Purchase Advice: CRT iMacs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, my girlfriend's PC has finally crapped out. Not beyond the point of usability (arguably); but after years without even firewall protection, it's full to the brim of spyware, viruses, etc.

So, I've gone on my quest to get her a Mac, at her request. I'm not a wealthy man, and she doesn't have very high demands, so I think that a CRT iMac would be the most affordable, stable, and in general appropriate desktop computer for her. Looking to get either a 333MHz, 350MHz, 400MHz or 450MHz model.

Now, there are a couple problems. What version of the OS would suit her best? I know it's pretty much between 9.2.2 and 10.3, but I'm afraid that coming of a 1.5GHz Pentium will leave a pokey impression in OS X, as I've only experienced it on a G4 processor with Quartz Extreme. Plus, 9.2.2 doesn't have the support. OS X also raises the cost a bit--it's difficult to find a used iMac that comes packaged with all the software, let alone 10.3. If it doesn't come with it, though, it's a good exuse to get the multi-license pack, as I'm still running 10.2.8.

This is a potential switch . What would you reccomend?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    OS X 10.3 is actually pretty usable on a 400mhz iMac. Just make sure you max out the ram. I would go with 10.3 personally because it's so much better than 9.2 and you can get the new iApps working with it.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Go for a 400mhz or above with 10.3. No sense in cheating her out of a quality computer. And like torifile said, max out the ram. Check on eBay or sites like these:

smalldog

dealmac

And one that always seems to have great deals:

Mac of All Trades

Happy searching.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Go for a 400mhz or above with 10.3. No sense in cheating her out of a quality computer. And like torifile said, max out the ram. Check on eBay or sites like these:

smalldog

dealmac

And one that always seems to have great deals:

Mac of All Trades

Happy searching.

I've checked out Mac of All Trades before, but I can't for the life of me figure out which version of the OS (if any) ships with there machines . Would you happen to know?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    get 10.3 on there with at least 256 it runs great for me... just make sure to install "shadow killer" to get rid of the drop shadows...

how much are you willing to spend?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    Why don't you just reformat and reinstall Windows on the PC and save your money? She may as well get her money's worth out of the machine, and I'm sure it has a few years left in it. And no matter what, the iMac will be slower than a 1.5 GHz P4. I know this won't be the popular suggestion, but I thought I would throw it out there.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    i have a 400 Mhz iMac with 768 MB of RAM, and a 120 GB drive, it's running 10.3, it works fine, except for quartz extreme, which i actually enabled with tinkertool system (see www.versiontracker.com for details), and everything seems to be working fine, so, max the RAM, max the HD, and get 10.3
  • Reply 8 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    A few things:

1) Don't get a 333 MHz iMac. They are an older style with an EVEN SLOWER graphics chip than the 350 MHz and above.

2) Don't get a 350 MHz one either - they don't have onboard Firewire, which is important if you want to add anything (a new optical drive, an extra hard drive, or an iPod).

3) Although Mac Of All Trades has good prices, I've heard some pretty awful stuff about them. I'd probably avoid them and go with eBay myself, or perhaps one of the many message board classifieds (there's one at MacNN.com).

4) Quartz Extreme will not run on any CRT iMac. You can't enable it with any amount of hacking because the graphics system is incompatible with it. You also can't replace the graphics system. However, OS X will still run okay without Quartz Extreme.

A better choice might be a blue and white G3. These are under $200 for a stock machine these days, and they still have a great deal of upgrade capacity. You can change the processor - the original is a 300, 350, 400, or 450 MHz G3, and it can take up to a 500 MHz G4 or a 900 MHz G3. Also, the graphics can be upgraded to something Quartz Extreme capable. You can just use the monitor from the PC with a blue G3 if you get one - it can't be any worse than the screen on a CRT iMac. Even stock, it's okay in OS X. Add a good sized hard drive, a minimum of 512 MB of RAM, and a Radeon PCI (usually $50-$100), and you'll have a system that's a bit faster than a CRT iMac for probably only a little more money. Plus, it'll last longer, because you can upgrade the various parts of it quite easily.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I have a CRT iMac 500 (Sept. 2001) and it works just fine with OSX. Actually, it is faster in 10.3 than it was in 10.1 and 10.2. Heck, I?d even say it feels ?snappy? (sorry for using that word, for those who object) even though I can?t take advantage of Quartz Extreme. Pretty much the only thing that does not feel ?snappy? on my iMac is MS Office X, but I am not sure that any amount of processing power is going to make that program feel snappy. But I understand that Office X will be updated soon and this, in any case, is the subject of another thread?.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    get an emac. cheap, crt, and excellent (i love mine, and havent had any problems except for pushing video programs harder than my processor can take). there are some great deals right now.

edit: and please go ahead and get 10.3
  • Reply 11 of 14
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    ipodandimac has a good point - for a little more money invested right away, you can get a used eMac which will give you a HUGE (really) increase in performance and speed over a CRT iMac. 400-500 MHz CRT iMacs are $200-$400 these days, but used eMacs start as low as $500. That's a pretty good price and for that little extra bit of cash, you get a much better machine. Adding the G4 and Quartz Extreme (not to mention the much better built in monitor) will definitely make a difference.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

get an emac. cheap, crt, and excellent (i love mine, and havent had any problems except for pushing video programs harder than my processor can take). there are some great deals right now.

edit: and please go ahead and get 10.3

i totally agree, that's my next machine i'm gonna get before i shell out the bling bling $$$ for my G5
  • Reply 13 of 14
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iSushi

What would you reccomend?

I recommend you pirate all the software you need, and put the extra money you save toward an 700 - 800mhz eMac. o_O

Honestly.. I would not recommend anything less. Even my grandma has an eMac. =)

- Xidius
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by >_>

I recommend you pirate all the software you need, and put the extra money you save toward an 700 - 800mhz eMac. o_O

Honestly.. I would not recommend anything less. Even my grandma has an eMac. =)

- Xidius

I don't know what o_O means, but it better mean that your winking. DON'T STEAL SOFTWARE!!! In the words of Fran, "you'll get hit with the ban stick for saying stuff like that".