do you use themes?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
do you use themes, yes or no

if so, what program(s) do you use?

if you create themes, what program(s) do you use?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    yes, sometimes, then i crawl back to the finder, and start all over again
  • Reply 2 of 20
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    dude, did you just answer your own question?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    why, yes, i believe i did...whoops
  • Reply 4 of 20
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    every once in a while, i'll see a theme that i just have to see "in action," but the cost of kaleidoscope and/or duality, shapeshifter, et al. have always caused me to think that the current GUI is "just fine" -- not great, not horrid, "just fine," and best of all conflict free and cost free (well, except that $129 upgrade). sometimes, if i know i will be reinstalling my system in the next few days, i'll put a whackload of shareware on board like that, just to give it a whirl.

so, for the poll, i said "no," since i don't the vast majority of the time.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

every once in a while, i'll see a theme that i just have to see "in action," but the cost of kaleidoscope and/or duality, shapeshifter, et al. have always caused me to think that the current GUI is "just fine" -- not great, not horrid, "just fine," and best of all conflict free and cost free (well, except that $129 upgrade). sometimes, if i know i will be reinstalling my system in the next few days, i'll put a whackload of shareware on board like that, just to give it a whirl.

so, for the poll, i said "no," since i don't the vast majority of the time.

dualtity is free, except you don't get an extra "prolike" feature which i don't use, even though i paid for it
  • Reply 6 of 20
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    I have a non standard color scheme for windows XP, so I guess I use themes. Probably not the answer that you were expecting.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

I have a non standard color scheme for windows XP, so I guess I use themes. Probably not the answer that you were expecting.

not quite...
  • Reply 8 of 20
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Why would you want to change the way OS X looks, the only changes i have done have made it look worse and run slower and be more buggy, (but then what do in know Brad.)
  • Reply 9 of 20
    i like the theme milk (http://homepage.mac.com/max_08/index.htm)

and dark glass (http://www.resexcellence.com/themes/..._darkglass.sit)

^

|

that's the download, just FYI
  • Reply 10 of 20
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I don't use themes because I figure the less I do to potentially screw up my computer the better.

As close as I've come to a different theme is to change the icons and desktop picture around to match my style. I figure doing that kind of stuff is harmless.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    I use AquaExtreme because it fixes little quirks with the Aqua GUI and makes it look better IMO. It's hardly different from Aqua, but if you notice the subtle differences, you really appreciate them.

Oh, and I use ThemeChanger 0.6.1
  • Reply 12 of 20
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    I was using ShapeShifter for a little while. I however uninstalled it for the time being. It has a few things that bug the crap out of me, one being that is takes several seconds for password dialogs to come up. Hopefully v1.1 will fix all the little things.

Now I use Aqua Extreme with ThemeChanger. max nicely cleaned up the little things in Aqua that Apple hasn't updated yet to match the flatter Aqua look like the scroll and progress bars.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    No themes for me. I don't want to mess with that kind of stuff. It would just slow my computer down anyway. OS X is beautiful as it is.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    ShapeShifter: Aluminum Alloy Green. 8)
  • Reply 15 of 20
    *lurks ominously*

• Reply 16 of 20
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

*lurks ominously*

I was wondering when you'd show up....

Not going to give the poor boy a few links of wisdom?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    ShapeShifter Black Milk, Clear Dock, and WindowShadeX.

Over all my 800Mhz iMac performs OK
  • Reply 18 of 20
    I use Windows blinds on XP. I don't use themes with OS X. The problem with themes is that they degrade the performance of the operating system and they invariably break when the OS gets upgraded or some security patch comes along.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    duality hosed my computer once. so since then i haven't used themes. shame too because i was really liking the one i was using.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    ShapeShifter 1.1 has been released and one of the major thigns that annoyed me has been fixed. The whole password dialog delay is now not there. maybe another go at it is in order.