12' 867 Powerbook purchasing advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new laptop. I, somewhat recently, sold my 12 ibook to torifile along w/ my iPod. I recieve the MacMall mags and see where they have the rev A PB for US $1299. I have an iMac 800 superdrive w/ 512 mb of ram w/Panter. How do the 2 match up? The iMac is more than enough speed for me after I loaded Panther. I'm also curious about how the first crop of 12' powerbooks turned out after time. Any comments will be most helpful. Thanks!

PS I will be selling my iMac 15 incher w/ Applecare for an insanely low price. If anyone remembers me selling my ibook...this will be even crazier! I was selling it a couple months ago but the sell didn't happen so I gave up for a while.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    The problem is that Panther keeps your fan on 24/7, which severely decreases your battery life. You may want to look into getting an iBook instead, or maybe a Rev. B. twelvie.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Could you sell your iMac for the insanely low price of $15 CDN? If so I will buy it! The payment will be in rolled pennies...

• Reply 3 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    $500 and I'll pay shipping

Maybe.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Your not far off...not far!

Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

$500 and I'll pay shipping

Maybe.

• Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Steve

The problem is that Panther keeps your fan on 24/7, which severely decreases your battery life. You may want to look into getting an iBook instead, or maybe a Rev. B. twelvie.

Panther on the Rev B 12' doesn't cause the fan to stay on? What is the difference that makes it stay on all the time on the Rev A? Can anyone with Panther on the Rev A pipe up about this? This may change my mind on which PB to buy.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trailmaster308

Panther on the Rev B 12' doesn't cause the fan to stay on? What is the difference that makes it stay on all the time on the Rev A? Can anyone with Panther on the Rev A pipe up about this? This may change my mind on which PB to buy.

trailmaster, first, thanks for the iBook. My fiancee loves it. As far as the 867 powerbook, I've got one myself and I love it. The fan issue is FUD. It's fine. Battery life is great and it's a nice powerful little computer for the price. You really can't go wrong.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

trailmaster, first, thanks for the iBook. My fiancee loves it. As far as the 867 powerbook, I've got one myself and I love it. The fan issue is FUD. It's fine. Battery life is great and it's a nice powerful little computer for the price. You really can't go wrong.

Cool. Glad to hear. However, I just called MacMall and they are sold out of 867's. I was really hoping to get one @ 1299.

Guess I will have to settle on the 1Ghz. Now off to sell my iMac.....
  • Reply 8 of 13
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trailmaster308

Cool. Glad to hear. However, I just called MacMall and they are sold out of 867's. I was really hoping to get one @ 1299.

Guess I will have to settle on the 1Ghz. Now off to sell my iMac.....

Where do you live? And are there any problems with it I should know...scratched LCD, broken superdrive, screwdriver jammed into the base

Can you give me more specs or point me which model it is with a link from everymac.com?

PM me with the price you are looking for, my parents have been wanting to get a new computer for a little and I think this would suit them perfectly.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    The fan does NOT stay on with a rev A 12" PB. I heard my fan come on exactly twice in 3+ months of use.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It sure does in 10.3.2 and it's really pissing me off that Apple's being slow about 10.3.3. They should have asked people whether they wanted such a tradeoff. However the tiny minority of idiots blathering incessantly online about PBG4 12" rev a's being too hot was what caused this. Duh, it's a subnotebook crammed with stuff what do you expect unless it's water cooled!!!!!! </rant> Sorry I just want my good old silent pbg4 back. Without hacking .kexts.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    hmm...the apple store has refurbihed Rev A 12" Superdrives for $1399 if that is of any interest
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Here you go. I seriously considered this notebook, but I ended up getting the Rev B model instead.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Thanks for all the help guys! Much appreciated. I think I have talked myself into buying the 1Ghz model. Its only a hundred bucks more unless I get a refurb w/a superdrive. I never use the SD so thats wasted tech on me, plus I prefer to put any scratches on the thing myself .