Outwitted by a Mouse.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Seems I have finally met my match ( mouse wise ).

There is one little grey mousey mouse that has decided to make my kitchen area home.

The first time I noticed it hanging around was when I was watching TV last year,

From around the corner of the kitchen this little mouse flitted into my living room. I caught sight of it out of the corner of my eye. I didn't move a muscle, but just the same it sniffed the air and then looked at me as if to say..

" Hey your not supposed to be here "

Then in the blink of an eye it shot back into the kitchen.

That night I laid out some traps. I put really nice smelly cheese on each of the three traps.

In the morning the cheese was gone.....but no mouse.

So I thought maybe it needs to be stickier food, so I put some honey and jam on each of the traps..

Next morning not a single trap had been touched.

Instead, it had decided to eat all the pumkin seeds I had placed in my kitchen's airing cupboard.

Every last one of them prize winning seeds was nibbled inside out. !

That was a month or more ago.

Now this mouse actually seems to wait for me to come into the kitchen.

When I switch on the light there is no sign of Mr Mousey Mouse, but after about 10 seconds..it suddenly flits across the floor from the stove to the fireplace.

I tell you guys, it is taunting me and tempting fate all at the same time.

laugh all you want, but this is one hell of a brainy Mouse.

And the worst of it is that I am actually starting to feel "attached" to the little rodent..

What should I do..

Anyone else happened to end up liking such pesky Mices or other such raiders of the house ?

Aqua..\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The mouse will do not many arm, unless she met an another mouse. If it's the case you will encounter an invasion. If it arrive you should better take a cat.

I used to have mices, but my cats took them in charge. Now no mice is fool enough to risk their life in my house.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    I think its a he mouse...

I might entice it with some sports mags...hehe

But if it's a she mouse...

Maybe house & garden mags ?
  • Reply 3 of 19
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Sounds like a pet...maybe you should name him?

On the TV series News Radio the staff of the radio station fell in love with a mouse that they named Mike. The station manager had traps set out and the staff was horrified when their "pet rat" was killed. Over the rest of the episode it was discovered that Mike wasn't the only mouse in the station and the staff's delight in rat(s) disappeared....one of the best episodes of that show. VERY funny.

When I was growing up we had a mouse invasion and put out traps. Our mice weren't as smart as yours and we had at least three who died in traps...you really don't want to see that. But you don't want to have ONE mouse turn into MANY....they can damage your home and they can carry illness.

Cats DO help.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

There is one little grey mousey mouse that has decided to make my kitchen area home.

The first time I noticed it hanging around was when I was watching TV last year,

From around the corner of the kitchen this little mouse flitted into my living room. I caught sight of it out of the corner of my eye. I didn't move a muscle, but just the same it sniffed the air and then looked at me as if to say..

" Hey your not supposed to be here "

Then in the blink of an eye it shot back into the kitchen.

That night I laid out some traps. I put really nice smelly cheese on each of the three traps.

In the morning the cheese was gone.....but no mouse.

So I thought maybe it needs to be stickier food, so I put some honey and jam on each of the traps..

Next morning not a single trap had been touched.

Instead, it had decided to eat all the pumkin seeds I had placed in my kitchen's airing cupboard.

Every last one of them prize winning seeds was nibbled inside out. !

That was a month or more ago.

Now this mouse actually seems to wait for me to come into the kitchen.

When I switch on the light there is no sign of Mr Mousey Mouse, but after about 10 seconds..it suddenly flits across the floor from the stove to the fireplace.

And the worst of it is that I am actually starting to feel "attached" to the little rodent..

What should I do..

Anyone else happened to end up liking such pesky Mices or other such raiders of the house ?

Aqua..\

• Reply 5 of 19
    tie a short piece of string oonto the mouse traps "trigger" and then use peanut butter, as the little barstage tugs at the strings to clean them of the bait WHAM!!!.....dead mouse
  • Reply 6 of 19
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I have heard of MagicFingers' trick from people who swear by it. And yes, kitty cats eat the meeces.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I used to host a little tricky bugger myself. He would crawl right up next to me on my nightstand at night and sniff around looking for treats. I got kind of attached to him because he was so fearless, and the thought of unsticking him from a trap was too gross to contemplate.

Anyway, the gf said the mouse must go and threatened to lay the metal squishers around the place, so one night I devised a trap of my own. A looong piece of string tied around the edge of a large garbage bag. I looped the string into the ceiling beams and layed a nice little cracker inside the bag. Set the bag in the doorway, pulled the string over to my bed, and turned out the lights.

