20" PowerBook G5...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    I had a 17" monster. It was great for desktop replacement. Problem was, for the true portable user, it is way too wide. Hard to balance on one's lap, unless you have a wide lap. Mine isn't. Plus, it was just a bit too heavy for me.

The best person would be a casual traveler, who would use it on a desk at home or office. In that situation it was fantastic.

I cannot imagine what a 20" beast would be like especially with a G5 stuffed in it. Probably be like holding an xServe in one's lap, except you'd have to add a keyboard and trackpad to it.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jubelum

Common Sense. Why not just put a 23" HD in a laptop, while we're at it.

Remember the 56" Apple Display rumors? Well, now they all make sense!!!

Imagine Steve holding the new 56" Powerbook above his head...
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

.... great for desktop replacement.....The best person would be a casual traveler, who would use it on a desk at home or office. In that situation it was fantastic.[/B]

So true. So many people diss the 17" pBook as "ridiculously large" but I use it essentially as a desktop until I have to travel 5-6 times a year for work. I used to always carry my 15" tiBook in a 13 X 18 inch briefcase and the 17 inch fits nicely in that, so why not use it..? If I 20 inch powerbook fit in that same briefcase I would upgrade to that too.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

I believe that would be more properly called a lapstop.

or a laps-hot especially with a g5 in it
  • Reply 25 of 31
    jadejade Posts: 379member
    even though I agree 20" is completely ridiculous...it would make one killer 20th anniversary product!
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Imagine Steve holding the new 56" Powerbook above his head...

I'm envisioning the entire PowerBook design team walking on stage with it held above their collective heads...
  • Reply 27 of 31
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

I'm envisioning the entire PowerBook design team walking on stage with it held above their collective heads...

...with Steve lying on top, draped in an ermine edged cape made of deep red velour and wearing a diamond studded black turtleneck, royal blue jeans and Bill's a$$ for a crown.....
  • Reply 28 of 31
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kroehl

...with Steve lying on top, draped in an ermine edged cape made of deep red velour and wearing a diamond studded black turtleneck, royal blue jeans and Bill's a$$ for a crown.....

hehehehehehehe

oh to hell with them turtlenecks !

perhaps the man should drop the puter nerd look.

puter nerds build their own pcs, that's half the fun they say, if you ask me the man could sure use a stylist.

and uuhhh......: who's handwriting is bad enough to need a 20" notebook ? "I mean, come on!"
  • Reply 29 of 31
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ~ufo~

[snipperdesnipsnipsnip]

and uuhhh......: who's handwriting is bad enough to need a 20" notebook ? "I mean, come on!"

mine, i can't even read it myself.

but in contrast i can draw very small pictures of sumo wrestling mice who beat the crap out of each other...

so 15" will do for me
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Yes there is a difference between a laptop and a portable computer, the later is not ment for your lap. Yes people would find it heavy, yes people would find it too big for them, and then there are those that would buy them in wonder-lust. Maybe the 17" and 20" will be labeled portable with a G5 crammed in and the 12" and 15" would be labeled laptop devices with upgraded G4's. Now you would have a split lineup in the PowerBook family and people would have a choice. Is that not what everone wants is a choice. How many years ago was it that all we had was the 15"? (rhetorical) Apple, IMO, does not want to make a 1.5" or 1.75" thick Powerbook just so they can wedge horn a G5 in it. So if you won't do it thicker, do it bigger in another direction.

P.S. If Apple makes a 20" G5 PB, I would not buy one. I like my 15", it fits on my lap.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    How much battery power would a 20" screen take? Wouldn't that prevent a real usability for a bohemoth like that?