The Beatles iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Ringo Starr has some albums on iTunes now. This is good news I would think. I wish the Beatles and all those who profit from their work, beside the band itself, would make their music available via iTunes.

What would be super cool would be to bury the hatchet and thus release the greatest iPod ever..... "The Beatles iPod". Comes preloaded with their biggest hits and is laser engraved on the back with the Fab Fours signatures.

The outside case design could be done by Peter Max. Paul and Ringo could come on stage with Steve at the next Macworld and announce it.

How cool...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    geobegeobe Posts: 235member
    Can we move this to Future hardware?
  • Reply 2 of 26
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    No, iPod stuff belongs here.

When the Beatles pull their heads out into daylight again and recognize that this internet thing is not going away, we might see electronic versions of Beatles songs. For now, though, they're going to stick with physical media indefinitely. They've said as much.

I know Steve would love to have the Beatles on board, but they're obviously balking. It might have more than a little to do with the longstanding tiff between Apple and Apple Records, and it might have something to do with McCartney's prodigious ego. Who knows?
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

No, iPod stuff belongs here.

When the Beatles pull their heads out into daylight again and recognize that this internet thing is not going away, we might see electronic versions of Beatles songs. For now, though, they're going to stick with physical media indefinitely. They've said as much.

I know Steve would love to have the Beatles on board, but they're obviously balking. It might have more than a little to do with the longstanding tiff between Apple and Apple Records, and it might have something to do with McCartney's prodigious ego. Who knows?

Can you delete my post please.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

Is it Mcartneys Ego or Yoko scrounging for every buck she can lay her hands on?

More on topic, limited edition ipods ( say runs of 50,000) based on Bands featured in the store would not be a bad idea.

They will sell like hot cakes for sure.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    The thing is, with the amount of money they have, none of the Beatles need the internet, iTMS or anything for that matter.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by geobe

Ringo Starr has some albums on iTunes now. This is good news I would think. I wish the Beatles and all those who profit from their work, beside the band itself, would make their music available via iTunes.

What would be super cool would be to bury the hatchet and thus release the greatest iPod ever..... "The Beatles iPod". Comes preloaded with their biggest hits and is laser engraved on the back with the Fab Fours signatures.

The outside case design could be done by Peter Max. Paul and Ringo could come on stage with Steve at the next Macworld and announce it.

How cool...

great idea. you should send an email to apple (seriously)
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

IMore on topic, limited edition ipods ( say runs of 50,000) based on Bands featured in the store would not be a bad idea.

They will sell like hot cakes for sure.

good idea!!!
  • Reply 8 of 26
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Apple is being sued by Apple so I don't think they would do something like this.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

Apple is being sued by Apple so I don't think they would do something like this.

which apple is being sued by which apple?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Doesn't really mean much, but GarageBand.com and Apple have an agreement of some sorts to share the name.

George Martin is involved at the high level with GarageBand.com

Given the fact that the dust seems to have settled around the Apple Computer getting involved in the music distribution coupled with a potential relationship with George Martin, the friction between the Beatles (what's left of them) and Apple Computer may not be so bad.

Just a couple of off-centre points.

BTW - I think a Magical Mystery Tour iPod (or SGT Pepper, or Revolver...) printed iPod is a rock'n idea.

As long as they don't come out with a Pepsi iPod...

lb
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

which apple is being sued by which apple?

Apple (the computer company we know and love) sued by Apple Records (of The Beatles fame). It's a long story. Essentially, Apple was sued years ago over the name and agreed never to go into the music business. Now that Apple is doing iTunes, Apple Records isn't happy.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Apple (the computer company we know and love) sued by Apple Records (of The Beatles fame). It's a long story. Essentially, Apple was sued years ago over the name and agreed never to go into the music business. Now that Apple is doing iTunes, Apple Records isn't happy.

that's what i thought, thanks for the confirmation
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Newsbyte about Apple legal from MacNN - Sept 03

A good read from September. The initial lawsuit, launched when macs could play music was settled years ago. There was a new one launched when Apple stepped into the music industry through iTunes distribution etc.

Can't we all just get along...

lb
  • Reply 14 of 26
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

They did this! Can't you remember? They had Madonna, Beck, No Doubt and Tony Hawk. I'll try to find a picture...

I know but this time with skins! Instead of a white acrylic, use graphics to depict band logos or colors. Here's a possible package:

- 15Gb iPOD in custom color and laser engraved autographs.

- The bands complete portfolio pre loaded into your Itunes account.

- Band tour schedule loaded into calendar

all for $399.00
  • Reply 15 of 26
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I think all the Lennon/McCartney's are owned by Michael Jackson now anyway'. He gets paid if there were Beatles tracks on iTMS. I do like the iPod idea, but realistically. Youth possesses most of the iPods. Who still listens to The Beatles? Old folks. They wouldn't be worth it to produce. I don't know. Maybe Europeans still listen to Pre-Classic Rock, and would jump for joy over a Beatles iPod. Who knows.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by onlooker

I think all the Lennon/McCartney's are owned by Michael Jackson now anyway'. He gets paid if there were Beatles tracks on iTMS. I do like the iPod idea, but realistically. Youth possesses most of the iPods. Who still listens to The Beatles? Old folks. They wouldn't be worth it to produce. I don't know. Maybe Europeans still listen to Pre-Classic Rock, and would jump for joy over a Beatles iPod. Who knows.

I'm 18 and I for one do listen to the Beatles on occassion. I know a lot of kids my age are caught up in the Limp Bizkit, Eminem, and Brittaney music but there still are tons of people who like the classics and more "unheard of" stuff. A Beatles iPod may not be necessary although it would be cool, but having the Beatles on iTMS would be a wonderful addition that would bring in cash by the boatload.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    gsfmarkgsfmark Posts: 210member
    just fyi, i am a 20 year old college student, and would LOVE a beatles iPod. I know a ton of people my age that love the beatles...

like i said, just fyi
  • Reply 18 of 26
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I'm 20-ish and have a ton of beatles songs on my iPod. I bought the anthology series (those multi-disk, everything beatles sets) years ago.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jamil

I know but this time with skins! Instead of a white acrylic, use graphics to depict band logos or colors. Here's a possible package:

- 15Gb iPOD in custom color and laser engraved autographs.

- The bands complete portfolio pre loaded into your Itunes account.

- Band tour schedule loaded into calendar

all for $399.00

Interesting you mentioned it, does anyone remember back when Apple introduced the Flower and Polka-dot iMac's. Steve himself said they learned a lot about how to make images into acrylic plastics.

If not branded with Beatles pictures and signatures, they could at least preloaded with Beatles songs. Even more interesting than the music, the beatles have a very large collection of Interviews Disks they could preload too.

Even at a higher level, they could do this with all the holdouts at this point. This special branding could work with Madonna, Dave Matthews Band, AC/DC, and others. They could use these special iPods to bridge the gap between the artists and the digital music age.

There are a ton of marketing angles for the artists too. Increased hype, radio give-a-ways and other promotions when they go on tour in big cities. I could go on and on with the marketing side.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    I'm 18 and a brit. I have to say i'm a big music fan, but I don't own any of the stuff (legally or otherwise). I wouldn't say this is through hating the Beatles, there was a track played here on The Mark 'n' Lard show today which sent me wondering why I don't, but I'm not sure the Youth would go for it.

Having said this, if it happened I think this would be a really special, apple/beatles nutters only thing, not mass market.

And we don't really want iPod's to end up like Zippo lighters, with everything under the sun being printed on them, do we??