Driving in the snow. . .

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
with a car that is NOT meant to be out in the rain.

Holy shitballs -- it was an interesting ride to work today. I have on some Bridgestone potenzas, everyone's favorite summer Z, and the old man winter decided to dump some powder on the tristate area. So the big problem is that the tires just don't bite, so you have to slam it hard to the desired direction and then blip the throttle to spin the rear around. I got pretty good, but then got overconfident.

And the big thing about an Rx-7 is that crazy torque starts to happen at 4000rpm when the secondary spools up. . . . Two full circles. That's 720 degrees, or 4pi for you mathematicians out there.

Fortunately is was around a turn that fed into the parking lot, and everything is cool. But it was enough to cause me to leave the car at work and bum rides until this junk melts a little.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    i have a 2003 honda civic coupe. seems pretty good in the snow. we got four inches last night and I didn't have problems going out for chinese take-out.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    ...is only dangerous when people who dont know how to drive in it get into a vehicle, turn that vehicle on, apply the accelerator and...
  • Reply 3 of 30
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    sounds like my girlfriend. she's very timid about driving in the snow.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

...is only dangerous when people who dont know how to drive in it get into a vehicle, turn that vehicle on, apply the accelerator and...

OK Chief. We'll get you an Rx-7 (a 3rd gen. . . the one that is wicked fast) and you'll be singing a different tune. edit: It's very hard to control, even in first gear.

Shawn: pretend your civic was rear wheel drive and had twice as wide tires and more than twice the power.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Snow tires - November 'til mid-April
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Snow tires - November 'til mid-April

They're not legal round these parts. Shame.

Though I'm banking on the likely chance that this will be the last real winter I live through for a while. . . and hopefully forever.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

They're not legal round these parts. Shame.

Even studless winter tires?
  • Reply 8 of 30
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The thing about the Honda Civic is that it's a very light car. It's actually quite easy to lose control of the car, but it's really easy to regain control of it just as quickly.

The powder wasn't bad though. I'm more worried about the temperature dropping to 0º F tonight and tomorrow (that's something like -18º C to the rest of the world). That gonna be murder on my engine, and I'm due for a big checkup in the shop.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    I drive a 94 dodge caravan, it's a beast in the snow. It's heavy enough that it's hard to get it loose, but it's still pretty easy to control. I use all season tires, not the smartest choice I'll admit, but when it snows, I slow down, unlike most other people on the road who don't seem to care and still go 10 mph over the speed limit on a snow packed road.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Driving on snow and ice is a bitch!

(and yeah, my friend's third gen is a bitch if it touches ice.)
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The thing about the Honda Civic is that it's a very light car. It's actually quite easy to lose control of the car, but it's really easy to regain control of it just as quickly.

The powder wasn't bad though. I'm more worried about the temperature dropping to 0º F tonight and tomorrow (that's something like -18º C to the rest of the world). That gonna be murder on my engine, and I'm due for a big checkup in the shop.

No kidding. My car weighs 2800lbs when it's full of fuel. It's about half tank right now. That's civic territory. It's not hard to regain control, but it's just so easy to lose it. . . It's days like these that make me think about buying a subaru.

As for the cold, just warm up your car for a while before starting it, and don't use thick oil. Cold isn't bad for the engine once the block and systems are warm.

My thermo says -16C right now. yurk. That's cold.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    I cut my teeth on a Rx-7 GSL-SE 85.

I love that car... too bad my mom killed it.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    wmv? wtf?!
  • Reply 14 of 30
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I love all the dumbasses in super heavy suv's that think just because they have four wheel drive they can go as fast as they want. My first winter driving I had a beat to shit '69 Nova and I was totally poor. I got a flat on one of the rear tires and replaced it for a couple of days with one snow tire. Of course the day after I did it it snowed like five inches while I was at school. I was just constantly losing the cars ass the whole way home. Later that night I went out to a parking lot and practiced making the car lose it and well that's how I learned how to drive in the snow.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    I actually like no-grip conditions and sliding the car around with little tyre wear and little speed.

We usually get -10 to -30C temperatures in winter, but I'm from the north originally and there we had a -45C to -50C record last winter.

Now if I just had a nice skating machine to use.. 20yr old Volvo doesn't quite cut it.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have winter tires (without studs), they are perfect for snow or cold weather. I don't understand why they are forbidden ?

This does not make sense.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    some people abused them and purposely got into accidents with "wealthy" cars (since they can stop faster) and then sued them for injuries... they would basically drive in front of a car and then slam on the breaks... nothing the following car can do... the snow tires just have more friction...

of course thats probably not the reason they are outlawed (and it shouldn't be) but it is something I have heard about happening...
  • Reply 18 of 30
    What about All Season tires then? I've got Uniroyals on my Civic, and put a set of Bridgestone HP-5s (I think that's the model) on my wife's Integra, and they're great in light snow conditions.

If you have a standard transmission and aren't getting any traction, try upshifting to the next higher gear, and slowly gas and let the clutch out. This will usually reduce the torque enough to let your tires bite into the road, instead of spinning out on the snow.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

The thing is, and this applies to FWD cars in general, you get a big advantage when the bulk of the car's mass is supported by the drive wheels. You don't need to induce any "magic" weight transfer to get the drive wheels to bite- the weight is just pressing down on them by default. Additionally, if the front wheels do start slipping, it doesn't induce instability (such as it would with the RWD). So those are 2 mutual things that keep a FWD car very consistent and "driver friendly" when road conditions are slippery.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Shawn: pretend your civic was rear wheel drive and had twice as wide tires and more than twice the power.

Maybe he can drive it backwards.