more features for the ipod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
doesn't matter if they are physically possible or not, what would make the iPod even cooler?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    personally, i would like to have the wheel also be able to function as a spinner, so i can dj on the go, and spin and scratch when i feel like it
  • Reply 2 of 65
    tfworldtfworld Posts: 181member
    How about giving one free when you buy the rumored 20th Ann mac? Oh yeah, include a doc too...
  • Reply 3 of 65
    lol i wish they would just give iPods away for free...not gonna happen though
  • Reply 4 of 65
    Yeah I know. It would be cool to have even longer battery life and maybe a few more apps.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The iPod is a Digital Hub device, so off to Digital Hub we go...
  • Reply 6 of 65
    there's a program called book2pod which lets you read books on the pod
  • Reply 7 of 65
    How do you read books on something that small? That makes my head hurt thinking about it...
  • Reply 8 of 65
    hence the popularity of Audiobooks for the iPod
  • Reply 9 of 65
    1st i want a crossfade. i've been asking for that (yes, sending emails) for a long time.

second, i want a "suspended mode"--let me explain...

when in the now playing screen, holding down a button loads your playlist into a sort of 'background mode', then you have freedom to go around and click songs and rate them without playing them, so you can keep your playlist going. when done, just go back to the now playing screen and hold down the select button for about 5 seconds, and you go back into regular mode. it seems easy to do.

hmm.... the dj scratching thing would be cool, and actually that could be another feature of the suspend thing. once in 'suspend mode', you could use the scroll pad to 'scratch' your songs or whatever.... the possibilities are endless.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    i want to be able to use my own equalizer presets on the pod
  • Reply 11 of 65
    pitch control
  • Reply 12 of 65
    i want to be able to copy my ratings from the iPod to the Mac, because, when i'm on the go, i rate something, and then i forget to rate it on the computer, and it's just a general pain in the @$$!
  • Reply 13 of 65
    neilwneilw Posts: 77member
    There are a few small firmware features I'd like. Not necessarily things that'd make the iPod much cooler per se, but more useful for me at least.

1) Stop playing when external power is removed (or have this as an option at least). Useful for in-car use. Now, I have to remember to stop it each time I leave the car. Should be near-trivial to implement.

2) Sound check should be active through the dock connector. Using the Belkin auto adapter (including the audio jack), volume varies wildly from track to track, even with Sound Check turned on. I read somewhere that Sound Check does not apply to the dock connector audio, for whatever reason.

3) Mark tracks as "album only". I use scramble mode a lot, but a lot of albums have "filler" tracks, reprises, intros, etc., that get nonsensically scrambled along with everything else. I want a tag I can set up in iTunes that marks certain tracks as "album only", so that they are ignored by both smart playlists and scramble mode.

4) Shortcut to turning scramble on and off. When browsing deep in the library, you have to do a lot of navigating to turn scramble on or off, and then a lot of navigating to get back to browsing. It would be really nice if there was a shortcut to doing that.

That would make me happy...
  • Reply 14 of 65
    i want a way to be able to see the genre of the playing song, or at least have that as an option
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Pod2Go adds movie listings, weather, news feeds (rss), horoscopes, driving directions and more to your iPod, each time you sync.

Screenshots
  • Reply 16 of 65
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

i want to be able to use my own equalizer presets on the pod

Amen to that! It'd be cool to set up EQ settings for different headphones inside the iPod itself AND/OR set them up in the computer and have them sync perfectly into the iPod.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    i'm an audiophile, so i need to have my equalizer, dammit
  • Reply 18 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by neilw

3)... I want a tag I can set up in iTunes that marks certain tracks as "album only", so that they are ignored by both smart playlists and scramble mode.

4) Shortcut to turning scramble on and off...

I could not agree with you more.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by neilw

4) Shortcut to turning scramble on and off. When browsing deep in the library, you have to do a lot of navigating to turn scramble on or off, and then a lot of navigating to get back to browsing. It would be really nice if there was a shortcut to doing that.

in Panther you can set up a menu shortcut for it
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

i want to be able to copy my ratings from the iPod to the Mac, because, when i'm on the go, i rate something, and then i forget to rate it on the computer, and it's just a general pain in the @$$!

if your ipod is set to auto update, play count and ratings all transfer and sync with the comp... your requested feature is already here!