Timeline for the NEW PowerMac G5 Release

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just Vote...

If you have thoughts... then throw them down.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    Announced January 20-26th

Shipping...
  • Reply 2 of 48
    Come on now Guys why would Apple not do a big super bowl ad, to launch the next big thing it is the 20th anniversary and Steve hinted at this in the keynote when he said 2004 was going to be a big year, and that we were going to see lots of stuff to be released later this year.
  • Reply 3 of 48
    While a 25-30% Mhz boost on the Powermac G5s is nice, it's hardly the "Next big thing". I reckon a mid-late Feb update on the PMs and a possible major revision to the iMacs or something completely new and different for the 20th anniversary in late Jan, but of course this is nothing more than just speculation.
  • Reply 4 of 48
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    c'mon end of jan!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 48
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Why work yourself up into a tizzy? I say later on in March, just because I am hoping for a pleasant surprise.
  • Reply 6 of 48
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I said March, but I think there is a chance at an earlier announcement. Like late Jan, or early Feb.

I just hope for a Dual 3GHz G5 sooner rather than later.

I think every poll should have a none of the above choice.
  • Reply 7 of 48
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Mmm, how about summer when we get dual 4 ghz babies?
  • Reply 8 of 48
    jan 20th, announced PM speedbumps to 2.0, 2.4, 2.6

feb 1st--iTunes/Pepsi stuff at Superbowl

feb 3rd--iMac G5 announced--shipping 1.8 G5 with 20 inch model today, 1.6 G5 with 17inch lcd in march (to get the high end to sell for a month first)...same price as current model---use your iTunes on the newest iMac commercial airs that night

march/april---modified G5 PB is announced--running at 1.0 and 1.2 for heat reasons...shipping may 1st

g
  • Reply 9 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

feb 3rd--iMac G5 announced--shipping 1.8 G5 with 20 inch model today, 1.6 G5 with 17inch lcd in march (to get the high end to sell for a month first)...same price as current model---use your iTunes on the newest iMac commercial airs that night

march/april---modified G5 PB is announced--running at 1.0 and 1.2 for heat reasons...shipping may 1st

g

i think you're right on the money with your predictions.

i think they will squeeze a few more mhz into the PB's though!
  • Reply 10 of 48
    I hope Apple blow past 2.6 personally.

If they reached 3.2 gig or more in this revision then that would be astonishing. That would be worth shouting about.

Imagine the PR coupe for Apple if they could take Intel in this revision. That would be massive news!

If IBM got 2.5 on .13 then why not a 3 gig 970 end of January?

A dual that would blow the pants of Intel...making it one naked 800 pound Gorilla...

Lemon Bon Bon

PS. Played with the Dual 2 gigger for the first time today. Verrrry nice machine. Opens 9 apps at once blazingly fast. Photoshop? Version 8 doesn't as optimised as it could be for this G5 machine. 300 dpi resize image. Hmmm. Not as fast as I was expecting. Some filters fast, some reasonably fast. Some instant. Erm. Mind you, it was running on a 1900 x 1200 (gorgeous) Apple display...

It will make a nice machine for Apple's low end come end of January...

PPS. Edit: It only had 512 megs. Maybe it choked alittle. Guy in shop said they bunged in several gigs of ram and it processed an 800 meg image in 10 seconds...
  • Reply 11 of 48
    IBM produces the best chips in the industry IMHO. I bet we will see great things coming from them soon. I would like to see some dual cored chips running at the same heat output as current ones. They will need to be made at 65nm though for that to work well.

Dual 3Ghz soon!
  • Reply 12 of 48
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I voted for march. I am not in a great hurry to see fasters powermac than my dual G5 2 ghz
  • Reply 13 of 48
    If it's March...then I'm more confident Apple will announce 3 gigs. Gut instinct...

Lemon Bon Bon

PS. You're dual 2 gigger is a fine tower. The best Mac tower I've ever played with. It IS impressive. It will still be so when the dual 3 gig is released...
  • Reply 14 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

IBM produces the best chips in the industry IMHO. I bet we will see great things coming from them soon. I would like to see some dual cored chips running at the same heat output as current ones. They will need to be made at 65nm though for that to work well.

Dual 3Ghz soon!

Those dual cores are not even in the pipe yet as far as I've not heard. Last I heard the successor to 970 is based on the dual core Power5 but is designed on a single core. When we get one of those Dual core processors I will be freakin!!!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 48
    So I'm putting all my hens in the basket...

Listed my iBook on ebay so that it will sell before the end of the month. Then hopefully by Jan 20th when they release "Newbies," I'll be ready to cash in!!!

I'm personally looking for 3.0 Ghz, but don't think it's likely.
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

Listed my iBook on ebay so that it will sell before the end of the month. Then hopefully by Jan 20th when they release "Newbies," I'll be ready to cash in!!!

Your a brave sole. Do you have a backup Mac just in case?
  • Reply 17 of 48
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Just like the last PowerMac G4 models.. (aka FW800, upto 1.42Ghz G4) during the last week of Jan/2003.

I bought one of those in Feb/2003. 8)
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

i'm about to do the same thing my friend!

i think it's time for the big jump for me, i can live without a machine at home until the march ship date!
  • Reply 19 of 48
    tmantman Posts: 66member
    [QUOTE][i]

If IBM got 2.5 on .13 then why not a 3 gig 970 end of January?

Who said they got 2.5 on the .13 chip? The rev 2 G5's will surely be the .09 970's and on that smaller process 3ghz will be a reality but not on the next rev. I don't doubt that some 3ghz chips exist but I strongly doubt that the yields are there for commercial production at this time. DP 2.6 will be the top of the line come next week but oh how wonderful that crow will taste if you're right Lemon!
  • Reply 20 of 48
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

g

Looks about right, except the PB's will probably be around the 1.6G mark.

This allows the iBook/eMac to get an update as well at up to 1.33G (G4 of course).

I hope Apple keeps the 15" iMac as well, a G5 @ 1.4 say?. New VPC for G5 and things could get interesting in corporate land.