keyboards are polyphonic, right? Not just "one note at a time" deals?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    M-Audio's oxygen 8. Can be found at guitar center for roughly $100 if you talk nice to em.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    the woodwind and brass wind has a midi keyboard for $70 here

you will need the midi to usb converter though
  • Reply 6 of 17
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Maybe one of these, just like the one from Sweet Cuppin' Cakes:

• Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

These little keyboards are polyphonic, right? Not just "one note at a time" deals?

yes... it's up the the software.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    If I had the money for a new midi controller, I'd get this one:

Korg microKontrol. It's overkill for GarageBand, but would be perfect for Reason.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    That's awesome! love the 4x4 drum pad, just like an MPC

either way, The Oxygen 8 can be had for about $80, but 2 octaves really blows, I thought I was going to be able to deal with it, but it's a pain(my friendh as one) also, there is it's big brother the Ozone 8 which has a built in Audio input, for plugging a Guitar or mic into. which is more like $120 I think

I have a 49 key midi keyboard(no usb) that cost about $60 I think, then just recently we got a midisport 2x2 USB hub for it, which also cost about $60

Edirol generally have the best priced keyboards, usually cheaper than m-audio, I can't say if they are any better or worse though, I've only used m-audio.

Personally, the one apple is pushing, is very good, 49 keys, and $100 AND it has USB...that's very awesome, I plan to get that one when I get Garageband, I'll probably also get a USB audio I/O so I can plug my bass into my computer.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I'll get you Hey-Steve! If it's the last thing I dooooooooo!!!

=D

- Xidius
  • Reply 11 of 17
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Just a quick note, you can pick up the apple keyboard at Apple Retail stores right?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Just a quick note, you can pick up the apple keyboard at Apple Retail stores right?

that is a good question. Very good question.... You may have to wait until 1/16/04... just call 'em up . It is not like they are going to be "Maybe we do, maybe we don't. I think 20 bucks would clear my memory."
  • Reply 13 of 17
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

that is a good question. Very good question.... You may have to wait until 1/16/04... just call 'em up . It is not like they are going to be "Maybe we do, maybe we don't. I think 20 bucks would clear my memory."

Haha...I guess that is why they don't employ people like me
  • Reply 14 of 17
    The John Mayer GarageBand composition played at Macworld is available via Quicktime here.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

The John Mayer GarageBand composition played at Macworld is available via Quicktime here.

You can even make out Steve's "Cough" vocals!
  • Reply 16 of 17
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Quote:

OMG!!! I actually own one of these when I was a kid!

I almost forgot this Casio keyboard.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

The resembalence is striking