White House Offce of National Drug Control Policy

Ad Age article.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Phillip Morris USA

It's nice to see that they're throwing their hats in the ring. It'll be one of two commercials:

1) We don't want kids to smoke. We'll wait until they're adults to hook them.

2) We have resources on our web site to help you stop smoking...and more nicotine in our cigarettes to keep you quitting.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Pepsi will introduce the iTunes music giveaway. I wonder if AOL will mention the iTMS also.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Slightly off topic... slightly, but I wonder what is going on with the MacDonalds deal.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It was the NY Post, dude...
  • Reply 5 of 20
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    American Legacy Foundation: sounds boring

Anheuser-Busch Cos.: Ah yes, budweiser, always a good ad

America On Line: snooz, i dont want to hear Jerry Stiller and Snoop Dog yap about it being new and improved.

Bayer and GlaxoSmithKline: side effects may include boredom

DaimlerChrysler: please no more Celine Deion

FedEx: What can Brown come up with for you?

Frito-Lay: something nice hopefully

General Motors Corp.: Showcase the "10 new cars campaign"

H&R Block: they'll going to try to hard, i can feel it

Monster Worldwide: quirky crap probably

National Football League: united way commercials

Pepsi-Cola Co.: the one you folks have been waiting for, hopefully they spared no expense on this

Phillip Morris USA:

Proctor & Gamble Co.: whatever

Sony Pictures: Spiderman 2!

Touchstone Pictures: i lost interest in this post so ill just submit

Universal Studios

Visa USA

Warner Bros.

• Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Monster Worldwide: quirky crap probably

The smiling dead guy ad was hilarious.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Anyone notice that the list is void of Apple? I'm hoping they have something set up and ready to go for the superbowl. Any way they could have just not been on the list?
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Anyone notice that the list is void of Apple? I'm hoping they have something set up and ready to go for the superbowl. Any way they could have just not been on the list?

I hope Apple adds themselves to this list too, it wouldnt be right if they just left Pepsi to do their work for them. Come on Lee ****ing Clow, do something for a change bitch! Your damn huge bell bottom sleeves better have a nice ad up them, we want the good shit!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I have this sinking feeling that Apple isn't going to release anything special at the superbowl...

the thing is that its not that easy to just decide at the drop of a hat to do a superbowl ad... so if apple isn't on there now, they wont be in 2 weeks... unless the price drops dramatically... and even then they would just run a canned ad they already have ready... nothing special--because there is no time to plan... if it was special it would have already been setup and paid for...

whats that? the pepsi ad was announced months ago?

but I thought that pepsi was just promoting the iTMS and the iPod, those were just talked about at the Keynote... how could they have anything new to say about it?

Oh..... Pepsi bought more then one spot? And they are giving it to apple?!

that makes me feel much better...

</sinking schizophrenic feeling...>

so... stealth apple spot through pepsi? its the only logical (sic) explanation!

the superbowl is the 1st right? maybe announce something the 24th and advertise it after the fact at the superbowl?

on what date was the original 1984 ad shown? the 22nd? what superbowl was it?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

No! I'm speechless... NOOOOO!

Hello government, national debt calling... And how much does a superbowl ad cost? I'm sick & tired of people trying to make me feel bad. I can somewhat respect Phillip Morris USA airing a commercial since they usually don't make me feel like crap even though I don't smoke or do drugs.

But overall the commercials this year better beat last years. Those sucked, um, unsuckables. Especially for people who watch the game for the commercials.

I'm almost at the point where if a anti-drug commercial airs during the superbowl, I'll take a shot of whisky. Doesn't sound that bad actually.

FIGHT THE MACHINE!
  • Reply 11 of 20
    For the past 4 plus years Apple has not advertised at the Superbowl.

The public service announcement by the "American Legacy Foundation" may sound boring.... but since it has not aired yet I'd wait and see. Nothing like critiquing ads before they air!

There are still some spots available, but they are all for the 4th Quarter.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

I have this sinking feeling that Apple isn't going to release anything special at the superbowl...

the thing is that its not that easy to just decide at the drop of a hat to do a superbowl ad... so if apple isn't on there now, they wont be in 2 weeks... unless the price drops dramatically... and even then they would just run a canned ad they already have ready... nothing special--because there is no time to plan... if it was special it would have already been setup and paid for...

C'mon now. It's never too late for a commercial. Especially with Steve Jobs' ego factor. Even though Apple wouldn't sink the necessary money into the iTMS to run a superbowl ad, they might do it for the iPod (or maybe HP will do one for the 'hPod'). But with Steve, you never know.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I seriously doubt Apple will run any kind of ad since only the less important 4th quarter spots remain. Those go for less money then the prime first half and 3rd Quarter ads do. Running an ad has nothing to do with SJ's ego. If it did, there would have been ads in the last 4 Superbowl broadcasts and this one as well. Apple is so much in the mainstream news right now they don't need to spend any more money then they have on tv ads. Look for a massive print and tv ad campagin for the iPod mini next month.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

I seriously doubt Apple will run any kind of ad since only the less important 4th quarter spots remain. Those go for less money then the prime first half and 3rd Quarter ads do. Running an ad has nothing to do with SJ's ego. If it did, there would have been ads in the last 4 Superbowl broadcasts and this one as well. Apple is so much in the mainstream news right now they don't need to spend any more money then they have on tv ads. Look for a massive print and tv ad campagin for the iPod mini next month.

Interesting point, with Apple everywhere right now and the iPod seemingly has a household name...why bother? The 1984 ad was significant because it got Apple's name out there and got a watching public to become curious. The superbowl's price of 2.4 million for a 30 second spot may not be worth it to Apple, their corporate brand and logo is one of the most recognized in the world, it really isnt a paramount issue.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    please! just a 30 second ipod commerical (the new one from the keynote). thats all i ask! (and the pepsi one)
  • Reply 16 of 20
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

please! just a 30 second ipod commerical (the new one from the keynote). thats all i ask! (and the pepsi one)

That or an ad touting the new G5s @ 2.6ghz that will be released 7 days from now.

Messiahtosh: Why would you get your name out there, make it a household name, than stop advertising? That doesn't make a lick of sense. Care to explain? The superbowl is the most watched TV event in the world, no matter how household your name is, you still need to keep it out there.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

That or an ad touting the new G5s @ 2.6ghz that will be released 7 days from now.

Messiahtosh: Why would you get your name out there, make it a household name, than stop advertising? That doesn't make a lick of sense. Care to explain? The superbowl is the most watched TV event in the world, no matter how household your name is, you still need to keep it out there.

How about this for an explaination...

Why spend your 2.4 million dollars an an advertisement running for 30 seconds? That is 80,000 dollars per second of advertising. It is not even a question of the money so much as why pay for it yourself when Pepsi will do it for you? Everyone knows what Apple is, I dont think 30 seconds will tell them exactly what Apple sells, and why it is better. Let Pepsi tout the new iTMS ad for them, they get their name, logo, and product involved in a superbowl ad...all while not having to pay for it...now that is brilliant marketing.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    The way people say it makes Apple sound like a pimp. "Pepsi you stupid trick, wheres my ad?" Gangsta. Apple should hoe slap AOL while they're at it.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    new ipod ad just aired in afc champ. game--no superbowl debut i guess...
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

14 days from now you mean. I don't think the number 2.6 GHz would strike any audience with a particular flair. Either they don't know how big a leap that is from the previous release or they'll immediately compare the number itself to Intel's 3.2 or 3.4 by then.