Just Received Repaired Powerbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I finally sent in my 1.25 Ghz Powerbook for White Spot repair, latch repair and battery life. I just picked it up and the following are my observations for anyone who hasn't sent there's in yet.

1. I asked them to check the battery becasuse I have never gotten over 3 hours use with everything turned down and I would really like to get the 4.5 hours that Apple suggests is possible. Unfortunately, they returned it to me with a note saying that my battery status fell within "normal ranges". I am a little dissapointed, but I got the response that I expected.

2. The latch seems to work better now. It actually closes tight when the computer is at an angle, something it wouldn't do before. I can't tell exactly what they did.

3. The white spots are gone and the screen seems much brighter and has a uniform brightness as well. It feels a bit heavier, but very solid.

I will post if the white spots begin appearing again, but my feeling is that it is safe to send in your powerbook if you have not already.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I agree it's safe... I just sent mine in, it was one of the first ones out of the gate last fall. Airborne picked it up Friday afternoon, and here it is, in perfect condition, Tuesday morning at 10am!!!!

AMAZING SERVICE!!! Screen is great, all my data is here, and it only took 1 BUSINESS DAY TO GET BACK TO ME!

From a guy that's had a few disappointments with Apple, (2 Newtons, among others) this was a brilliant experience.

Thanks guys! you rock.

Charlie
  • Reply 2 of 19
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Well I guess I should send mine in. Though I have to figure out when I don't want it for a couple days.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    I too have the gap on the left side, but it doesn't really bother me.

After a few days of using this screen I can see what I was missing. The original screen was not nearly as vivid as this one and of course it had the spots.

I am still rather dissapointed in the battery life I am getting and I wish Apple would acknowledge it. If I even got 3.5 hours once in a while I would be happy, but 4.5 is never under any circumstances going to happen.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I got my powerbook back today, after being told by a technician to send in for the second time with a gap issue and trackpad issue. The first time, they did nothing and said nothing. This time they put a note in telling me that the gap on the right is withing apple specifications as was the trackpad. The trackpad is still fritzy as the cursor jumps from line to line which is frustrating when typing and it starts making boxes. I put the controls originally as I had been told to. I hope you all have better luck. This is my first lemon from apple. Oh well.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    Quote:

Originally posted by HHansen726

I got my powerbook back today, after being told by a technician to send in for the second time with a gap issue and trackpad issue. The first time, they did nothing and said nothing. This time they put a note in telling me that the gap on the right is withing apple specifications as was the trackpad. The trackpad is still fritzy as the cursor jumps from line to line which is frustrating when typing and it starts making boxes. I put the controls originally as I had been told to. I hope you all have better luck. This is my first lemon from apple. Oh well.

I know you won't get anywhere with the gap complaint, but if there is something wrond with the trackpad, send it in again. 3 times should get you a replacement machine.

not to ask a stupid question, but are you sure your thumbs aren't interfering with each other over top of the track pad? I have had to train myself to not have my left thumb hanging around the track pad when I am mousing with my right. That causes the cursor to go crazy or not work at all.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    I'm going to call customer support tomorrow. I didn't hold my thumbs near the trackpad. When I first took it out of the box when it originally arrived, the trackpad was operating strangely. I thought it was something I was doing or a setting I hadn't set and so I went and set the trackpad settings. I took it in to an authorized repair/retailer and it did the same thing for them, so it wasn't me. I have now sent it twice and they didn't fix it or the gap. This is the first time that I have been disappointed with an Apple product. I was asked today by my principal if I could and would recommend buying powerbooks for teachers at our school since I have used Macs and just got a powerbook. After todays experience I don't think I can recommend apple again and usually I have been the one at my school campaigning to get them. Thanks for your advice, I will try and watch were my thumbs are when this happens again. Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    A little more info...

In Canada all repairs are now being handled by authorized Apple shops.

When you call in, they will provide you with a list so you can choose which one you want to use.

And since i always bought my macs from one place i got to know people there pretty well. I called them on Wednesday , new part was delivered on Thursday morning, and they replaced my lcd in 3h. How's that for service?

