HP to produce pocket device to run OSX?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Via Bite of the Apple

http://croquer.free.fr/

"It would seem that the partnership between HP and APPLE for the iPod does not stop there. A light version of OS X is nearly ready and could be used as the OS of a pocket PC manufactured by HP."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    This is exreeeeeemly unlikely....however, if true, it would constitute a major bloody earthquake in PC land (do you think Carly and Steve are gettin' it on?)
  • Reply 2 of 64
    Quote:

IBM travaille très fort sur le PPC 980. Etrangement, ou bien pour ne pas attirer l'attention, les prototypes ne s'appellent pas 980.

Ainsi, après le PPC 975a dual-core, c'est au 976 d'être proposé Ã* Apple pour faire des tests.

Can somebody translate this?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 3 of 64
    I could believe a Pocket Device running X-Lite and distributed by HP. HP take the 'X-Lite' into PC land while Apple takes care of the Mac crowd.

After the iPod deal, anything is possible.

I'm getting nervous...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 4 of 64
    If it happened Apple would make THE WHOLE WIDGET. That being said:

IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

This is clearly the raving of a deluded mind.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    IBM is working very hard on the PPC980. Strangely, the prototypes are not called PPC980, possibly to not attract any attention. The prototype dual core PPC is called the PPC975a. The next prototype for Apple will be called PPC976.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    henriokhenriok Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shawk

IBM is working very hard on the PPC980. Strangely, the prototypes are not called PPC980, possibly to not attract any attention.

Just a bit OT, but I don't think it's strange at all. "980" is a name made up by The Register IIRC. The only official word from IBM that are readily available indicates that the part would be called "97x", and "975" have always been my best guess (anyone who have followed my postings in this matter know this.)

Just make a Google-search for "powerpc 97x filetypedf" and you'll see for yourself.

Croquer is a new source for rumors, and it seems as bold as Macbidouille was before. I guess we'll have to se how they measure up.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    No, never, this is false, plain true false.

After the HP-Deal, not everything is possible, especially this garbage (or as the french call it: garbagé )
  • Reply 8 of 64
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

After the HP-Deal, not everything is possible, especially this garbage (or as the french call it: garbagé )

I used to have an english teacher who loved the word garbagé but hated umbrella and insists it was one of the ugliest words.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    IBM travaille très fort sur le PPC 980. Etrangement, ou bien pour ne pas attirer l'attention, les prototypes ne s'appellent pas 980.

Ainsi, après le PPC 975a dual-core, c'est au 976 d'être proposé Ã* Apple pour faire des test

IBM has worked on the PPC 980 for a while. The prototypes are not called the 980. After the PPC 975 dual-core, That's the 976 that's going to be proposed for upcoming Apple hardware.

That's my best translation...not too good tho.

-walloo.

p.s. i haven't heard anything of this, and i don't believe it for now.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    With HP and the OS X handheld, Apple should not produce a light version of OS X, unless it is done well, and very well.

This could be an instance of their own making, maybe a light version into their own hardware could be had. I would not see their software go into another's hardware before it hits their own. Apple's past alludes me to this...although Apple could have this up their sleeve, it would hardly impress it's customers. Great...we buy HP hardware now?

It doesn't have the same tenacious-acity as "Apple has just produced a new kick-a## tablet, more revolutionary than the iPod."

-walloo.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    If they limited the licencing to just the "lite" version and just for PDAs, then it wouldn't cut into Apple's other hardware (ok, perhaps a little into PowerBooks).

I don't see this as likely to happen, but it makes more sense than a lot of the other rumours out there.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    The PDA market is not what it used to be. You don't enter a market on the downslope. PDA/phone combos are the thing right now (until the next gadget fad comes along). Won't happen.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    HP could put Pocketmac or others sync software in ipaqs...

with the logo of apple in it and a specific theme..

But no more..
  • Reply 14 of 64
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

garbagé = Gar-bah-JAY

C'est "garbáge" (gar-BAHJ), mon ami.

O "le crap."
  • Reply 15 of 64
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I still don't know how one would create an OS X "lite" aside from dropping some of the major frameworks and APIs. I have no technical knowledge, but it would seem to me that the umbrella frameworks and subsystem alone are big enough to preclude this idea.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

. . . IBM has worked on the PPC 980 for a while. The prototypes are not called the 980. After the PPC 975 dual-core, That's the 976 that's going to be proposed for upcoming Apple hardware.

That's my best translation...not too good tho. . .

The much maligned MacOSRumors has this:

Quote:

Work on the next generation powerPC is also well on track. Apple has prototypes of both the single and dual core versions. The single core version is the PowerPC 975, and the dual core version is the PowerPC 976. Both are based upon the Power5 processor. Apple will brand them the G6 and G6 Extreme.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:

Originally posted by shawk

IBM is working very hard on the PPC980. Strangely, the prototypes are not called PPC980, possibly to not attract any attention. The prototype dual core PPC is called the PPC975a. The next prototype for Apple will be called PPC976.

Still a bit OT - but not true. Dual core chips are planned for the Power5 derivative PPC chip, but the first generation will not bear them. IBM has not even produced or delivered Alphas on the dual core chips. They also do not have numerical designations on the inside. Recall the designations for the 750 series chips (Sahra, Mojave, etc). I can't reveal the internal names for these things (would make my sources more apparent), but they're not numbered. Apple has received samples of the Power5 derivatives. Dual core samples should arrive late in the year with mass production not likely to begin before late summer of 2005.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    And G6 and G6 Extreme? Gag me with a spoon!
  • Reply 19 of 64
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well unless Apple can roll-out something that provides all the features of the Treo 600 in a sexy cool product, they ain't goin nowhere. But then again, Steve always likes to prove everyone wrong so...
  • Reply 20 of 64
    apple will definitely launch its own lighter version of mobile computing device. its also the demand of the market., my businessmen friends are already complaining of having to lug aropund an expensive fully loaded laptop which becomes hopelessly obsolete in around 18 months' time. most of them are purchasing smaller underpowereed machines for travel and giant desktops. this is where i believe the market is. of course for create and graphic work, it would be lovely to have those giant desktops on my lap. and thats where the new powerbooks should come. and i expect the OSX 'lite' to come in on the not too distant ipods or such devices...