Timeline for the NEW PowerMac G5 Release

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

Looks about right, except the PB's will probably be around the 1.6G mark.

This allows the iBook/eMac to get an update as well at up to 1.33G (G4 of course).

I hope Apple keeps the 15" iMac as well, a G5 @ 1.4 say?. New VPC for G5 and things could get interesting in corporate land.

The 2" screen size and the other goodies are enough to warrant the extra price for the 17". If they had put in a 1.4 G5 in a 15" then I would hope that they could get it down to $1099, but I doubt it with the reported shortage of 15" LCD panels. If I recall the iMac traditionally has 2 tiers of processor speeds, and if they had a 3rd speed it was basically "last year's model at bargain basement prices."
  • Reply 22 of 48
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

The 2" screen size and the other goodies are enough to warrant the extra price for the 17". If they had put in a 1.4 G5 in a 15" then I would hope that they could get it down to $1099, but I doubt it with the reported shortage of 15" LCD panels. If I recall the iMac traditionally has 2 tiers of processor speeds, and if they had a 3rd speed it was basically "last year's model at bargain basement prices."

Um, your right, Apple will purchase G5's @ x clock rate in volume. So Im leaving the supposition on clock rates alone for now. But, my gut tells me, where looking at G5 iMacs in the near term.

Im not so sure on the PB's - but Im desperate to upgrade my Ti400 to a PBG5 the moment their announced!
  • Reply 23 of 48
    All those January voters have a chance... one MacRumor suggest that we will see an update by the end of the weekend!
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Quote:

DP 2.6 will be the top of the line come next week but oh how wonderful that crow will taste if you're right Lemon!

I'm standing by with a shovel just in case...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 25 of 48
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    I've never wished so much for MacRumors to be right... Crossing fingers !
  • Reply 26 of 48
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'd be surprised if Apple announced on the 20th only because IBM is set to reveal new micro porcessors that day.

On the otherhand it is the 20th year of the Mac so celebrating that on the 20th does seem like an Apple way of doing things. Personally to create maxium noise with this celebration I expect that Apple will go big. That is they will try to get as close to 3 GHz as they can in the PowerMac. Beyond that I would not be surprised to see 970's in all of the rest of the desktops.

Even is we hit slightly less that 3GHz, 2.6 GHz will put Apple in the performance leasdership position. Pretty soundly I might add. It appears that at the moment the only credible competition comes from AMD's 64 bit line. 600 MHz of extra capability ought to leave them in the dust.

Dave
  • Reply 27 of 48
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    So... are we mostly in agreement that we're getting 2.6 duals....? 3.0 would be awesome, but I would say less than 20% chance of that... Hmmmmmmm....
  • Reply 28 of 48
    isnt it great that when we talk about apple, we say "we"? i think its cool that so many people feel like part of the company.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

isnt it great that when we talk about apple, we say "we"? i think its cool that so many people feel like part of the company.

Actually "we" as in "the poor saps that frequent these boards and grovel when Steve's brushed aluminum chariot passes by"

"We" as in the consumers and professionals that check the rumor sites 5-11 times a day to see when we can have the next "weapon of choice" from our masters at AAPL.

What other company under the canopy of heaven has the devotion that "we" do for Apple? Are people needing therapy about the next soon-to-be-released product from Dell? Nope.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Countdown... 1 Day left !!!
  • Reply 31 of 48
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    or 5 to get to the magic date of the 24th
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

Are people needing therapy about the next soon-to-be-released product from Dell? Nope.

good point
  • Reply 33 of 48
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I do not see a hardware rev on the 24th.

Its a Saturday.

Nope.

Not going to happen.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    Could someone pull the plug from the server these forums are hosted upon ? I can't stand the waiting anymore.

Please...
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Has anyone got information on the 90 nm yields that IBM is getting?

I have a feeling that there will be a G5 iMac and that it will be the lower two speed levels, based on IBM yields - not Apple marketing.

