Michael Moore calls for support for Clark

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Michael Moore sent the following email to the 3 million subscribers on his mailing list today:

Quote:

I?ll Be Voting For Wesley Clark / Good-Bye Mr. Bush ? by Michael Moore

January 14, 2004

Many of you have written to me in the past months asking, "Who are you going to vote for this year?"

I have decided to cast my vote in the primary for Wesley Clark. That's right, a peacenik is voting for a general. What a country!

I believe that Wesley Clark will end this war. He will make the rich pay their fair share of taxes. He will stand up for the rights of women, African Americans, and the working people of this country.

And he will cream George W. Bush.

I have met Clark and spoken to him on a number of occasions, feeling him out on the issues but, more importantly, getting a sense of him as a human being. And I have to tell you I have found him to be the real deal, someone whom I'm convinced all of you would like, both as a person and as the individual leading this country. He is an honest, decent, honorable man who would be a breath of fresh air in the White House. He is clearly not a professional politician. He is clearly not from Park Avenue. And he is clearly the absolute best hope we have of defeating George W. Bush.

This is not to say the other candidates won't be able to beat Bush, and I will work enthusiastically for any of the non-Lieberman 8 who might get the nomination. But I must tell you, after completing my recent 43-city tour of this country, I came to the conclusion that Clark has the best chance of beating Bush. He is going to inspire the independents and the undecided to come our way. The hard core (like us) already have their minds made up. It's the fence sitters who will decide this election.

The decision in November is going to come down to 15 states and just a few percentage points. So, I had to ask myself -- and I want you to honestly ask yourselves -- who has the BEST chance of winning Florida, West Virginia, Arizona, Nevada, Missouri, Ohio? Because THAT is the only thing that is going to matter in the end. You know the answer -- and it ain't you or me or our good internet doctor.

This is not about voting for who is more anti-war or who was anti-war first or who the media has already anointed. It is about backing a candidate that shares our values AND can communicate them to Middle America. I am convinced that the surest slam dunk to remove Bush is with a four-star-general-top-of-his-class-at-West-Point-Rhodes-Scholar-Medal-of-Freedom-winning-gun-owner-from-the-South -- who also, by chance, happens to be pro-choice, pro environment, and anti-war. You don't get handed a gift like this very often. I hope the liberal/left is wise enough to accept it. It's hard, when you're so used to losing, to think that this time you can actually win. It is Clark who stands the best chance -- maybe the only chance -- to win those Southern and Midwestern states that we MUST win in order to accomplish Bush Removal. And if what I have just said is true, then we have no choice but to get behind the one who can make this happen.

There are times to vote to make a statement, there are times to vote for the underdog and there are times to vote to save the country from catastrophe. This time we can and must do all three. I still believe that each one of us must vote his or her heart and conscience. If we fail to do that, we will continue to be stuck with spineless politicians who stand for nothing and no one (except those who write them the biggest checks).

My vote for Clark is one of conscience. I feel so strongly about this that I'm going to devote the next few weeks of my life to do everything I can to help Wesley Clark win. I would love it if you would join me on this mission.

Here are just a few of the reasons why I feel this way about Wes Clark:

1. Clark has committed to ensuring that every family of four who makes under $50,000 a year pays NO federal income tax. None. Zip. This is the most incredible helping hand offered by a major party presidential candidate to the working class and the working poor in my lifetime. He will make up the difference by socking it to the rich with a 5% tax increase on anything they make over a million bucks. He will make sure corporations pay ALL of the taxes they should be paying. Clark has fired a broadside at greed. When the New York Times last week wrote that Wes Clark has been ?positioning himself slightly to Dean?s left," this is what they meant, and it sure sounded good to me.

2. He is 100% opposed to the draft. If you are 18-25 years old and reading this right now, I have news for you -- if Bush wins, he's going to bring back the draft. He will be forced to. Because, thanks to his crazy war, recruitment is going to be at an all-time low. And many of the troops stuck over there are NOT going to re-enlist. The only way Bush is going to be able to staff the military is to draft you and your friends. Parents, make no mistake about it -- Bush's second term will see your sons taken from you and sent to fight wars for the oily rich. Only an ex-general who knows first-hand that a draft is a sure-fire way to wreck an army will be able to avert the inevitable.

3. He is anti-war. Have you heard his latest attacks on Bush over the Iraq War? They are stunning and brilliant. I want to see him on that stage in a debate with Bush -- the General vs. the Deserter! General Clark told me that it's people like him who are truly anti-war because it's people like him who have to die if there is a war. "War must be the absolute last resort," he told me. "Once you've seen young people die, you never want to see that again, and you want to avoid it whenever and wherever possible." I believe him. And my ex-Army relatives believe him, too. It's their votes we need.

