iPod mini #1 top seller at apple.com, iPod no where to be seen

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

iPod isn't even in the top 15.

that's pretty weird, unless perhaps they grouped iPod and iPod mini together accidentally.

I wonder how many sales #1. on the top sellers actually means.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

I wonder how many sales #1. on the top sellers actually means.

At least one more than #2, I'd say.
  • Reply 2 of 38
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Isn't it interesting how Apple separates the G5 sales but seems to lump all the iMac and iBook sales together?
  • Reply 4 of 38
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    i'm supprised that the mini is doing better than the 15, 20 and 40GB iPODs. i'd be willing to shell out 50 extra dollars for 11 more GBs. Maybe its just that mini is new, or that amazing size... a Buisness Card!!!! WOW

food for thought
  • Reply 5 of 38
    I think that buyers who are looking for a small player really don't care about spending $50 more for an iPod. The iPod, after all, is BIGGER than the mini.

Apple made the correct comparisons to flash based players on the market...it's others who are then making comparisons to LARGER players.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    Yeah, so far mac-nerds are the only ones I've talked to who care that for $50 more you get 11 gigs more, well, some PC-nerds too.

eitherway, the average consumer likes the size, and the new form factor, and the colors, and the price IS right in that respect.

I wonder how many people buy one thinking it's a flash drive...apple isn't too loud about that fact.

and hey, if Rob@ cockeyed.com could fool so many people into thinking this was a flatscreen TV(http://www.cockeyed.com/ebay/flatscr..._feedback.html) (http://www.cockeyed.com/ebay/flatscr...reen_ebay.html) anything is possible
  • Reply 7 of 38
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1seaside1

Isn't it interesting how Apple separates the G5 sales but seems to lump all the iMac and iBook sales together?

Well, that seems like a good answer for the missing iPods, don't it?
  • Reply 8 of 38
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1seaside1

Are any models besides the dual 2.0 even selling?

I just dropped the extra $40 (270 vs 230 EDU) for the 15G iPod, but I think I qualify as a (mac) geek and a (science) nerd, so I don't care about "mini", and I certainly don't care about style. Though the iPod isn't exactly trailer trash chic.

It does seem kind of fishy to me that *no* iPods are in the top ten. That hasn't happened since, ummm, they were introduced?
  • Reply 9 of 38
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Absolutely crazy... Anything iPod simply defies our expectations. Remember how most of the Mac community completely panned the original iPod. History is repeating itself with the Mini.

A coworker (*nix programmer/MS Whore) bought an iPod a month after I showed him mine (10GB 2G) and bought a 15" Powerbook & 3G iPod last Fall (selling his first to another programmer in the department). Last week he casually mentions that he's buying a silver Mini.

"In addition to your current one," I ask incredulously.

"Yep."

"Why?"

"'Cause of the armband. I can run with it."

I guess we forget that Steve & Co. indeed do marketing research on all this.

I, on the other hand, am waiting for mine to completely die and get one that's >30GB.

Screed
  • Reply 10 of 38
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Explanation.

iPods are currently available off store shelves whereas only places like Amazon and other e-tailers have pre-orders available for the mini. I wonder which will be on top in March or April when the buzz has died down.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    The list changes dramatically every time a new one is posted. It simply indicates how well a certain product is doing at the time it is compiled. No big deal.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Mac nerds also said that the 10gig iPod wouldn't sell because once you buy the dock and the remote ear buds that aren't included it'll cost the same as the 20gig iPod. Alas, the low end iPod has sold quite well. Fact is, most the iPods I see on the subway are the 10gig versions. People that want an iPod just want to buy the cheapest one.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Mac nerds also said that the 10gig iPod wouldn't sell because once you buy the dock and the remote ear buds that aren't included it'll cost the same as the 20gig iPod. Alas, the low end iPod has sold quite well. Fact is, most the iPods I see on the subway are the 10gig versions. People that want an iPod just want to buy the cheapest one.

How do you know they are the 10 gig versions unless you ask them?\
  • Reply 14 of 38
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

How do you know they are the 10 gig versions unless you ask them?\

I would assume if they aren't in a case with a remote on them

I have a 10GB because it was cheap with my edu discount.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I would assume if they aren't in a case with a remote on them

I have a 10GB because it was cheap with my edu discount.

Doesnt mean all that much.
  • Reply 16 of 38
    lumped together, but marketing the ipod mini
  • Reply 17 of 38
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

People that want an iPod just want to buy the cheapest one.

I think that's a good point, and perhaps we've been looking at it the wrong way. We've been saying "for $50 more, you get this." But everyone has heard of the iPod, everyone wants one, but then you see $299, $399, shit $499. Isn't there a cheaper one? OK, here's their cheapest one, and it's got colors, cool. "But it only has 4 Gigabytes!" Uh, what's a Gigabyte? "Nevermind."
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

I think that's a good point, and perhaps we've been looking at it the wrong way. We've been saying "for $50 more, you get this." But everyone has heard of the iPod, everyone wants one, but then you see $299, $399, shit $499. Isn't there a cheaper one? OK, here's their cheapest one, and it's got colors, cool. "But it only has 4 Gigabytes!" Uh, what's a Gigabyte? "Nevermind."

No, I think part of that may be right but the other half is the fact that storage capacity is meaningless to most people after 1,000 songs. To carry 1,000 songs portably and then easily be able to mix and match which 1,000 songs from the maybe 5,000 you have on your computer, well thats just plenty. The key point is that 1,000 songs on the go, in something so small, is what sells compared to 50 dollars more for songs you wont listen to while on the go anyway.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

No, I think part of that may be right but the other half is the fact that storage capacity is meaningless to most people after 1,000 songs. To carry 1,000 songs portably and then easily be able to mix and match which 1,000 songs from the maybe 5,000 you have on your computer, well thats just plenty. The key point is that 1,000 songs on the go, in something so small, is what sells compared to 50 dollars more for songs you wont listen to while on the go anyway.

yah but you could always put files that you might normally put on a zip disc or floppy
  • Reply 20 of 38
    ok back to the original topic: i'll end this with some critical thinking (stand back). this close to a new pm revision, do you really think dual 2Ghz are selling more than ipods, which were just revised? not to mention the cost diffrerence... i doubt there has ever been a time that powermac g5's have outsold ipods, except maybe when they (the g5s) were first released.