Is it possible g5 eMac next?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From The Register:-

The shift from desktop to notebook has helped maintain Apple's margins (up a tad to 27.6 per cent), although Anderson admitted that the sweet spot for the desktop consumer PC market had fallen below $1,000. He said that the $1,299 iMac looked healthy, but clearly what Apple needs even more urgently than a revamped iMac is a super-eMac.

Did Anderson really say the last comment or was it added by The Register?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    got to be the reg i think...
  • Reply 2 of 13
    not in the call--i was listening, plus it would be all over the rumor sites if it came from apple.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    G5 eMac will be right after the G5 iBook (meaning not for a long ol' time). \ What strange chemical vapors are you being exposed to, the eMac is the super low end bottom of the barrel, last to be looked at, Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Good God no. The register is a good computer tabloid rag but some of its writers need to get off crack. You will see G5's in eMacs sometime after there are G5's in iMacs and Powerbooks, but before there are G5's in iBooks. So it will be about a year and a half.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    Regardless of whether Anderson actually mentioned a "super-eMac" the purported quote doesn't require a G5.

For example, a $999 eMac with a decent graphics card, 1.4 Ghz 74X7, upgraded FSB, USB 2.0, and a Superdrive would qualify as a "super e-mac" compared to the current iteration.

I'm not saying there should or should not be a super-emac. I'm not saying a G5 eMac is an impossibility. I'm just saying the quote- assuming its true- leaves the door wide open as to what, exactly, a super-eMac is.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

From The Register:-

The shift from desktop to notebook has helped maintain Apple's margins (up a tad to 27.6 per cent), although Anderson admitted that the sweet spot for the desktop consumer PC market had fallen below $1,000. He said that the $1,299 iMac looked healthy, but clearly what Apple needs even more urgently than a revamped iMac is a super-eMac.

Did Anderson really say the last comment or was it added by The Register?

Well, actually, Apple's margins "fell" to 26.7 from 27.6 for the same quarter last year. So, one against the register.

Edit: Proof of First Quarter Margins

Also, remember that the eMac is the only new Mac capable of booting into OS9 as it is/was intended primarily for educational institutions. If this continues to be a selling point for it, it won't ever go to G5...
  • Reply 7 of 13
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    eMac won't get it next.

And as of the last update the eMac got (which was basically a price drop), it can't boot into OS 9 either. I think OS 9-boot machines are now only available to institutions.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Anderson did say, in response to a question, that the iMac was missing the sub-$1K "sweet spot." I heard it myself.

The rest of the quote is op-ed from the Register.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Greg Mote

G5 eMac will be right after the G5 iBook (meaning not for a long ol' time). \ What strange chemical vapors are you being exposed to, the eMac is the super low end bottom of the barrel, last to be looked at, Mac.

it's a cheap G4. so it doesn't have any expansion, big deal, it's great just for everyday stuff, and even some audio/image editing
  • Reply 10 of 13
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Hmm, I didn't think ol' Fred was into the whole future product speculation thing...
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Greg Mote

where are you gett'n that? the eMac had a G4 long before the iBook did...it's the brownies again, isn't it?

Unless you KNOW this is fact.

-walloo.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    The only reason I posted this was because it seems to me that the eMac is the only other Mac that could cope with the heat of the 130nm G5's. Consequently it seems possible particularly if sales are lagging and we are going to see the PM get a bump next week.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    When you consider that the G5 is rumored to be less expensive for Apple to buy than the G4 then G5 equipped low enders begin to make more sense.

Fred's comments about the sub 1K "sweet spot" for desktop computers makes me think that they will have one soon. The question for me is where? It seems imperative that the iMac2 be replaced very soon with a re-designed and cheaper model.

How do they get the current design down to the "sweet spot" while retaining the AIO form factor and adding a G5? I'm not convinced that they can, so I expect to see a different type of Macintosh taking the place of the iMac2. It's time for Apple to "Think Different".

A G5 eMac next? No, I think perhaps a new Macintosh is next, and if they do keep the eMac, it will get a G5, just not "next".