4. He walks the walk. On issues like racism, he just doesn't mouth liberal platitudes -- he does something about it. On his own volition, he joined in and filed an amicus brief with the Supreme Court in support of the University of Michigan's case in favor of affirmative action. He spoke about his own insistence on affirmative action in the Army and how giving a hand to those who have traditionally been shut out has made our society a better place. He didn't have to get involved in that struggle. He's a middle-aged white guy -- affirmative action personally does him no good. But that is not the way he thinks. He grew up in Little Rock, one of the birthplaces of the civil rights movement, and he knows that African Americans still occupy the lowest rungs of the ladder in a country where everyone is supposed to have "a chance." That is why he has been endorsed by one of the founding members of the Congressional Black Caucus, Charlie Rangel, and former Atlanta Mayor and aide to Martin Luther King, Jr., Andrew Young.

5. On the issue of gun control, this hunter and gun owner will close the gun show loophole (which would have helped prevent the massacre at Columbine) and he will sign into law a bill to create a federal ballistics fingerprinting database for every gun in America (the DC sniper, who bought his rifle in his own name, would have been identified after the FIRST day of his killing spree). He is not afraid, as many Democrats are, of the NRA. His message to them: "You like to fire assault weapons? I have a place for you. It's not in the homes and streets of America. It's called the Army, and you can join any time!"

6. He will gut and overhaul the Patriot Act and restore our constitutional rights to privacy and free speech. He will demand stronger environmental laws. He will insist that trade agreements do not cost Americans their jobs and do not exploit the workers or environment of third world countries. He will expand the Family Leave Act. He will guarantee universal pre-school throughout America. He opposes all discrimination against gays and lesbians (and he opposes the constitutional amendment outlawing gay marriage). All of this is why Time magazine this week referred to Clark as "Dean 2.0" -- an improvement over the original (1.0, Dean himself), a better version of a good thing: stronger, faster, and easier for the mainstream to understand and use.

7. He will cut the Pentagon budget, use the money thus saved for education and health care, and he will STILL make us safer than we are now. Only the former commander of NATO could get away with such a statement. Dean says he will not cut a dime out of the Pentagon. Clark knows where the waste and the boondoggles are and he knows that nutty ideas like Star Wars must be put to pasture. His health plan will cover at least 30 million people who now have no coverage at all, including 13 million children. He's a general who will tell those swing voters, "We can take this Pentagon waste and put it to good use to fix that school in your neighborhood." My friends, those words, coming from the mouth of General Clark, are going to turn this country around.

Now, before those of you who are Dean or Kucinich supporters start cloggin' my box with emails tearing Clark down with some of the stuff I've seen floating around the web ("Mike! He voted for Reagan! He bombed Kosovo!"), let me respond by pointing out that Dennis Kucinich refused to vote against the war resolution in Congress on March 21 (two days after the war started) which stated "unequivocal support" for Bush and the war (only 11 Democrats voted against this--Dennis abstained). Or, need I quote Dr. Dean who, the month after Bush "won" the election, said he wasn't too worried about Bush because Bush "in his soul, is a moderate"? What's the point of this ridiculous tit-for-tat sniping? I applaud Dennis for all his other stands against the war, and I am certain Howard no longer believes we have nothing to fear about Bush. They are good people.

Why expend energy on the past when we have such grave danger facing us in the present and in the near future? I don't feel bad nor do I care that Clark -- or anyone -- voted for Reagan over 20 years ago. Let's face it, the vast majority of Americans voted for Reagan -- and I want every single one of them to be WELCOMED into our tent this year. The message to these voters -- and many of them are from the working class -- should not be, "You voted for Reagan? Well, to hell with you!" Every time you attack Clark for that, that is the message you are sending to all the people who at one time liked Reagan. If they have now changed their minds (just as Kucinich has done by going from anti-choice to pro-choice, and Dean has done by wanting to cut Medicare to now not wanting to cut it) ? and if Clark has become a liberal Democrat, is that not something to cheer?

In fact, having made that political journey and metamorphosis, is he not the best candidate to bring millions of other former Reagan supporters to our side -- blue collar people who have now learned the hard way just how bad Reagan and the Republicans were (and are) for them?

We need to take that big DO NOT ENTER sign off our tent and reach out to the vast majority who have been snookered by these right-wingers. And we have a better chance of winning in November with one of their own leading them to the promised land.

There is much more to discuss and, in the days and weeks ahead, I will continue to send you my thoughts. In the coming months, I will also be initiating a number of efforts on my website to make sure we get out the vote for the Democratic nominee in November.

In addition to voting for Wesley Clark, I will also be spending part of my Bush tax cut to help him out. You can join me, if you like, by going to his website to learn more about him, to volunteer, or to donate. To find out about when your state?s presidential primaries are, visit Vote Smart.

I strongly urge you to vote for Wes Clark. Let's join together to ensure that we are putting forth our BEST chance to defeat Bush on the November ballot. It is, at this point, for the sake of the world, a moral imperative.

Yours,

Michael Moore

www.michaelmoore.com

[email protected]

P.S. To register to vote visit www.yourvotematters.org.

