Finale 2004 for OS X ship date

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
from the MakeMusic website:

"We are happy to report that the Finale Macintosh OS X disc has completed our rigorous testing cycle with flying colors and is currently in production. We have made arrangements to expedite the process so we expect to start shipping on January 16.

As requested, this is an OS X version only ? including support for OS 10.3 Panther. We are already focusing our full attention on our next project, Finale 2004b, which will support OS 9 and offer additional improvements."

I hope they're telling the truth, because I've been waiting for friggin' ever on this release and I've heard this song before. Notice that they're even now waffling on the ship date, "we expect." For those that have followed this, it's been a complete fiasco. This had better be the best goddamned version of Finale ever or they're done for. Sibelius will walk all over them.

Apple is so focused on music these days, maybe they should buy them? That would whip the company into shape. Nah, never would happen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ! Finally!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Sounds good. I've heard a little bit about the crap that has happened with Finale, but haven't followed it too closely. Hope everything works out for you. I stopped using Finale years ago, so I don't care anymore, but I would be pissed if I was in your shoes.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    sunreinsunrein Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Sounds good. I've heard a little bit about the crap that has happened with Finale, but haven't followed it too closely. Hope everything works out for you. I stopped using Finale years ago, so I don't care anymore, but I would be pissed if I was in your shoes.

Unfortunately, I switched from Windows to Mac based on Finale 2004's original release dates. I've had to keep using my old windows machine just for Finale while my beautiful, new powerbook looks on with jealousy. I'll be doubly glad to see this software just to lose my windows machine and maybe convert it into a linux box.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Why wouldn't you just use Sibelius? I shelled out for Digital Performer a few years ago and it was just too complex. I need something that records as sheet music, and treats me like a musician not a CS major. I love dicking with computers but not when I'm composing. However Sibelius 2.11 is buggy as hell. I'm getting 3 soon I hope it's better. It's so easy even if the interface is a little kiddy, it's worth it. All I want is to record music as sheet music and do things easily without having to worry about MIDI this and that. MIDI should go wireless or something. I like how in Sibelius the MIDI setup dialogue appears at startup to make sure MIDI works both ways. I used to want to get Finale. Does anyone have any opinions about Sibelius vs. Finale 2004?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Why wouldn't you just use Sibelius? I shelled out for Digital Performer a few years ago and it was just too complex. I need something that records as sheet music, and treats me like a musician not a CS major. I love dicking with computers but not when I'm composing. However Sibelius 2.11 is buggy as hell. I'm getting 3 soon I hope it's better. It's so easy even if the interface is a little kiddy, it's worth it. All I want is to record music as sheet music and do things easily without having to worry about MIDI this and that. MIDI should go wireless or something. I like how in Sibelius the MIDI setup dialogue appears at startup to make sure MIDI works both ways. I used to want to get Finale. Does anyone have any opinions about Sibelius vs. Finale 2004?

I have no doubt that Sibelius is a great program, but I have few reasons that I prefer to use Finale. The first is that I've been using Finale for almost 10 years and I'd rather spend my time composing than learning a new piece of software. I've already surmounted the learning curve of Finale and have mastered every inch of the program. Second, I compose using highly non-standard notation schemes that Sibelius isn't built to handle. (I've tried) Third, I use Finale as a notation engraving program and not at all for its MIDI capabilities which Sibelius is better with. (although if you're really serious about MIDI, there are much better programs to use)

My general read on the two programs is that Sibelius is much easier to learn and will handle 95% of the needs of notation, but while Finale is more complex to learn, it can handle the remaining 5% that a few of us need. I happen to fall into that 5%. I'm sure some will quibble with my opinion, but that's just what it is, an opinion.

BTW - There are some new technologies that would allow for wireless ad-hoc MIDI setups. mLAN and MaGIC come to mind. Good things are coming for music technology.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Yeah it has taken a while... but good things are finally coming to the Mac faithful in the music community.

Just wait until NAMM (not long now) - OS X and it's tight integration of audio and MIDI should rock with what developers have been working on for the past few years.

About time I say too!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    I've been shot down before by Finale/Sibelius users before for suggesting Harmony Assistant as an alternative, and to be fair, earlier versions were plagued by interface problems (recent versions are much improved)...

...but for $65.00 with free lifetime upgrades I don't believe there is anything that Finale/Sibelius can do that this program can not. The OS X version has been available for quite some time.

I do understand that learning a new app can be an investment (especially for programs as complex as these), and may not be worth it for some folks-- and granted, I don't have previous experience with "the big boys", but I'd be interested in hearing specifics as to WHY Harmony Assistant could not be considered as a viable alternative.

Features? Capabilities? Workflow?

Note: I use Harmony primarily for transcribing/converting sheet music to tablature and vice-versa for the purpose of being able to hear a piece of music that I may wish to learn, as well as a little bit of composing. Being able to scan in a piece of sheet music and edit/transpose, hear it in context, etc. has been invaluable to me. The browser plug-in also makes it easy to share compositions for collaboration, and I'm very pleased with the output for print.

Thanx.