Mac OSRumors (I Know) Says Upgraded G5's on January 24 And....

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Actually, that's the most believable 'guess' I've seen on that site in I don't know how long:

*PowerPC 975 - POWER5 core, 90-nanometer/11-layer CMOS process, Hyperthreading, 3GHz+ (previously planned as PPC 980)

*PowerPC 976 - POWER5 Dual Core, 65nm SSOI (Strained Silicon On Insulator) process, VMX2 instructions, 4GHz+

*PowerPC 980 - POWER6 core, 65nm/11-layer FinFET/SSOI process, VMX2, 5GHz+

*PowerPC 985 - POWER7 Dual Core, 45nm, 9GHz+

*PowerPC 990 - POWER8 Multi-Core, 32nm, 15GHz+

Interesting...

The first line is believable, maybe the second. The rest are all complete fantasy. Is Mr. MacPhisto around?
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

I'd say AI, Macrumors and TS in a three way tie.

Between those three sites, practically no stone goes unturned.

Oh, and I think AI goofed on the updated G5 towers release date.

TS has been really crappy lately, ai is good when it actually posts something, and macrumors is a good round-up.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    shawkshawk Posts: 116member
    The Register had a story about this last year.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/31594.html

Allowing for confusion in IBM product numbering, the report was surprisingly prescient.

".... a 970 die-shrink to 90nm seems most likely. Neither course is expected for some time, though the anonymous source pegs January or February 2004 for the first G5 PowerBooks.

Power 5 prototypes have been fabbed at 130nm (0.13 micron), but the source claims the 980 will be fabbed at 90nm.

Beyond that, he or she claims, comes the sequence-following 990, to be fabbed at 65nm in 2005/2006 and running from 6GHz initially and rising to 10GHz.

The PowerPC 9900 will take the platform to 45nm in 2007/2008. It will run at 9-10GHz and ramp up over time to 20-25GHz in 2010-2011."
  • Reply 24 of 43
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    When did Meader forget to reregister his domain? That's when I gave up on MOSR. If ya want my views on the other sites: AppleInsider used to be pretty good, currently tho, news seems to be fed to Kasper via Morse code, and he uploads his posts to AI using coast-guard style flags. MacRumors is one site I like alot, they are generally accurate, and have enough sense to put their stupider rumors on Page 2. Think Secret is the site I really have no feelings about so...

Note to Meader: re: PPC 980, 985, 990: Lay off the crack, no one can make accurate roadmaps that far in advance, so why post that crap?
  • Reply 25 of 43
    I guess it means no new announcements then, as the rumour mill is completely silent and no press announcements have been arranged. Oh well, so much for a great Mac year - 1 month down and not a lot going on.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    what about LoopRumors?

Wouldn't it just be insane if Apple announced in a week or so: "Yeah, we just decided to put in some 10Ghz chips."

It would be inconceivable, and never would happen, but it would be pretty ****ing awesome.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    Quote:

Originally posted by musicaltone

I guess it means no new announcements then, as the rumour mill is completely silent and no press announcements have been arranged. Oh well, so much for a great Mac year - 1 month down and not a lot going on.

No rumours means good security at Apple. We might yet see something this month.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:

Apple could release a speed boost to the PowerMac line without a press release. The same with the iMac if they are not releasing a new model and kept it with a G4. The 7457's are shipping now at speeds of up to 1.4 Ghz, at least PowerLogix is shipping upgrades using these chips.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:

quote:

*PowerPC 975 - POWER5 core, 90-nanometer/11-layer CMOS process, Hyperthreading, 3GHz+ (previously planned as PPC 980)

*PowerPC 976 - POWER5 Dual Core, 65nm SSOI (Strained Silicon On Insulator) process, VMX2 instructions, 4GHz+

*PowerPC 980 - POWER6 core, 65nm/11-layer FinFET/SSOI process, VMX2, 5GHz+

*PowerPC 985 - POWER7 Dual Core, 45nm, 9GHz+

*PowerPC 990 - POWER8 Multi-Core, 32nm, 15GHz+

Of course, these are probably fantasy.