No matter what your opinion of Moore, you have to concede that he holds a great deal of influence. How will this impact the race for the Democratic candidacy?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I saw him interview on Wolf Blitzer last night, and he was much more level headed than I'm used to him being.

However I would disagree with your assertion that he holds "a great deal of influence." He's quite fringe, and while he is certainly influential, I'm not sure it's to a great extent. I could be wrong though.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    So now Madonna and Michael Moore have endorsed Clark.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    That's what Wolf said.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

However I would disagree with your assertion that he holds "a great deal of influence." He's quite fringe, and while he is certainly influential, I'm not sure it's to a great extent. I could be wrong though.

3 million subscribers to his mailing list? Close to 5 million copies of Bowling for Columbine sold (worldwide) on DVD? Over 3 million copies of Stupid White Men sold in 24 languages? When I say Moore holds a great deal of influence I shuold qualify it by stating that he has a substantial audience, many of whom regard him a primary source of information. If he tells American voters who agree with him on other issues to vote for Clark, I expect quite a few of them will.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Michael Moore is a power-broker of a lesser degree than Jesse Jackson and his endorsement of Clark will undoubtedly draw votes from those who follow him. He's still an ass, he's still a propagandist who calculatingly edits his films to omit anything that would disprove his own views, but he's also an American that many people follow.

The Deaniacs will not be pleased.

Boy oh howdy, and I thought we'd never see another Ross Perot...let alone a Democratic one!

• Reply 6 of 40
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

So now Madonna and Michael Moore have endorsed Clark.

And the Clintons AND Fellowship and me.

Not sure endorsement by Moore is a good thing though.

But now it looks more and more like a showdown between Dean and Clark. A good thing IMHO. The outsider and the outsider.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Boy oh howdy, and I thought we'd never see another Ross Perot...let alone a Democratic one!

I have a hard time seeing how Clark in anyway can be compared to mr. tin foil hat.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Ross became a Grade A. nutjob toward the end of his campaign, although i think it part it was due to his fear that he might actually win the election.

it's odd to find that i agree with micheal moore on much of anything, but go figure. i've said this for a while now, Clark is the best shot the Dem. party has of getting Bush out of office, but i think Dean is going to win the nomination.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i've said this for a while now, Clark is the best shot the Dem. party has of getting Bush out of office, but i think Dean is going to win the nomination.

I agree. The swing states Moore makes mention of in his email will all but be lost by Dean if selected however Clark could have a great chance against Bush in these states IMHO.

Moore surprised me in this email.

Fellows
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

3 million subscribers to his mailing list? Close to 5 million copies of Bowling for Columbine sold (worldwide) on DVD? Over 3 million copies of Stupid White Men sold in 24 languages? When I say Moore holds a great deal of influence I shuold qualify it by stating that he has a substantial audience, many of whom regard him a primary source of information. If he tells American voters who agree with him on other issues to vote for Clark, I expect quite a few of them will.

True, but you can count me as someone who fits into all three of the categories you've listed above, and yet I stand by what I said about his level of influence as far as I've seen.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I'm going to the big Clark rally tomorrow in Pembroke. Moore and many others will be there.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

I agree. The swing states Moore makes mention of in his email will all but be lost by Dean if selected however Clark could have a great chance against Bush in these states IMHO.

Moore surprised me in this email.

Fellows

Are you sure that you do not wrote this e mail ?
  • Reply 13 of 40
    i actually liked clark acouple of years ago when i saw him on the TV a few times as a "taking head"...seemed very smart and well reasoned with a good background...as a fairly liberal democrat i am glad to see him running...(at the time i actually told people that i hoped he would run against bush...not thinking he would, and so i should stick by that observation now that he is)

as for michael moore...i actually like his movies and tv shows quite a bit...and he gets good play with two groups...college kids and people in my mother's set...my mom loves him and so do her 60-70 year old friends

moore's support of clark would likely influence some liberal voters that would vote for dean...and clarks background would likely sway some reagan democrats and other moderates to right leaning democrats...

time will tell i guess

now which would do better against bush

clark-pres, dean vp

dean-pres, clark vp

or do you think neither one would take the other if they get the democratic nomination?

g
  • Reply 14 of 40
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Moore is clown and grasping at straws.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    /\\ stock conservative response # 145
  • Reply 16 of 40
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Bush is going to start the draft? Clownish. It's easy to find reasons to dislike someone when you just make them up. That makes Moore a clown.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Bush is going to start the draft? Clownish.

Perhaps...but Moore seems convinced, and perhaps he'll convice others.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Moore is clown and grasping at straws.

haha. and i'll guess hannity & o'reilly aren't?
  • Reply 19 of 40
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    please stop quoting people's post....it sort of defeats the "ignore" function some of us have enabled

g
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

please stop quoting people's post....it makes them soggy and difficult to light

How about if we pretend to quote them, but really just make stuff up?