But the most important part is that they do not just replace LCDs, entire top assembly is being replaced. So if you have white spots, send it in.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I can get 4hours + with my 12" PowerBook . Five looks unlikely though.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    I got almost 6:30 out of my iBook G4 12" yesterday... if you want battery life, you need an iBook.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Hey guys, how much brighter are your screens when you get them back? I know that if I take my powerbook outside it is damn hard to read the screen in sunlight.

Also how much firmer are the backs of the screens, can you close it without the LCD going wacky?

Funny thing I noticed just now, if i push anywhere on the right back side of my screen, top or bottoms it makes the LCD weird at the same spot in the middle of the right hand side, and the same goes for the left only weird in the left hand side.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Hm... mine seems a bit brighter... when mine was gone I was using my old Ti 500, so maybe it's just in contrast to that...

I have to push pretty hard on the back of my screen to see any reaction on the front... I think the parts list on the "proof of repair" doc showed some type of screen support part... don't quite remember.

I know I'm quite stoked about the look now... nice to be worry-free again about it....

Good luck!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    I get 7 hours of batt life with my 12" powerbook if I am just doing text documents. 3 if I'm doing games such as warcraft. and a mix if I did music with texting.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    buckeyebuckeye Posts: 358member
    The screen is definitly brighter than the one that was on there before and thankfully it has even luminance across the whole screen. The original one seemed to be dimmer in the lower left.

It also feels very solid. You would have to press pretty hard on the back to get a reaction out of the screen.

Interestingly I had a stuck pixel yesterday and I got a little worried, but this morning it was gone.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Well what about them being outside, is it decently easy to see? I know mine is hard now, that is the most annoying thing about them.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by kyogen

AMAZING SERVICE!!! Screen is great, all my data is here, and it only took 1 BUSINESS DAY TO GET BACK TO ME!

My PowerBook Replacement: 20 BUSINESS DAYS (28 DAYS TOTAL). Completely unacceptable product supply in the UK
  • Reply 16 of 19
    alecralecr Posts: 33member
    What are the white spots?

I have a unusual situation with my 17", I have blue spotting on the laptop where my palms rest while typing. I have a round spot pattern on the left and a narrow rounded rectangle pattern on the right. Basically the spots are where my palm rests as I type. I am guessing it is from sweat. I cannot get the marks off with anything I have around the house, including a cleaning kit I bought from the apple store. I brought it in to have the feet replaced on the bottom and showed it to them a few months back and they told me they didn't know what it was, or what could cause it... and told me to bring it back in later. Now I need a new foot again and will bring it in tomorrow hopefully and bring it up again.

Anyone else heard of this?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    It's interesting that one of the symptoms of plagued Pbooks was that the screen was flimsy and incidentally caused white spots.

I remember commenting to a friend of mine when I got mine about how TOUGH the whole computer felt, everything about it is SOLID, I especially noted how the back, even when I depressed on it HEAVILY, wouldn't go all LCD whacked, which is something that his TiBook does even if you lightly touch the back.

there is a thick slab of aluminum back there!

the only gripe I have with that is, the trade-off for having such a rigid screen, is that it rocks back and wobbles when I set it down, feels like too much stress is going on the hinge. but I dunno, that's better than white spots!
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Just picked up my repaired 15" PB today. I dropped it off at the Apple store on Friday and they called saying it was ready on Tuesday. They replaced the screen. Previously there were two dead pixels. Now there are none. The lid feels more rigid. They also did something to the hinge. It used to creak a little, now it is very smooth and silent.

I asked them to check Airport reception. They said it was within specs but it is working better than before. Maybe they just seated the cables and card better. Previously it would wander between two and three bars. Now it is a steady three bars. In Macstumbler it used to bounce around, now I get a near steady value.

I am very happy I sent it in for repair.

Of course, I backed up my HD before sending it in. However, I was worried about someone else getting into the HD. Not so much at Apple as some third party in case it got lost or stolen during shipping. I turned on filevault before shipping and created a separate account for the technicians to use for testing. I felt somewhat secure this way. Even if someone could create a new password for my account they couldn't decrypt my home directory.

I have had six different PBs going back to the PB140. This is by far the best, most capable PB I have ever used.