GarageBand-hard disk too slow

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
just got it today and playing some demo songs and got this message on my 1st generation G4 FP imac.

so we need a fast harddisk? anyone got the same message?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    yeah i did when trying out a g4 demo on

a powerbook ti 800 +1gb ram

as the number of tracks goes up it will give the

hdd quite a beating
  • Reply 2 of 16
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    This error is so weird. I have a stock 1.25GHz PowerBook with the 4200 RPM drive and I have yet to see this message. I don't think I've set up more than 10 tracks yet though. Still, if my slow laptop HD can work with GB why wouldn't a 7200 RPM drive???
  • Reply 3 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Maybe it can't keep up with GB *and* perform virtual memory swapping?

How much RAM do you have in that beast?
  • Reply 4 of 16
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    When I tried it on my 1G iMac G4 800MHz, I got that message, too... but that was because I was trying to play it off the DVD (contrary to the instructions of the folder).

Once I moved it to my Hard Drive, then it worked flawlessly... well... it still lagged, but it played. Oh, and I have 768 MB of RAM.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I've got a 1.25GHz 15" PowerBook with 512MB RAM, and I had about 10 or so tracks the other night and never got any sort of message. That is odd.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I get the message at 3-4 tracks of live recorded music, but haven't seen the message when using Apple loops with 8 or so tracks.

867QS gig ram.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    That doesn't surprise me, Loops are compact little symbolic representations, while audio is a lot bigger and CPU intensive.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    do what i did...

go to fry's & pick up a firewire/usb hdd case for 59$

toss in a spare ide hdd if you have one lying around

& hook that to the mac

as a bonus you could probably partition the hdd for multiple

os's linux/bsd/win2k etc etc & use it everywhere
  • Reply 9 of 16
    that error is common for music production, it mean's either you're doing more than what the computer can process, or most likely you need a faster hard drive, 7200 rpm's minimum.

with music productions, that becomes a necessity. the computer is just trying to read too much data from a hard drive that cant supply it in time.

if you get a firewire 7200 rpm hard drive, you should be ok.

sean
  • Reply 10 of 16
    whisperwhisper Posts: 735member
    I got that error once, tried doing it again, and everything worked fine. Didn't quit the app or anything.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by facelike

that error is common for music production, it mean's either you're doing more than what the computer can process, or most likely you need a faster hard drive, 7200 rpm's minimum.

with music productions, that becomes a necessity. the computer is just trying to read too much data from a hard drive that cant supply it in time.

if you get a firewire 7200 rpm hard drive, you should be ok.

sean

The original 160GB Seagate that came with my DP 1.25GHZ G4 is a scratch drive for Apps so I will just save projects to it and also store the loops their.

I also have a 120GB Master from my Beige which was an un-successful second HD.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    I have a 15" AluBook 1.25Ghz with the stock 512MB RAM and I get the processing error or Hard Disk error when doing apples samples. I guess I could hook up my 6GB FW drive and run off of that \

Why would my processing power not be enough, it's a new G4!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Or try that:

HIDE this part

Still getting it?

• Reply 14 of 16
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

I have a 15" AluBook 1.25Ghz with the stock 512MB RAM and I get the processing error or Hard Disk error when doing apples samples. I guess I could hook up my 6GB FW drive and run off of that \

Why would my processing power not be enough, it's a new G4!

ast3r3x,

How many tracks do you have going? I ask because I have a stock 1.25GHz also and haven't run into this issue. Maybe I'll load up 20 tracks tonight and see what happens.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I have 1.25 ALbook, with upgraded HD (7200 rpm, 60GB), 1gb of ram, and still got that message, also during playback of apple sample stuff. But as soon as you hide that panel it goes away, another thing you can do is to set your CPU to maximum performance.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    I've been getting this error as well: G4/533, 768 ram, an IBM and a Maxtor internal, and a QPS firewire drive, all 7200 rpm. I'm running one drum loop and three live audio tracks (two guitars and a bass). When I try to add another loop or record another live track, the programs barks at me.

Now here's the question: my 533 is getting a bit long in the tooth--but not unserviceable. If I want to get more tracks, should I get a processor upgrade (I can get a 1 ghz upgrade for around $350, iirc) or a faster hard drive?

Cheers

Scott