iTMS songs cracked for real this time.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    -d'oh!-
  • Reply 22 of 44
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

I have started buying songs off of the iTunes Music Store and I am very afraid of losing my investment if I don't back them up in a way that makes me feel 100% secure that I'll have convenient access to them should a disaster happen like my hard drive crashing.

If you want to back up your iTMS music just burn the files to CD or DVD. Then if your Mac gets sucked up by a tornado or something, just copy the files onto your new Mac and activate it.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Yeah, that is the workaround, but I'd really like to preserve the quality of the AAC that I paid for.

How does burning the AAC files to a data DVD or CD not preserve the quality?

However, there is a caveat to the tornado scenario. Since you never did de-authorize the destroyed computer, you're gong to have to contact Apple via e-mail or phone to have them do it for you.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Quote:

I'm talking about for some reason losing the ability to convince Apple that I own the files (forgotten password, etc.) and therefore not being able to activate playback of a backed up protected AAC. Is this all going over your head? And I just don't want to have the hassle of having to call Apple to convince them of what I own. If I have 1000 tracks, do I have to gove them a list? Will they believe me? I'd rather not worry about that and just have the music.

Yes, it is going over my head. When you say quality in reference to AAC, it generally means one thing. If you're talking about convenience, then say so. That would be quality of service and not AAC.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I'm talking about for some reason losing the ability to convince Apple that I own the files (forgotten password, etc.) and therefore not being able to activate playback of a backed up protected AAC. Is this all going over your head? And I just don't want to have the hassle of having to call Apple to convince them of what I own. If I have 1000 tracks, do I have to gove them a list? Will they believe me? I'd rather not worry about that and just have the music.

For these reasons, I'm not ready to stop buying CDs. I only buy from iTMS whe it's something I can't find in the store. If I could strip the protection for my own use, however, I'd be a little more confident, and buy more music from Apple.

Your sh*t out luck anyway if that's what you want to do. The way you describe this is if your using another music service, but I'll indulge you if your just not using your head.
    Quote:

I'd rather not worry about that and just have the music.

You have the music.

Once you download those songs they are your responsibility. Apple's not going to be responsible for you. Why should they let you download them twice.

Apple doesn't keep the songs at a personal database of yours that you can listen to like press play or something. Those songs are on your drive. If you don't burn them to CD (if what your truly interested in doing is backing up your music) than it's your fault. The reason for the copy protection is to stop mass duplication. When people back up a CD they burn it.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    You don't even have to call Apple. I sent them an email from the iTunes page and 2 hours later my computers were deauthorized and I could go in and authorize them one at a time. I don't think they can do individual computers, but they can do all of them in one shot.

Now, now, now, you know that us Americans would be liable under the DMCA for even talking about how to strip the DRM out of a song
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:

Let's say I have 1000 tracks. That would be one hell of a task right there.

It's not any more of a task than deauthorizing a computer for a person who downloaded just one track. The computer holds the key, and all the tracks you download have the same lock.

I'm not arguing that removing the DRM from the files is evil. Of course it isn't, and you'd likely never get caught in the act, but since you agreed to their terms they can surely dismiss your rights to the music altogether. After that, you'd be in possession of the songs illegally even though you did pay for them.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Except that you paid for the song, not a subscription to the song. This is uncharted waters, but there is no good reason why online song sellers (as opposed to online subscription sellers) would get anything more than the standard right-of-first-sale.

Barto
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Except that you paid for the song, not a subscription to the song. This is uncharted waters, but there is no good reason why online song sellers (as opposed to online subscription sellers) would get anything more than the standard right-of-first-sale.

Barto

You paid for the rights, just like when you buy a CD. Your rights may be revoked if you violate the terms of the sale.

There's nothing complex about this at all.

1) Apple makes the EULA accessible to you before you agree to the terms.

2) You agree to the terms.

3) You break the terms.

4) Apple revokes your rights because you broke the terms.

When stuff like this becomes contestable in a modern legal arena, then that's really uncharted waters. Suddenly signatures and written contracts mean nothing. You voluntarily accepted the terms of a service. You are expected to abide them.

Your personal rights include the option to take your business elsewhere. It is not your unalienable right to download music from the iTMS on your own terms.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

1) Apple makes the EULA accessible to you before you agree to the terms.

2) You agree to the terms.

3) You break the terms.

4) Apple revokes your rights because you broke the terms.

No single EULA has ever, EVER been tested in court.

Why dontcha call back when one is.

Barto
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:

Barto

EVER, eh?

Why would that be?
  • Reply 32 of 44
    delete
  • Reply 33 of 44
    thoth2thoth2 Posts: 277member
    Quote:

Barto

Well, if I could go back in time and call you from 1996, I would, but this will have to do:

See, e.g., ProCD v. Zeidenberg, 86 F.3d 1447 (7th Cir. 1996). It was upheld against users of the product. It was a shrinkwrap EULA.

Thoth
  • Reply 34 of 44
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

This whole discussion was started by onlooker's question,"What is the point?"

My point is that I'd be more comfortable buying iTMS songs if there were a crack. I know this is not my automatic right if I choose to buy from Apple anyway. I know I can take my dollar elsewhere.

But I'd simply be more comfortable if there were a crack.

I never said iTMS sucks (except in regards to the selection). I'm all for it. But I'm also really, really picky about my music collection.

Simple Solution: DONT BUY THE SONGS IF YOU CANT LIVE WITH THE DEAL.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

Simple Solution: DONT BUY THE SONGS IF YOU CANT LIVE WITH THE DEAL.

Easier said than done. Most songs you have a choice between DRM and Copy Protection, with no other legal option. A rock and a hard place.

Barto
  • Reply 36 of 44
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Actually, copy protection is still not a problem for Macs. I've never come across a "Copy Controlled" CD that didn't simply rip into iTunes at full quality without a hitch. Or is it just my PowerBook that doesn't have this problem? Has anyone out there had problems ripping "Copy Controlled" CD's or CD's with other types of protection (are there any?)

A few months ago, a person brought an iMac into the store because it would KP every time the cd was put into the computer and it wouldn't boot if it was left in the drive. We tried it out on a few other computers and it would KP all of them. It was a Canadian Celine Dion CD.