iPod win 2000 hard drive?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have a 3D modeling class this semester. We're using 3d s max and the prof said we should use some type of storage to back our projects up.

Can I use the iPod as a firewire hard drive with windows 2000?

Can I just plug it in? Or do I have to "force" disk mode or something?

How do I do it?

Thanks..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    BTW- I have a 1st genneration 5 gig...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    The iPod manual suggests that you use iTunes/Musicmatch to enable the Firewire disk mode. I'm not sure if that enables a setting on the iPod that allows it to be used as a Firewire HD on any computer with Firewire, or if the application mounts the iPod itself.

Probably best to take your iPod to the computer in question and give it a try, after enabling the Firewire HD mode from iTunes (Sources -> Options). It should appear as a removeable drive in "My Computer".
  • Reply 3 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I don't know about the 1g iPod. With the 2g and 3g models, when you plug the iPod into the PC for the first time, it will ask if you want to format the drive into I think FAT32 format. It wipes your iPod naturally if you choose to reformat it. It can still work with your Mac of course, but it's slower in that format I think. I don't know if the original iPods are capable of this at all though.

PS: 3D Max? Yuckie!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

I don't know about the 1g iPod. With the 2g and 3g models, when you plug the iPod into the PC for the first time, it will ask if you want to format the drive into I think FAT32 format. It wipes your iPod naturally if you choose to reformat it. It can still work with your Mac of course, but it's slower in that format I think. I don't know if the original iPods are capable of this at all though.

Alright- I guess I'll try that and see if it works...

Yeah- I would rather use lightwave or maya..
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Alright- I guess I'll try that and see if it works...

If you are running iPod Software 1.3 for Windows, when you plug it in it will automatically mount as a disk.

-- Mark
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

fat32? i have win2k is there an option for ntfs? and does anyone know if its better to link ipod to a mac or a pc? if i have both will i be able to go back and forth between mac and pc and listen/sync without having to reformat?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by futuremac

fat32? i have win2k is there an option for ntfs? and does anyone know if its better to link ipod to a mac or a pc? if i have both will i be able to go back and forth between mac and pc and listen/sync without having to reformat?

iPod does not support NTFS.

If you want to use it as a disk with both, it should be PC formatted. The Mac can mount PC formatted disks but not vice versa.

Finally, I think that syncing music with an iPod with two computers isn't really possible. It demands to be associated with one machine for music purposes.