"Grouping" Tag in iTunes 4.2

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Isn't this field new in this version of iTunes?

Anyway, this is going to be a stupid question, but I'm not familiar with the tag or its purpose. Anyone know what the intention of this field is supposed to be? None of my tracks have this field filled in, not even the iTMS tracks I bought tonight.

Otherwise, I'm just going to use it as a sort of genre superset: popular, classical, jazz, etc. Then I can make more specific genres like electro-industrial, be-bop and baroque. anyone got a problem with that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I believe it's a "use as you will" field, just in case the other fields don't give you the necessary organization you want.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I think the original idea was that it can be used for things like classical CDs, where there may be several works by the same composer. For example, if you have a CD with three Beethoven symponies, you could put each symphony as a group, thus separating, rather than having all three as one album. The problem is that it doesn't appear on an iPod, so you can't search by it . Maybe I should send Apple some feedback...

But like Wrong Robot said, it's pretty much a free form field that you can do with as you wish

Dave.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Oh, that's right I did see a classical CD on the iTunes Music Store that used a disclosure triangle in the song list to group 3 movements of a Mozart Symphony together. Hmmm... I'll have to give this a try tonight...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/index.shtml#010304a

That link covers most of it. Basically it's used for movements or to group together any set of tracks that should be listened to in sequence. Look for iTunes + iPod updates that let you make better use of this info.

If you want a free-form field your better of using comments.