Accessing shared iTunes through router

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCmac32

Noleli2 is there anyway to do that other than taking down the router. The router is just for wireless access. So if I can keep the wirless connectivity and still be connected to the main subnet I would like to do that. Any advice.

Brian

Brian-

Since you said you have a Linksys, I can give you pretty specific instructions. I don't know what kind of experience you have with these things, so sorry if I'm being a bit too specific. I assume you're pretty good since you know how to do port forwarding.

1. On the main page, change the LAN IP address to something else to ensure that it does not interfere with the router you are going to be going off of, such as 192.168.1.2. Once you do that and click apply, you will have change the IP in the browser to reflect those changes and get back in.

2. Log back in using the new IP, click on the Advanced tab, and click on Dynamic Routing. Change it from whatever it's on to whatever it's not on. They're named weirdly, but I think it's from Gateway to Router, but it might be the other way around.

3. Replug the cable from the WAN port on the wireless router (which is now just acting as on access point) to the uplink port, which should be the highest-numbered port if it's not specifically labeled.

Assuming I didn't forget any steps, your computer's IP should be issued by the same router that is giving the rest of the machines on the network IP's, and iTunes will work fine.

Good luck.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Noleli2, simply awesome. Worked like a charm. One problem I have is that I am only allowed to have 'one computer legally' on my network here at school. And with your idea it shows the laptop. But what you showed me will help me out when I go home and have to do it there. So thank you very much everyone for all your patience and help. I really do appreciate it. Thanks again. Peace.

Brian
  • Reply 23 of 25
    I have a linksys router and have no issues sharing my itunes. One thing that you have to make sure, and i know it may sound dunb. The machine you are trying to get music from over your network absolutely must have itunes open.

In other words the app must be running. I know sounds dumb...but often people tend to forget that it has to be running in order to share. So make sure that you have itunes running on both machines when testing :P
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Quote:

Originally posted by DCmac32

Noleli2, simply awesome. Worked like a charm. One problem I have is that I am only allowed to have 'one computer legally' on my network here at school. And with your idea it shows the laptop. But what you showed me will help me out when I go home and have to do it there. So thank you very much everyone for all your patience and help. I really do appreciate it. Thanks again. Peace.

Brian

Yeah I have the same problem at school. I don't want to have to pay to register my laptop's ethernet port, my router, and my airport card all to the network. I've been working on legitimate ways around this (that doesn't involve hijacking IP's so the IT folks don't get mad at me). I've had very limited success, and I think next year I'll just register my ethernet port and my airport card (the router can clone the MAC of the ethernet port).
  • Reply 25 of 25
    That's what I do here. The problem is we can only buy one IP address. So even if you want to pay for two, you can't. The way I do it is when I am in the room, I use the router and I cloned my MAC address, and then when I go to the lab I just take my laptop and I cloned my IP address on here. THere is no MAC authentication so it looks just like my desktop. Easy, legitamite work around. Thanks for the all the help.