Bush and illegal aliens

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Bush just shot himself in the foot. He

managed to alienate his core and independents like me by his new amnesty for illegals scheme without calling it an amnesty.

Just check all the conservative message boards, they are

ripping him to shreds, for good reason.

I decided months ago to vote for any

Democrat just to get Bush out of office. Then I said that I

couldnt see myself voting for any of them. Then it was pointed

out to me that Bush wasnt acting on any amnesty so he was

still my best bet.

Well, folks, now Bush has forced me to vote against him. Thats

the only way to wake up the Republican party that if they

abandon their core values, they must lose. So pander away,

shrub, and ignore the majority of voters who want an end to

illegal immigration. You now deserve to

lose.............................................. .

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I've been for a guest worker program for a while. Those people are here and working. They are not going away. The laws wont ever be enforced in a real way. So **** it. Go with the flow. Make them legal and in the system. Shit? Collect taxes from them.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I've been for a guest worker program for a while. Those people are here and working. They are not going away. The laws wont ever be enforced in a real way. So **** it. Go with the flow. Make them legal and in the system. Shit? Collect taxes from them.

I favor a guestworker program for farm wokers only. Those are the only jobs that even legal immigrants wont take. Every other job is a low level job open for those getting off welfare, legal immigrants an others. Just saying what the heck make them legal is not logical.

Think about the ramifications. Politicians in this country just dont have any guts, except for a few in Congress like Tom Tancredo. Our population increased by over 3 million just last year. With shrubs idiotic plan our population will balloon even larger.

Its amazing to me that the worlds strongest country is taking orders from the President of Mexico on what our immigration policy should be. Bush needs to get his head out of Vicente's ass and stop pandering like a liberal. Goodbye Shrub, I think you just blew it big time.
  • Reply 3 of 51
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    On a related side-note: Has anyone played that game where you are a Mexican on a bicycle evading the boarder patrol? Good stuff. I don't agree with Mr. Bush, but I can't see anything short of having a complete boarder lock-down helping the illegal situation. I would like to point out that in the phrase "illegal aliens" the word illegal stands out. Just a comment.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Scott shares the opinion that Bush is trying to bank on.

I personally dont understand national borders especially in situations like the United States where they are freely passed more or less for legitimate reasons.

Honestly, the Mexico border is more tightly patrolled not because of illegals but because of the drugs that come from SA.

While a core of Bush supporters may leave him (for what i do not know), I dont think he will attrack the suburban swing voters with this policy.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I've been for a guest worker program for a while...

Agreed. People keep talking about this as a political move and it's true there's a potential upside to this. But there's also an obvious downside too. Bush didn't have to pick this battle but he did. I think he's convinced this is the right thing to do. There are some 10 million illegals in this country. There's simply no way we could expel them all and if we did, how soon would it be before someone called it an ethnic cleansing?

Mexicans come here because the per capita income in the US is approx. nine times greater than it is in Mexico. When you have that kind of a differential, trying to stem the flow of immigration is like trying to repeal the law of gravity. It ain't going to happen. It's better to get them out of the underground economy and create a system where we can better regulate what's happening. A guest worker program will do that.

America was founded by immigrants seeking a better life. In a very real sense the immigrant story is the truest of American stories. Ten generations ago one of my forebears came to this country on the Mayflower. As far as I'm concerned today's immigrants are welcome here.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Isn't this just a three year plan? Nothing long term or either very useful or potentially harmful.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    i read the stuff about that ..

looks like bush is only trying to get hispanic voters.

if you are an illegal alien, without documents, documentedly been working for years in US (that all was in the article ..) .. yea, you COULD apply with your emplyee for your legalization. no comment on how long it'd take .. years? with a fee. yes, like there is now (in case the paperwork should be done in less than a year or so).

they'd know that you are here. so you could be kicked out.

and still the fee. no comment on that. i am afraid the law could be passed, and the fee put so high that no one would apply for it.

bush could pass that law if he wanted to, even tomorrow (or monday).

but he does not want that. he wants jsut the votes. any votes. and that will give him more hispanic votes.

of course he makes the thing wait untill at least he's the prez for the 2nd time (or who knows till how long).

he does not do the thing for the right motive.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    While I don't like the fact they have crossed the borders illegally, it is fact that is most likely had they followed all legal procedure, they still would not be let into the US. The system is broken. So they do what they have to do to get work. I can't complain much about that.

It's not like they are stealing American jobs. If Americans weren't such egotistical assholes, they'd have taken the jobs now being given to immigrants, instead of believing they are above such occupations.

It's reminds me of the parody made by Maddox:

• Reply 9 of 51
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Giaguara

Bush could pass that law if he wanted to, even tomorrow (or monday).

but he does not want that. he wants jsut the votes. any votes. and that will give him more hispanic votes.

That's an interesting assumption to make. Perhaps you should look into what legislative procedures it takes to actually get a law passed in the United States before sounding this ignorant again.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I've thought about this a lot, and tend to agree with Scott on some points, but I'm undecided on others. I don't feel that an amnesty program for illegals is right...but what do I know, I'll leave the politics up to those who are paid to do stupid things for my country, the politicians. I don't much feel like elaborating on this right now, so I'll leave you all to ponder my response.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Speaking of immigration, i think that any countrie should promote legal immigration over illegal one.

It will be better to simplifie legal immigration, rather than to legalize people who illegaly immigrate. Because these amnesty (or whatever you call that), will send a clear message for candidate to immigrations : the illegal way is the best way. It's quite a good new, for the mafia people who are doing their silly illegal immigration busisness.
  • Reply 12 of 51
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    IMO, it would have been better if documented working illegal aliens were given green card priority over other applicants.

otherwise i don't see the big benefit to declaring yourself and paying taxes. i suppose you don't get deported in a raid, but it's not like people don't sneak back now anyway.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

IMO, it would have been better if documented working illegal aliens were given green card priority over other applicants.

otherwise i don't see the big benefit to declaring yourself and paying taxes. i suppose you don't get deported in a raid, but it's not like people don't sneak back now anyway.

Right the law should favorite these people.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

That's an interesting assumption to make. Perhaps you should look into what legislative procedures it takes to actually get a law passed in the United States before sounding this ignorant again.

egotistcal asshole.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

egotistcal asshole.

Sound ignorant is not very friendly, but this is even worse. Stay civil

Thanks.
  • Reply 16 of 51
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    This is all about it being an election year.

Illegal aliens made legal, a base on Mars, etc.

Sorry but that's really what's at the heart of it.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Sound ignorant is not very friendly, but this is even worse. Stay civil

Thanks.

i know i was just using his language against him.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

i know i was just using his language against him.

Except rageous is right. Passing this law isn't as simple a matter as Giaguara painted it. What's YOUR point?
  • Reply 19 of 51
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    How long would it take Bush to sign an executive order? How long would it take that executive order to start? I think it could happen by Monday.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I have held back from commenting on american politics until I found something positive to say about Bush and this is it.

Its not how I would have changed the immigration policy but its a positive step no matter how insuficient it is. Hurray for that.