SoundTrack Vs. GarageBand

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Which one is better? Can Soundtrack do everything that GarageBand? Is there anything that GarageBand does better than Soundtrack? Which one has more instrument sounds, loops, effects, etc.?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Somebody correct me if I am wrong here -- as I was about to purchase Soundtrack, but was saving up for some spare cash (after Christmas and all), when Steve anounces something that is cheaper and even more up my ally!

Soundtrack comes with 4,000 loops, & has a video window that lets you sync music to your video track. I haven't looked to far into it, but I believe there is no Midi support (can't hook up your USB or Midi musical keyboard & import music), so you were pretty much stuck with loops and recorded sounds.

GaraegBand only comes with 1,000 loops, but it has midi support, plus you can plug your electric Guitar right into the back of you Mac & basicly emulate a bunch of different amp sounds & record it while playing. You can buy a cheap midi to USB bridge & control a bunch of different instrament sounds with your midi keyboard ( or buy a USB keyboard). But Garage band does not have the video syncing capabilities.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    and the Jam Pack which adds more things to GarageBand.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    the programs have completely different functions and markets. Garageband is an app to make music and play around with while Soundtrack's sole purpose is to make... well... soundtracks.

Garageband is designed for people who have at least some interest in making music. Soundtrack is really designed for people who don't have an interest in making music, yet at the same time need music for their videos.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

the programs have completely different functions and markets. Garageband is an app to make music and play around with while Soundtrack's sole purpose is to make... well... soundtracks.

Garageband is designed for people who have at least some interest in making music. Soundtrack is really designed for people who don't have an interest in making music, yet at the same time need music for their videos.

True, but they do have significant overlaps. At some point I imagine you'd be able to open SoundTrack Projects in GarageBand although I doubt you'd be able to open GarageBand Projects in SoundTrack, because of the lack of synthesis/MIDI/sequencing capabilities.

Also consider that Soundtrack loops can be used in GarageBand. So If you want to mix some live performance into SoundTrack loops, you could get both and basically have a huge library of loops to choose from.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Is that confirmed?

I recently purchased Soundtrack and it's a bit intimidating to try to use as a music creation tool (if your working on pre-existing compositions), but I'd love it if all those loops were available in GarageBand!!! ???
  • Reply 6 of 7
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Hmm, and soundtrack came from Finalcut. So Finalcut -> Soundtrack -> Garageband. Hmm. I was thinking about buying Soundtrack, but seeing as Garageband is out, I might as well pick up iLife and the extra loops package.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I already have SoundTrack. I wonder if I can move the loops over into GarageBand.

We'll see come Thursday

Can't wait