G4 Powerbook cursor jumping

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi folks. I'm having a very big problem with my cursor jumping at random times. It happens in several applications and is making typing near impossible. This is my third try at wrting this, if that give you an idea.

PowerBook G4 (1.25 GHz), OSX 10.2.3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

Hi folks. I'm having a very big problem with my cursor jumping at random times. It happens in several applications and is making typing near impossible. This is my third try at wrting this, if that give you an idea.

PowerBook G4 (1.25 GHz), OSX 10.2.3.

Try restarting

I had this problem once after I spilled orange juice on my track pad, and once the other day, but a restart fixed mine the other day, waiting for it to try fixed it when I spilled on it
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Its been restarted a few times. Also zapped program ram and power management unit. fixed permissions. Tried other applications. Its happening in word, adobe acrobat, text edit and safari (this. post in fact -argh).

Moving the cursor with my BT mouse is ok. Its just when I'm typing.

Its happened about 4 times while writing this post.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'm not sure if this is going to help or not, but I do have that "ignore accidental trackpad input" box checked in my mouse/keyboard system prefs.

Perhaps, while typing, your sleeve or something hits the trackpad, making the cursor jump? I don't know.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I also have it checked-but thanks anyway for the responses. Its a wierd problem, and BAD. I have a slight worry that it came with the last OS update. But I'm not 100% sure.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Perhaps, while typing, your sleeve or something hits the trackpad, making the cursor jump? I don't know.

I guess this. And maybe heat from your hands?if they are *near* (very near) the trackpad, hot hands can cause it to detect input and move the cursor.

I had problems like this a while ago. I thought the hot hands thing was an old wives' tale, but I also heard that trackpads work by heat sensors (hence you cant use one while wearing gloves)?so maybe its plausible.

Chill out man
  • Reply 6 of 10
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

I guess this. And maybe heat from your hands?if they are *near* (very near) the trackpad, hot hands can cause it to detect input and move the cursor.

That might explain why my trackpad (PB 12") doesn't work quite right when it's cold.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Hmmm....I just posted about what sounds like a similar problem with my 12" iBook G4 earlier today. I called Apple Canada about it today and talked to one of the most disinterested techs i've ever had the pleasure of speaking to. Anyhow, after I told her my hands were not wet/had no lotion on them/etc... and that I had reset the PMU whe mad sure that accidental trackpad use checkbox was checked, she told me to bring it in to an Authorised Apple Service Centre. So I sent one an e-mail and they called me back while I was out. I'll take it in tomorrow or Friday and see what they say. I'll keep you posted.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    EDIT: Double post.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Problem solved sort of!!! First of all, thank you to all you Geniuses!!!

Yes, I did have the accidental button checked without avail, but I didn't have the other box disabling the trackpad when the bluetooth mouse is active checked. I am using a BT mouse and had problems with it when I changed the battery yesterday. I changed a lot of settings to get it working (see below) and unchecking the said box has been one change to my system. I have had no problems typing since I've disable the trackpad.

Now, I know I stay clear of the trackpad when I type. My clothing just touches the corner of the PowerBook. This thing is way too sensitive. Sometimes my hands may be a bit moist since I've been working on this thing for hours at a time writing a grant and, as you all know, these things can get a little warm. I also think that the last OS update does have an influence in that what ever it did to battery life may also be affecting the overall heat output and hence mess with the trackpad. If I didn't have a BT mouse I would be up the creek, so this is not a good thing.

Aside: If anyone ever has problems with their BT mouse after changing the battery, i.e. it powers up, it connect to your Mac, you can click the mouse, but the cursor won't move: I have the answer. One battery is in the wrong position. I thought I put them in correctly, and figured if I didn't the thing wouldn't even turn on. After several hours of frustration and a call to Apple (no clue on their part to this and the other problem) I took the batteries out again and looked closely at the diagram-duh! Half the baterries in correctly = half a working mouse-weird!

thanks again folks.

Gabid, you may need a BT mouse!
  • Reply 10 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Your sleeve can control your trackpad?! Doesn't work on mine.

On a semi related note, I notice even when I have my mouse hooked up, I will often find myself using the trackpad, even though it's not as fast as the mouse. Also when I'm at school I often go to set my finger on the table in front of the keyboard out of habbit.