While 3 Gig would be nice I think that will be a few months down the line. Again, we are at the mercy of how IBM is doing - but that is a hell of a lot better than Moto!

My 2 cents is for a G5 iMac within a fortnight - allowing the iMac to be the single G5 option and the PM the dual. By summer the PM will blow past 3 Gig as IBM tries to match, or beat, Intel on speed. PB in the fall and we'll probably be waiting a few more months for a display revision.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    If it happens, the Dual 2.0GHz models will be aplenty and cheap, now that Virginia Tech is swapping 1-for-1 the PowerMacs for xServes. 1,100 dualies just waiting to be unloaded at "used" prices.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

PS. Played with the Dual 2 gigger for the first time today. Verrrry nice machine. Opens 9 apps at once blazingly fast. Photoshop? Version 8 doesn't as optimised as it could be for this G5 machine. 300 dpi resize image. Hmmm. Not as fast as I was expecting. Some filters fast, some reasonably fast. Some instant. Erm. Mind you, it was running on a 1900 x 1200 (gorgeous) Apple display...

[...]

PPS. Edit: It only had 512 megs. Maybe it choked alittle. Guy in shop said they bunged in several gigs of ram and it processed an 800 meg image in 10 seconds...

The guy's right. The G5 has a lot of bandwidth, and that's like having a freeway with a lot of lanes: It only pays off when you have to handle a lot of traffic. The more RAM you add, the more traffic there is (the system isn't waiting the relative eternity that it takes to fetch data from the hard drive), the more useful all that bandwidth becomes in practice.

So when you get your G5, fill 'er up.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    Quote:

ven is we hit slightly less that 3GHz, 2.6 GHz will put Apple in the performance leasdership position. Pretty soundly I might add. It appears that at the moment the only credible competition comes from AMD's 64 bit line. 600 MHz of extra capability ought to leave them in the dust.

600 mhz of 970 PPC is alot better than 600 mhz of G4. At it's most optimised, the G5 is overall twice the performer the G4 is. (How much of that depends on XLC compilers I don't know. But in the benches I've seen...a single G5 is whomping a single G4.)

I'd think a 600 mhz leap for the PPC will do more for it than 600 mhz for Prescott?

Plus we know the bus speed is going to follow the cpu speed upwards this time. So each mhz bump will count in more ways than one when you factor in support for even faster memory.

I don't know if anyone has seen MOSR's latest news article. But those guys have got a whole PPC roadmap on tap.

PPC 975 Power 5 based and 3 gig plus. (Apparently it aint called the 980 anymore...was it ever called that in all but rumour?)

PPC 976 dual core.

True or not. We'll have to wait and see, eh?

At least we here snippets on various rumour sites of what process IBM is moving too. We have 0.09 X-Serves so we can ASSUME 0.09 PowerMacs at 2-2.4 gig at a conservative guess. Imminent with details from IBM's Detailed Press Release on new 0.09 processors sometime in early Feb? With an announcement by Apple in the last week of Jan'? Later this week or next Tuesday?

The sooner the better...so that in six months we can expect the dual 3 gigger by late June/early July!

I'd like to see Apple hit dual 3 gigs in the top tower and stick a single 2 gig into a low end headless mini-tower onto the market for a dirt cheap switcher box with a dirt cheap price of £495.

To pick up volume alround, I'd like to see the G5 splashed around liberally as soon as possible to push Apple through 1 million cpu sales.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 39 of 48
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    I read that on mosr this morning. It sounds like they are trying to cover all of their bases here. Unless IBM is changing the way you number processors by keeping them in families to just numbering them generally, this doesnt sound that true... It sounds more like a general numbering for the next 10 years. Notice some really large jumps? Multi cored 15Ghz chips would be great though... Maybe in about 10 years though. Well maybe now too
  • Reply 40 of 48
    kanekane Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

Actually "we" as in "the poor saps that frequent these boards and grovel when Steve's brushed aluminum chariot passes by"