But remember something like these specs will be developed for Macs, a few years from now. Mmmmmmm.....15Ghz. Damn, Appleworks is gonna be snappy!
  • Reply 30 of 43
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Now some clarifications. From MOSR:

Quote:

More details on future PowerPCs. Some quick updates on the processor front:

The PowerPC 976, the first dual-core 97x chip based on the POWER5 architecture, will probably ship in mid-2005 and will also be the first PowerPC to use the VMX2 vector ("Velocity Engine") instruction set; VMX2 will vastly increase the range of applications that will benefit from AltiVec/Velocity Engine-optimized code as well as the performance of that code. In particular, watch for Apple to tout VMX2's impressive 3D graphics performance.

The single-core PPC 980 will be Apple's workhorse high-end processor beginning in early 2006 and variants will probably still be powering low-end Macs until nearly 2010.

In late 2006, the PPC 985 will take over the high end of the Mac with a return to dual-core architecture based on POWER7. By this time IBM and Apple project that the cost to performance ratio of the PPC 9xx family will be no less than 5X that of any planned or otherwise likely competitor processor from Intel.

Although processors after the 985 run so far into the future as to be impractical to speculate upon, one notable feature mentioned in internal Apple documents is "the ability to emulate Intel architectures with performance no less than 2X that of native solutions." Interesting....

Most intriguing perhaps, though vague, are the comments on VMX2.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Funny thing is, looking at the Apple website today 20 Jan, it doesn't look like Apple will be doing anything at all for the 20th Anniversary of the Mac - the even removed what little mention there was of it off the front page.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Quote:

Funny thing is, looking at the Apple website today 20 Jan, it doesn't look like Apple will be doing anything at all for the 20th Anniversary of the Mac - the even removed what little mention there was of it off the front page.

I think most people consider January 24 the anniversary of the Mac. That was the date of the famous super bowl ad. The 20th is just a Tuesday close to that date and Apple has been releasing new hardware then.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

well the front page is randomized, there are like 10 different items that change each time you load it. I just loaded it, got iPods on the main(pink mini) G5 Xserve, iLife, final cut express, and virginia tech.

a quick reload and I get iLife main, mini ipods, Xserve, final cut express and 20 years of macintosh in the sub categories.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Robot and Kurt: fair points but one would think that Apple would start to ramp up coverage as the date approaches not tone it down. I reloaded a few times and no sign of the 20th anniversary promo. I also looked through eh hot news section and there is no mention of the anniversary there either. And with no press conference booked (normally Journos are given 1 weeks notice) I dont think anything "big" is gonna happen. Probably some cheesy front page birthday cake deal. Which is fair enough - 20 years is no milestone. Isn't it normally the 25th, 50th,. etc. anniversaries anyway?
  • Reply 35 of 43
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    Well we passed Jan 20th and nothing new. A company would be committing suicide to release something on a weekend, unless it was at a major show. We will see something new soon, but we will also see indications of it. Are the current G5's EOL yet?
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Quote:

Which is fair enough - 20 years is no milestone. Isn't it normally the 25th, 50th,. etc. anniversaries anyway?

sheee-it try to tell my wife that....
  • Reply 37 of 43
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    If anything Apple will use the 24th Jan to release something. Seeesh, why else would they have used the advert to promote the annivesary in such a way... If anything related to the anniversary is going to be released, it'll happen on the 24th.

Apple isn't bounded to Tuesdays.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Has anyone read yesterdays MOSR update?

Seriously, the guy has gone off his rocker
  • Reply 39 of 43
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

Has anyone read yesterdays MOSR update?

Seriously, the guy has gone off his rocker

Quote:

By this time IBM and Apple project that the cost to performance ratio of the PPC 9xx family will be no less than 5X that of any planned or otherwise likely competitor processor from Intel.

Err, isn't that backwards? Nah, he's not just making this up off the top of his head, he really heard this from his IBM and Apple sources.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Quote:

Originally posted by tfworld

Well we passed Jan 20th and nothing new. A company would be committing suicide to release something on a weekend, unless it was at a major show. We will see something new soon, but we will also see indications of it. Are the current G5's EOL yet?

got an e-mail today from MacZone advertising iMacs starting at $999.

http://www.maczone.com/cgi-bin/zones...12769&zone=mac