Marijuana Overdose

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
nope, not a typo. i just read an article, at the telegraph, about a fatal marijuana overdose. i had previously read, and been under the impression, that the fatal amount of marijuana had an ld/ed of 10000/1 (meaning that the lethal dose was something like 10,000 times an average dose; comparatively, i've been told, alcohol poisoning kicks in at like 10:1). anyone hear about this? i wonder if his mari was spiked. this may also affect the potential reclassification of marijuana in the u.k. (they are [were?] planning to put cannabis in class c on jan29). your thoughts?

they quote a professor who says that "This type of death is extremely rare." I was under the impression that it was so rare, that no one, in man's recorded history, has ever died of marijuana poisoning/overdose, or anything related (i mean, aside from being so stoned that they miss otherwise obvious safety dealies, like windows, cars, trains, ...).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Something is afoot here. If by "stronger marijuana" they mean laced with PCP I could believe. And the fact that this comes just as the UK was going to reclassify the drug seems iffy. Perhaps if he died from a condition usually associated with cigarettes like a stroke or something. I don't know. I call Bunk. Bunk. Bunk. Bunk.

Bunk.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    You can OD on anything, even water, if you're a big enough idiot.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Bullocks, I've seen Cheech and Chong smoke a hoobie the size of my forearem and they didn't OD. Duuuude!!
  • Reply 4 of 28
    genetically engineered or bred cannibis may be produced that allows for a larger dose of THT (active ingredient) than ordinarily. Also a persons suseptability to the drug will vary as a matter of course. The LD (lethal dose) is an average which means there is a distribution of LDs across the board.

In any event, Drugs are bad. This message brought to you by people like Nancy Reagan and by the numbers 4 and 20.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Drugs are bad mmmkay.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Drugs are bad mmmkay.

Exactly what I was gonna say. It might not have even been an OD, just a reaction. Some people are allergic or have a strange reaction to pot when they smoke it. That is a likely culprit in this case.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Exactly what I was gonna say. It might not have even been an OD, just a reaction. Some people are allergic or have a strange reaction to pot when they smoke it. That is a likely culprit in this case.

yeah . . . and the stranger the better

8)
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Good reaction= hunger/munchies, euphoria

Bad reaction= cottonmouth or now, death

I miss the 70's......... just good clean gold for $20 a satchel

• Reply 9 of 28
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Marijuana, the only drug that doesn't kill people. Let's make it illegal
  • Reply 10 of 28
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    it's more likely it was pesticide residue on the damn leaves than an actual marijuana overdose.

i'm not buying it.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

i'm not buying it.

Yeah, um, neither am I. I mean, selling, either. Nope, not me....
  • Reply 12 of 28
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    The main point of the article is that the guy smoked six joints a day for 11 years straight. Eventually the build up of THC must have gotten to him.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    I smell something a bit funky in that article ... or wait that smells coming from my room. mmm chips ...
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

The main point of the article is that the guy smoked six joints a day for 11 years straight. Eventually the build up of THC must have gotten to him.

Yeah, that's what I was gonna say. That's what I suspect anyway. The THC builds up in your system. Once upon a time I knew what the half life was, but those brain cells are gone.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    20 hours to 10 days is the half-life of THC. i love this website.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    If I was gonna die... that right there is the way I'd go...

High as a kite... with no way down.

Really, if this person did not feel any pain from the reaction then he "passed on" really well.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Maybe we should get the trial lawyers after Big Cannabis.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

it says in the article, that the dood smoked like 6jays/day. i think he would have presented some kind of allergic reaction at some point before.

i was just looking around, and i found this quote, from the dea (hold your breath, its a bit surprising considering the source).

"Marijuana, in its natural form, is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man.... At present it is estimated that marijuana's LD-50 is around 1:20,000 or 1:40,000. In layman's terms... a smoker would theoretically have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette... nearly 1500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response." [In the Matter of Marijuana Rescheduling Petition, U.S. Dept. of Justice, DEA, Docket No. 86-22, Sept. 6, 1988 (Young, J.). Back in '88, some member of the dea, or something, actually suggested reclassifying pot. the quote mentioned summarizes some of the points, which if you review the full text, are backed by medical evidence. the drug czar denied the attempt.]

seems i was underestimating the ld50. i don't know what about marijuana would mean that the supposed 20000x dose would have to be within fifteen minutes, but it makes it seem a lot less likely. and there i was trying to take an article at face value. that'll learn me. cool to see most everybody finds fault in the article.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Stay away from Marijuana. If you begin soon you will start smoking and then you just go downhill.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Stay away from Marijuana. If you begin soon you will start smoking and then you just go downhill.

what if i've already started? and perchance, i noticed that the downward slope of this hill, infact is on an incline (ie: i fall up)? then what? [fall up... what the fvck am i thinking? sweet sweet mari, explain this to me. ]