Panther Finder sidebar icons can not display properly!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
As the pictures here showed, the desktop, music.... folders( which are located in my own user folder) can not display properly, though I had draged and dropped them for thousand times, also had repaired the system permission and cleaned the cache. it is still showed the generic folder icon, why?

any solution to this problem, is it a bug for finder in Panther?

thx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Go to the finder preferences and see if the sidebar items that you want are unchecked. If they are check them to see if the correct names appear with the correct icons. Beyond that, I guess you could repair permissions and see if that helps.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    sorry, I just don't get what your point is!>
  • Reply 3 of 15
    My point is that you should repair permissions. It is done by going to your Applications folder. Within it there is a folder called Utilities. Find the Disk Utility application. Select your hard drive from the list on the left hand side. There is a tab in the right hand side of the window called First Aid. Proceed to click the button Repair Permissions. Then log out and back in again to see if your icons have the correct icons.
  • Reply 4 of 15

before I post this thread, I had repair permission for hundreds of time.

but still can not get the right icon back.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Perhaps you can trash the Finder preferences?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    please tell me how to trash it.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.finder.plist

Throw that in the trash, empty the trash, and then log out and log in again.

If that doesn't work I would log in as a different user to see if it affecting all the users or just your user. I keep a pristine user for just this stuff.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by HOM

Home -> Library -> Preferences -> com.apple.finder.plist

Throw that in the trash, empty the trash, and then log out and log in again.

If that doesn't work I would log in as a different user to see if it affecting all the users or just your user. I keep a pristine user for just this stuff.

I will try it now see if it can fix the bug.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    1, for the plist method, still don't work

2, for creating a new user, I got the same problem with current account.

I am thinking of reinstall my panther.

damn!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Maybe you should let some of the more knowledgeable members weigh in before you do that.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    consult this thread

(specifically removing the caches...)

if that doesn't help try this link (more of the same, but different!)

but it really seems like the directory needs to be rebuilt and afaik that can't be done without a disk utility like DiskWarrior (absolute best for this purpose) or TechToolPro... (avoid norton like the plague)

have you installed any 3rd party hacks like candy bar or other "themes" for OS X?

also this really belongs in GB...
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

have you installed any 3rd party hacks like candy bar or other "themes" for OS X?

Bingo. That was my first thought when I saw the pictures. If it hasn't been said enough, I'll say it again: themes can be dangerous!

Try removing any themes or run one of those "aqua fix" tools, delete your caches, and reboot.

Moving to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    seen_xuseen_xu Posts: 134member
    after hundreds of attemps to fix it, I'd give it up, and reinstall my Panther.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

consult this thread

(specifically removing the caches...)

bingo, that is it - at least in my case;-)

couple of days ago i experienced some oddities in my sidebar too. some icons in the sidebar (and that is the odditie) changed their userdefined appearence into the generic icon again, - randomly, it seemed. While others kept their icon steady.

I moved the generic one from the sidebar and dragged the file (with userdefined icon) over to the sidebar again. Pleasure was short, split second later, the icon changed into generic one again. Same procedere over and over. It gaves me the creeps.

All at a sudden i learned: it only happend to sidebar-icons which windows/direct. were wide open AND files gonna moved inside or outside that particular window/direct. And the bottom line is: sidebar icons can loose their (userdefined) appearence while work is in progress;-)

well, perhaps that helps.

btw, repairing permissions is good from time to time, cleaning cache is much, much better. MacosX seems to be lousy (or should i say loosy?) when it comes to cachefiles. it likes to bust them, somehow ... imho.

bust ... er ... best
  • Reply 15 of 15
    seen_xuseen_xu Posts: 134member
    I had overwrite my panther, then fix the issue.

all the normal methods I had tried done nothing to it.

bad!