Where do you get your news from?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Where do you get your news from?

In AppleOutsider's history of grand debates, I don't think this general question has ever been asked. solo asked two years ago Where Do You Get Your Cable News?, but I'm thinking of a more inclusive thread where AppleOutsider participants could discuss where everyone generally gets their news. Every medium applies. My intent is to foster better communication among us, not to divide each other over (legitimate) questions of liberal vs. conservative. I don't necessarily want to restrict discussion in that regard, but that's not the focus of this thread.

I rarely get my news from broadcast or cable television. I don't watch "The Big Three" on CBS, NBC, and ABC. I don't watch CNN, MSNBC, CNBC, CNN Headline News or Fox News. The only exception is that I occasionally watch NOW with Bill Moyers on PBS because I think it's exceptional broadcast journalism. I'd like to watch Frontline on PBS if I had the time.

I get most of my hard news from the The New York Times online. I might read the Washington Post occasionally and The Village Voice even less frequently. The Scranton Times for local news.

I have to mention Atrios and Josh Marshall as the best blogs on the left. Those two people have a bit more legitimacy than your average blogger and seem to nail issues that matter much to me.

I get Newsweek and US News but rarely read them anymore because the content just seems old by the time the magazines hit the newstand-- and not particularly interesting at that. But I never miss a New Yorker issue. A lot more in depth content than you'd find elsewhere. Great articles by Seymour Hersch, Ken Auletta, and others.

"Fourth tier" sources for me include Salon.com, The Nation, and Common Dreams.org. Not particularly "fourth tier" for content- just for time spent reading articles there.

Gotta mention The Onion and the Daily Show too!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I rely completely on posts by SDW2001 and trumptman to find out what's going on in the world around me.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    Mostly through secret hush hush channels and hand written notes that catch on fire the moment I have finished reading them.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

I rely completely on posts by SDW2001 and trumptman to find out what's going on in the world around me.

Come on! I want to know where they get their news from too. Maybe we could understand each other better?
  • Reply 4 of 38

I'm a complete failure.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    Complete. Absolute. Abysmal.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnJ

I'm a complete failure.

aww, that's what the scarecrow thought and he ended up being in charge of oz!
  • Reply 7 of 38
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    I get pretty much all my news from my employer.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

I get pretty much all my news from my employer.

work for cnn?
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

aww, that's what the scarecrow thought and he ended up being in charge of oz!

wonder where he got his news from?
  • Reply 10 of 38
    the oz picayune
  • Reply 11 of 38
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

work for cnn?

Yeah... compositor/editor for the design department. Because I work here I generally don't pay much attention to what's going on in the news..... I can only take so much.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Yeah... compositor/editor for the design department. Because I work here I generally don't pay much attention to what's going on in the news..... I can only take so much.

i'm hip brother!
  • Reply 13 of 38
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I get mine primarily from the following:

Online/Publications:

NY Times

Chicago Tribune

LA Times

Detroit Free Press

BBC News

Radio:

NPR

Television:

Fox News

CNN

NOW (PBS)

60 minutes (CBS)

International NewsFirst
  • Reply 14 of 38
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I get news from where ever I can. I specifically add links that I see posted here and check them periodically. I like reading views that don't agree with my own and try to insure that I'm not just suffering from the preaching to the choir syndrome.

I read drudge, cnn, foxnews, LA Times. I get links from newshub. Tech stuff from macsurfer, arstechnica and a couple others. Educational stuff from edweek. I've added talkingpointsmemo, fair.org, and spinsanity from people here. I go to Time.com and read what is current and available. I read Thomas Sowell, George Will, Walter Williams, and David Limbaugh online a bit. Newsmax is something I have been hitting a bit, but they would definately be third tier stuff.

I'll add anything interesting posted here. I'm an info nut.

Nick
  • Reply 15 of 38
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    No one mentioned slashdot?
  • Reply 16 of 38
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I also get news from CrazyAppleRumors.com and Whitehouse.org, two of the best sites in existence.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    I don't generally watch any TV news (unless you count the Daily Show), but I get my weather from NY1 in the morning.

Physical papers that I read from time to time include the NY Times, the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times. Occasionally I'll read the NY Post (although I'm not proud of this fact).

I read the Guardian, the Observer and the Economist online editions (I had a subscription to the Economist that expired two years ago, but it still seems to get me all their articles on the website). I visit the Telegraph site every now and then and occasionally check out CNN.com and FoxNews.com. Google News has become a huge source of info for me, I like that it provides a wide range of perspectives.

Other online media sources that I check regularly include Indymedia, Drudge and BuzzFlash. For tech news I read Slashdot, The Register, Need to Know and Wired news / Wired Magazine.

What with posting here it's a wonder I ever actually get any work done...oh wait, I don't.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Well, I'll add the third serious post to this thread. Sorry for breaking the trend.

I avoid TV almost at all costs. I don't like watching it, and can find much better things to do with my time. I would say that most of my news comes from the radio, talk radio, NPR that type of thing (I bet you've never met any 18 year old guys who listen to NPR ). I read the news paper on a daily basis to fill in the gaps. I like to stay informed. I really dislike people who offer uninformed and unsupported opinions about things, it really bothers me, so I avoid being one of those people at all costs. I do check the internet for news, but not nearly as frequently as radio and the papers.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Oh, and BBC.co.uk...almost forgot.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

No one mentioned slashdot?

Oh yeah! Daily.