Is Hip Hop music here to stay?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I enjoy some of the stuff, as well as occasional hard core Rap. But I got to wonder whether this genre is here for good. Obviously very popular among the black community but also with "wanna be black," white kids.

After seeing a program of how rich some of these Rap artists are (and their spending habits), I hoped they've saved for a rainy day. One only needs to look back at MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, and Tone Loc to see where you can end up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    is POP music here to stay?
  • Reply 2 of 37
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

is POP music here to stay?

Huh?

It's only been around for decades...unless you're equating hiphop with pop.
  • Reply 3 of 37
    how is it any different?

it is the new popular music...
  • Reply 4 of 37
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

it is the new popular music...

So was disco, punk, and new age.

Some might argue that disco is still around, but music genres don't all remain popular for extended periods. Popular groups like the Bee Gees had a run of 5-6 years...after that, they were ridiculed and couldn't get any airplay.

The same fate could fall upon hip hop.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Obviously very popular among the black community but also with "wanna be black," white kids.

And, uh, people who just happen to like hip-hop music.

Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

So was disco, punk, and new age.

All of which still exist today (in there are still people recording, releasing and selling music in all these genres). They just don't have as high a profile as they once did.

I would say yes, hip-hop is definitely here to stay. It will undoubtedly change and eventually another genre will replace it...but it will continue to exist in one form or another as long as people are interested in rhythm, melody and ideas.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    Rock and Hip hop will last as long as it still speaks to the youth and keeps inspiring those with the musical spark. Hell, bluegrass and jazz are still popular among alot of people of many ages.

If a musical genre dies it is because it speaks only for the time it was created and no longer speaks to new listners because the circumstances of their time is different.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    You can only Rap about how much money you have so much before it gets old and its getting pretty freaking old.

Thats really why I don't listen to hip-hop. Its lame.

I wish it would go away but all the white thugs with hondas would have nothing to listen to on their killer system that daddy paid for...

[/angry rant]
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy

You can only Rap about how much money you have so much before it gets old and its getting pretty freaking old.

Thats really why I don't listen to hip-hop. Its lame.

I wish it would go away but all the white thugs with hondas would have nothing to listen to on their killer system that daddy paid for...

[/angry rant]

Then don't listen to main stream hip-hop then. There is some really good stuff out there. I haven't bought many CDs lately (because of price, mainly), and the last 3 hip-hop CDs I bought (Blazing Arrow by Blackalicious, Phrenology by the Roots, and Speakerboxxx/The Love Below by Outkast) don't fit into the category that you've created (ok, the Love Below is all about sex, but it's melodic and catchy).
  • Reply 9 of 37
    is today's "pop" any different...

something that was considered "pop" back then isn't necessarily "pop now...

one good example would be heh well anything from the 80s!

music changes... but the names stay the same...

will there be "rap" as we know it today 10 years from now? nota clue....

but "rap" has been around a long time and is constantly evolving... you can see "rap" in almost every genre... I think the only one that is left is country...
  • Reply 10 of 37
    My philosophy is, "if it sounds good, I'll listen to it"

I think people put too much effort into categorizing their tastes, and avoiding music.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I think people put too much effort into categorizing their tastes, and avoiding music.

True that. Who cares what it's called or where it comes from as long as it sounds good.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Yes, hip-hop is here to stay. Welcome to 1990.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    I miss the old 90s "dance" music, with the guy rapping and the female vocals... when I listen to those songs now, well, some of them havnt aged well.

For the record I dont really listen to hip hop, and it seems to be just a conglomeration of styles these days.. base beat, vocals, rap, and a couple of techno riffs thrown in, a little something for everbody (generic).

But then again its not like these hip hop artists (record companies) are selling music, its all about the image...

and of course there are plenty (not really sure, havnt looked) of exceptions !
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

Yes, hip-hop is here to stay. Welcome to 1990.

yeah hip hop has been around for along time and will stay
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by AsLan^

it seems to be just a conglomeration of styles these days.. base beat, vocals, rap, and a couple of techno riffs thrown in, a little something for everbody (generic).

Which must be something like 90% of all pop music, [music that has] something for everybody. [designed to sell in volume, quantity over quality and all that]
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Mainstream hip-hop seems to have really taken a downhill turn in the past few years. Almost everything that's getting any radio play time is unoriginal, insulting to the intelligence and/or morals, and devoid of any actual talent. Most successful hip-hop artists seem to get by just by selling their names and image.

The one notable exception is Eminem, who (like him or not) is not only one of the most talented hip-hop artists ever, but also arguably one of the greatest poets of our time.

I'm sure there's really good hip-hop folks out there today who just aren't getting any publicity or air time, but that applies to any genre of music. 'Pop' music is just what's popular at the time, and that's often dictated by what gets played on the radio and TV, and THAT is decided on the basis of marketing, not on any particular standard of talent or quality. The majority of everything to do with entertainment is crap. People who care enough to try can always dig up a few gems.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    So where do groups like Linkin Park and Linp Bizkit fall into this? Are they hip-hop or is rap-rock still considered a seperate genre?
  • Reply 18 of 37
    I think they fall into the category of bands that started out in a particular genre, or at least with their own distinct style. But commercial success and pressures gradually squeeze the individuality and credibility out of them until they just become more pop. Welcome to America. No wonder I can't find any music that I actually want to hear on iTMS.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

This is such a great point you make!

Fellowship
  • Reply 20 of 37
    I should think Hip-Hop is here to stay, there's a whole culture attached to it and there are a lot of genuine and serious artists involved in it.

However it also happens that Hip-Pop is the current fashion-music, all the commercial popsters are imitating serious artists to sell records, and it sounds like crap.

It makes me sick how any slick producer can throw together that same-old worn-out drum loop and some cheap drum'n'bass-esque synths and make a fortune out of it as long as the singer has a sixpack for his fans to scream about.

It also gets me how so many frauds get popular by going on and on about "the streets" and how "street" and tough they are and how great it is to carry a gun and kneecap the people who disaggree with you. It's not clever, all it does is spread hatred and cause violence, and (sadly) sell records. It's obvious when an artist really has lived on the streets and is still in touch with the culture, and they're not the ones who endorse

shoot-outs.

I think Influenza's description on Pop music pretty much sums it up.

</my angry rant>

So yes, Hip-Hop is probably here to stay although I dare say it will evolve somewhat like all music, Hip-Pop though, hopefully that will be gone forever after not too long.

Andrew