20" PowerBook G5...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
They made the 17" G4, what would stop them from making a 20" and putting a G5 in there. One would think that they would have so much room in there that they could find a way to cool it.

Would any one buy this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    i think the 17" is borderline too big to carry around. But 20"? That seems just nutty to me.

NeilyB
  • Reply 2 of 31
    it'd be WAY too big.... you might as well carry around your g5 tower and 20 inch display...
  • Reply 3 of 31
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    They could, but why would you make an immobile laptop? Defeats the purpose. The 17" is plenty big, almost too big to carry. I think the lineup is perfect the way it is. 12" small, light, powerful, and portable. 15" powerful, still portable, great display. 17" most powerful, expandable, awesome display.

Apple has everything they need in terms of portables right now. Now all they need to do is squeeze a G5 into those bad boys.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    jubelumjubelum Posts: 4,490member
    Quote:

Originally posted by oldmacfan

.... what would stop them from making a 20" and putting a G5 in there...

Common Sense. Why not just put a 23" HD in a laptop, while we're at it.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    i think something larger than 17" is definitely viable, whether or not Apple will construct one I am not sure...

if something was say 18" or 20" it would be very useabe if it was maybe 0.5" "thin"...

maybe this is where Apple should be focusing their efforts...getting thinner...

when it comes to the computer industry..."never say never" is a good adage to live by...
  • Reply 6 of 31
    An 18" to 20" PowerBook G5 would be used by those in the film industry....i.e. they need the screen size and they need the power, as portability would be a secondary issue here.

If more space is needed to keep the G5 cool enough to be used now....then Apple should do it. Besides look at the marketing/publicity value in first 18"-20" computer with ultra fast IBM G5 chip.

8) 8) 8)
  • Reply 7 of 31
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Why would making it thinner make it any more usable?
  • Reply 8 of 31
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    That would be ludicrous. Twenty-inches on a laptop is too much. Common sense dictates this. I like the 17, but hey, ya can only go so far. Lets not get into a "mine's BIGGER than yours" contest.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

maybe wrong choice of words on my part..

maybe if it was thinner it would be 'less bulky' or it may at least be percieved to be less bulky...

if it was thinner (say 0.5"), it would be a great selling/marketing point...

perhaps not....
  • Reply 10 of 31
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I'd rather carry a 50lbs cube then a 50lbs square .5" thick if both were aluminum

I've never seen a 17", but I really can't imagine, my 15" is just perfect, and I believe while still usable the 17" would be pushing it.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

the other factor which kinda got me thinking about the relative 'thickness' is that this machine was to be marketed towards graphic professionals or creative art professionals, and some of these people who work in this industry already carry those rather large and flat leather bags that can house an entire portfolio of work...(I do not know what they are formally called)...

so that is what got me thinking about 0.5" thickness...

and for all of you creative types out there, sorry about the stereotype, as I know not everyone has one of those extremely large bags...

in the end if something was going to be larger than 17" or even 17" at all, it would be nice if it could be under an 1" in thickness...as that would make for a truly elegant piece of design and technology...
  • Reply 12 of 31
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I have seen the 17 inch in the apple store and actualy picked it up from the table {ALL pc stores frown on the idea}, and surprisingly it ts thinner lighter and cooler than most pcs and what it has in screen it makes up for by NOT haveing a gigantic border around it for example, the 17' hp if exess molding was removed from the sides of the screen, a 19 inch would fit like a dream... it is possible, this time last year(13 months ago actualy) most pc and even mac guys belly laughed at the mere mention of a 17 inch laptop ever seeing the light of day
  • Reply 13 of 31
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    The thing that makes it worse is that it's wide screen. And wither way it's very awkard to carry something that large around. I'd guess the 17" fits most peoples needs.

The way I look at it is that most people don't have bigger then a 17" monitor, and with LCD's, you don't need more than a 15". So why would you want to carry around a larger display then most people have? Apple gave professionals a standard size display in a very small form with a computer with it. If you are showing someone something they can look at it like the normally look at their display, the bigger displays 20", 22", 23" and all that are for video and graphic work when your at your desk. Normally no need to take that with you.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    regreg Posts: 832member
    A 20 would be about 2.5 inches wider and 1.6 inches deeper than the current 17 pb. I find the current 17 pb has the right amount of real estate to do almost anything and not feel crowded. Add Expose in with that it would be several years and a G5 at about 3.5 before I upgrade again. The size and weight of all the computer related equipment is next to nothing when compared to lugging around camera equipment.

reg
  • Reply 15 of 31
    maybe a more realistic option for the 17" would be to offer a higher resolution screen as a BTO...

I would be certainly onboard for that...
  • Reply 16 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Bob

An 18" to 20" PowerBook G5 would be used by those in the film industry....i.e. they need the screen size and they need the power, as portability would be a secondary issue here.

i imagine people in the film industry have towers rather than pbooks to do their work on... soreiously... i mean, at best they would be screening dailies, and who really needs anything bigger than 17 inch to review basic footage... its not like their doing visual effects on them.

edit: and besides, its a niche market. very very very very limited
  • Reply 17 of 31
    philbyphilby Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

Common Sense. Why not just put a 23" HD in a laptop, while we're at it.

Wait! Wasn't Apple rumoured to be working on a 30" display? Maybe this will be the next PowerBook! Bigger is better. Less is less.
  • Reply 18 of 31
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I want a 30" laptop.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

I want a 30" laptop.

I believe that would be more properly called a lapstop.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    All this talk about thin seems to be putting form over function. I've always thought that 1.1" seemed cool, but anorexic, in my view. I could easily love a Powerbook at 1.5", especially if it gives me a G5 with greater battery life than is currently offered.