It only took a few minutes before I heard him crunching on the cracker...then 'ZZZIIIPP'. A quick yank on the string and the bag w/ trapped mouse shot to the ceiling.

I tied up the bag, jumped in my car and drove down the block. Dumped the little guy out with his cracker and felt very, very pleased with myself.

Thank you Looney Tunes childhood.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I would have stomped the little bastard with my boot until he looked like a mini enchilada, but that's just me.

• Reply 9 of 19
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I used to have this mouse that would climb the blinds in my kitchen (they are floor length blinds on a door in my kitchen that leads to the side porch) and jump onto the top of the fridge to eat the cereal.

One standard mousetrap and a dash of peanut butter, and he was no longer a problem.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    I used standard mousetraps with peanut butter, which was much stickier and more effective than cheese. I also used the same traps with some very stick fudge-like brownie pieces.

Every time, dead mouse.

Nick
  • Reply 12 of 19
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member

Need a mousetrap? I don't have problems with mice ...
  • Reply 13 of 19
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Get some steel wool and plug up any gaps you see in floorboards and such. If you fill enough gaps they'll disappear.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    I had about 4-6 mice running about in my apartment two years ago. I hated them. They left piss and shit everywhere, were noisey and almost every trap I used failed. Except for this one...

That trap was pure genius. The trap snaps and in 3 seconds...dead mouse. You unclip the nasty bugger into the trash.

After that I plugged any opening I found in my apartment (steel wool, door strips and wood). The solution to keeping mice out of the home is to make sure they can't ever get in.

This might motivate you...it did for me...they started to chew up the wiring on my new iMac...after I realized that...they were dead meat.

I would think a cat would be best in a home. And you sure would get a great, loyal pet in the long run.

• Reply 15 of 19
    Start with that:

If that would not take care of the problem move to PLAN B:

Proceed with PLAN C if PLAN B fails:

And finally if everything else fails PLAN D is the only way to go:

• Reply 16 of 19
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I would just like to say that's a nice looking pu.... erm, putty tat you have there!
  • Reply 17 of 19
    carol acarol a Posts: 1,043member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

What should I do..

Aqua..\

Great story, Aqua. I think your mouse is cool, and I know I would get attached too. I hate killing creatures. I always feel sorry for them. After all, they are just doing what they were put on the planet to do, right? I try to co-exist; or if that is impractical, I will try to capture them unharmed and take them to a place where they can live in peace, with 'natural' food and shelter (as opposed to my house!).

In the warm months, I have a family of geckos that hangs out near my porchlight, waiting to snap up flying insects. They always have at least one baby. I feel terrible when I forget to turn the porch light on, because then their dinner doesn't fly by. It makes me feel like a bad host.

When some neighbors from back East moved in next door, a black-colored mouse must have hitched a ride in their boxes. I saw this mouse on my back porch one day, checking out my enormous white, fluffy Samoyed. The dog never knew as she lay there that this tiny creature was sniffing her. The contrast was amazing between the enormous white dog vs. that dark, fluffy, and brave little mouse. I loved watching from inside the house.

I have many birds that live in my yard, because I have lots of foliage. Teensy little finches and hummingbirds. There's a hummingbird who hovers a foot from my face to check me out when I come out of the front door, as if to say, "What are you doing on MY porch, in MY yard?" In the spring, I watch her steal spider web silk to build her nest. One time I was reading in the back yard, and she was feeding two babies in a bush. They started squabbling, and she made them move to opposite sides of the bush. It was SO cute.

Finally, back to mice. I was in the gift shop at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon a few years ago, standing at the cash register counter. As I waited my turn, I watched a very small grey mouse dragging a gigantic Milky Way bar across the carpet.....tugging and pulling. What's more amazing is that the candy bars for sale were on a wall shelf about six feet up the wall. So that mouse had been up there, knocked the candy bar off the shelf, and was carting it off - all in full view of customers and staff.

After watching a mouse go up the wall in the Grand Canyon lecture hall during a presentation by park rangers, I feel sure the mice were tolerated as part of the surrounding wildlife. I feel SURE they didn't put out poisons there, because the poisons would go right into the food chain, which contains endangered eagles and, yes, condors!!! The biggest population of wild condors in the world is just a few wing flaps from that gift shop. But this all happened before the hantavirus thing, so I don't know what they do about mice at the Grand Canyon facilities now.

I can't use herbicides on my lawn, or pesticides for ants, etc. because there are way too many other creatures around that I don't want to poison.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Artman

Apart from the fancy GT stripe that is exactly the type of trap I've been using.

Aqua \