why g5 pbooks will be easy to make:

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
dont jump to conclusions: i'm not saying g5 pbooks will be rolling out next week, but i think the architecture will allow for a lot more cooling than people think.

ok, we all know heat rises, and we all also know that the g5 "look" includes grill-like plates with thousands of holes. i think all apple has to do to make these pbooks a reality is move the keyboard and trackpad slighter closer to the front edge (closer to the user), and have a grill-plate with holes up against the edge where the base meets the lcd. place the processor(s ) right there on the edge, and you have natural cooling out the back and the top, in addition to whatever cooling stuff theyre using. if they can add a quiet fan in there, i think they could be cooler than g4 pbooks. maybe i'm crazy, but i think it would work, and it would work fast enough to have pbooks mass produced by the end of summer.

ok, the firing squad may line up now....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    The LCD would melt!

• Reply 2 of 29
    Then it could double as a grill for the hungry traveller! Great idea.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Based on thermosynamics, heat rises If they could get the case to act like a giant heatsink, it would work. Ok, I will guess 2Ghz PowerBook G5 coming soon.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    This sounds suspiciously like the cooling on my Time laptop - it has grills where you say, and then some more at the back and underneath, and also a massive block of metal or something at the bottom which I can only guess is meant to let you fry eggs on the move...

I'm after a laptop that doesn't cook me when I'm using it, hence buying Mac. Please don't let Mac laptops join the legion of boiling PC laptops...
  • Reply 5 of 29
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

dont jump to conclusions: i'm not saying g5 pbooks will be rolling out next week, but i think the architecture will allow for a lot more cooling than people think.

how profund obe one konobi......what a non-thread if i ever saw one....

this is just as hilarious as the people who ask for a dual processor powermac....
  • Reply 6 of 29
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    If anyone can do it, Apple can. I had not realized how much larger the G5 PowerMac case was than the El Cap case until I saw them side by side. Apple managed to pull it off- stunningly as usual. The issue is that most people will accept a larger tower, but not a correspondingly larger laptop. I would not be surprised if AAPL is working with metalurgists to find a material that will handle the heat- not Ti or Aluminum.

I doubt we will ever have to endure another 5300 fiasco. Apple learned painfully from the PB Hibachi.

ip&imac- I for one am glad to holster my weapon and skip this particular firing squad. There are plenty others that deserve it more. And I agree with you. With new materials, smart increasing of surface area and ventiliation, 90nm chips (underclocked), and the sheer willpower of Grand Master Jobs... I think a PB G5 is very doable. (Besides, Jobs, as we know, has the unique power to declare all the laws of thermodynamics and physics obsolete... there is a switch in his iGulfstream for that)

The one thing I want to understand desparately is why the damn power adapter brick on my PB Ti gets burning hot. The first one melted the wire leading to the computer, and this second one is often too hot to hold. Seems we have some wasted power there. It keeps my coffee warm all morning, though! "The PowerBook G4 with attached hot plate - Caffinate Different."
  • Reply 7 of 29
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I don't think that heat is the main problem, rather supply and power management. PC makers have been cramming desktop P4s into their machines for a couple of years now -- as hot as any G5, but battery life sucks, and the machines have been heavy.

Apple wants it light (relatively cool) and with decent autonomy. Down clocking a generation of faster chips should cool them significantly, but that will not be cheap because you still have to use the highest rated yields if you want them to switch reliably at lower voltages (where the real heat reductions happen). Also, the current power management from IBM may not be adaquate to the needs of a laptop.

Even so, all this stuff may be roughly where it needs to be for a laptop intro, yeah, you might only get 1.2-1.4 G5s, but perhaps it is doable.

If so, then as I suggested repeatedly when the G5 first broke cover, the real problem might be supply. This is still a new chip coming from a very new facility, and as best we know, it's supposed to be replaced by a newer smaller process version. It could be that so many .13u G5s juat aren't being made yet as both IBM and Apple focus on building product around .09u parts scheduled to appear a bit later.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I don't think that heat is the main problem, rather supply and power management. PC makers have been cramming desktop P4s into their machines for a couple of years now -- as hot as any G5, but battery life sucks, and the machines have been heavy.

Apple wants it light (relatively cool) and with decent autonomy. Down clocking a generation of faster chips should cool them significantly, but that will not be cheap because you still have to use the highest rated yields if you want them to switch reliably at lower voltages (where the real heat reductions happen). Also, the current power management from IBM may not be adaquate to the needs of a laptop.

Even so, all this stuff may be roughly where it needs to be for a laptop intro, yeah, you might only get 1.2-1.4 G5s, but perhaps it is doable.

If so, then as I suggested repeatedly when the G5 first broke cover, the real problem might be supply. This is still a new chip coming from a very new facility, and as best we know, it's supposed to be replaced by a newer smaller process version. It could be that so many .13u G5s juat aren't being made yet as both IBM and Apple focus on building product around .09u parts scheduled to appear a bit later.

Good point Matsu.

Speaking of the interest of a g5 in a powerbook the question is, at equal mhz or more precisely at equal watt consumption is a G5 more powerfull than a G4 ?

If not i don't see the interest to have a crippled G5 in a PB, just for marketing reasons.

A 90 nm process G4 new design from IBM should be really performant, an kick the ass of any centrino.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    The G5 is supposed to be noticeably faster than a G4 at the same clock speed.

Wouldn't the bus in these Powerbooks also get clocked down? I imagine that this would save quite a bit of power too...
  • Reply 10 of 29
    On the 15" and 17' they should just channel the heat to the speaker grills.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    they can't manage the heat by the top surface, as powerbooks have to support closed-lid operation. closing the lid would keep the convection from working and would damage the screen and the computer.

They'll have to use stuff like the cooligy technology, heatpipes and active fans...
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by G-News

they can't manage the heat by the top surface, as powerbooks have to support closed-lid operation. closing the lid would keep the convection from working and would damage the screen and the computer.

They'll have to use stuff like the cooligy technology, heatpipes and active fans...

good point... i forgot about closed-lid op....

also, in response to the size issues, i point to the xserve....
  • Reply 13 of 29
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

A 90 nm process G4 new design from IBM should be really performant, an kick the ass of any centrino.

I don't think this is sufficient, since the G4 is rather weak in FPU operations compared to the centrino. Unless IBM tweaks the FPU too.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    ipodimac have you seen an xserve? they are huge!!!<-2 extra !'s for you> they may be skinny but they sure as hell aren't small.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    and they're actively cooled with 9 high speed, ultra-noise fans....
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Hello folks,

I'm wondering if anyone here knows how the 64 bit windows laptops deal with the heat issue? As far as i know, there are a few of those already on the market. I assume they generate alot of heat.

Swerve
  • Reply 17 of 29
    ipodandimac,

Heat DOES NOT rise. Hot air or liquid does.

Croaton
  • Reply 18 of 29
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by eat@me

how profund obe one konobi......what a non-thread if i ever saw one....

this is just as hilarious as the people who ask for a dual processor powermac....

Obi-Wan Kenobi.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreatLakes8

Hello folks,

I'm wondering if anyone here knows how the 64 bit windows laptops deal with the heat issue? As far as i know, there are a few of those already on the market. I assume they generate alot of heat.

Swerve

I have not yet heard that AMD had squeezed their chip into anyones laptop yet. Could you provide more information on this?
  • Reply 20 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

I have not yet heard that AMD had squeezed their chip into anyones laptop yet. Could you provide more information on this?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat01174

http://news.com.com/2100-1003_3-5141...l?tag=nefd_top

and Alienware I think has a 64 bit notebook also...