Apple PDA?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Is it possible that apple will release its own PDA device in the near future? I just want to know your inputs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    No.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Search is your friend. We have already had several flame wars...I mean, threads about this. Search for them.

In my opinion, I think it's very possible, and likely too. The rumors about this kind of thing are few and far between right now though. We'll see. Maybe a few years down the road we'll see the return of the original PDA, the Newton.

Edit: Welcome to AI. Hope your stay is enjoyable.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    gamblorgamblor Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Maybe a few years down the road we'll see the return of the original PDA, the Newton.

Over Stevo's dead body. Once upon a time, Stevo hired Scully. Scully forced Stevo out. Scully creates his baby, the Newton. Scully leaves. Newton spun off into Newton inc. Stevo comes back. Even though it was about to post its first profitable quarter ever, Stevo rolls Newton Inc. back into Apple just so he can kill it off out of spite for Scully. Tis sad, but true.

Moral of the story: Don't piss off Stevo.

The Newton isn't coming back until Stevo is out of the company, and that probably won't happen for a while...
  • Reply 4 of 14
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    I think Apple will reverse itself into the PDA market by adding improved functionality to the iPod.

And, in case you missed that - look again: iPersonal Organisational Device!
  • Reply 5 of 14
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I'm sorry for yesterday. I like you, I confess.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    HP building a PDA with MacOS X Lite seems much more likely to me than Apple doing it themselves - but see that thread.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=36642
  • Reply 7 of 14
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Some day there will be an Apple PDA. It will be a marvel of engineering and simplicity. It will change the world. Everyday we get one step closer to that dream. GO APPLE!
  • Reply 8 of 14
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

Some day there will be an Apple PDA. It will be a marvel of engineering and simplicity. It will change the world. Everyday we get one step closer to that dream. GO APPLE!

I think that Steve Jobs has had visions about the Apple PDA (according to Fran441, UberAuthority on ApplePDA Speculation of Yore, SJ pulled an Apple PDA presentation while on a MacWorld stage).

I think that Steve believes that the release of an Apple PDA is one of the True Signs of the End of the World. Steve Jobs knows this. He killed the Newton just before the Earth plummeted into the sun. Without Steve Jobs, the oceans would have turned to steam and the land would have melted.

On the upside, Ganymeade (a partially frozen moon of Jupiter) would probably have thawed out a bit).

To this day, Steve Jobs maintains a lonely vigil in Cupertino, keeping The PDA Demon safely locked.

The release of an iTablet will, of course, mean the freezing over of Hell and (it follows) the end of the Universe.

Thanks, Mr. Jobs. Keep up the good work.

Aries 1B
  • Reply 9 of 14
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Quote:

Originally posted by brianelmi

I just want to know your inputs.

Mebbe one of the female members can help you out, though this isn't really that kind of board.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac+

... And, in case you missed that - look again: iPersonal Organisational Device!

I have always wondered about that name. "Pod" usually comes from Greek meaning "foot", but there is another meaning "shell" (as in a pea-pod) which is of uncertain origin.

In Apple's case I suppose the more direct ancestor is the pod of the movie 2001, as in "open the pod bay doors, Hal". Yet that pod has little functional resemblance to the iPod.

Since the iPod is basically a collection of third-party products thrown together with a little Apple glue, I don't think the current design is extensible in any way. It has limited functionality to work with iCal calendars... but thanks to third-party software, iCal syncing works better with Apple's original PDA, the Newton.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    pevepeve Posts: 518member
    one day we will have a small color gadget to help us through our lifes.

and i sure hope it has an apple on it.

because i want it to:

-work flawless

-enhance my life

-be fun

and that is something apple can do.

look at the userinterfaces on the cellphones&pda's out there!

like my sonyericsson t68i phone:

-works ok

- ...aem ...well

- ...aem

it just isn't it!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    A PDA? no.

A PDA/phone? a remote possibility.

The device would have to be an Internet, .Mac companion, always connected and be able to write and read email easily. There are companies that already do this pretty well, so I don't think it'll happen. Blackberry and Treo 6xx do a pretty good job and there really isn't an opening like in the music player market pre-iPod. Maybe a remote remote possibility...
  • Reply 13 of 14
    i think they'll wait for the ipod to develop into a pda/phone/music player
  • Reply 14 of 14
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Some day... mark my words. If Apple were developing a PDA right now, I'd bet that they are using the PPC 440. A nice, small, efficient processor made by IBM.