State of the Union tonight...place your bets...Thread v2

Comments

• Reply 61 of 124
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    So.... are they still even LOOKING for OBL?
  • Reply 62 of 124
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Pelosi looks like Bender. That smile looks painful Nancy, be more natural.
  • Reply 63 of 124
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    The nightmare speech is just over. GWB's speechwriters are masters of Orwellian doublespeak and lies. America is morphing into plutocracy.

• Reply 64 of 124
    In conclusion, if you have the same beliefs as Bush, you're are a moronic moron. Please see your nearest Democrat for salvation.
  • Reply 65 of 124
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Nancy Pelosi's speech was just okay. Daschle's kicking ass though.
  • Reply 66 of 124
    Daschle is stumbling badly over a lot of his words and fracturing many more sentences than Bush did. I wouldn't say this is kick ass.
  • Reply 67 of 124
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Daschle is making me want to jab my eyes out with a spoon.

"lost............. cause

lost............. cause"

If these asshats don't talk about gay marriage they are useless to me.
  • Reply 68 of 124
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    Are you ish'ing me? Can they at least pretend they wrote the speech, and aren't reading it for the 1st time? "Democratic Response?" They wrote this thing weeks in advance and would have said it even if gwb resigned during his speech.
  • Reply 69 of 124
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

Daschle is stumbling badly over a lot of his words and fracturing many more sentences than Bush did. I wouldn't say this is kick ass.

that's fine. his speaking style is undeniably more natural and he's way more articulate. I thought the substance of his speech was kick-ass.
  • Reply 70 of 124
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I loved when GW paused after saying "The Patriot Act is due to expire next year", and a few brave Dems inserted some applause right there.

A few of you got on my case a couple of weeks ago when I talked about GW wanting to amend the Constitution to limit rather than expand freedom, specifically wanting to ban gay marriage and flag "desecration" -- as if this were some sort of made-up issue on my part. Well, at least as far as gay marriage, there it was right in GW's State of the Union. Yes, still damned unlikely to be passed, but even using such talk to pander to your constituency is pretty sad, especially in a State of the Union address.

Most blatant and cheesy moment of patting himself on the back: When Bush talked about visiting the troops, specifically mentioning the aircraft carrier and Thanksgiving. All I could think was "My fellow Americans, please remember my wonderful photo ops from this past year."

When it came time for the Dems to give their response, I agreed with much of the substance of what they were saying, but I think that both Pelosi and Daschle should have put a little more effort into practicing their damned speeches. When you make Dubya seem eloquent by comparison, something's gone badly wrong. Pelosi looked like she was afraid of blinking and losing a contact lens.
  • Reply 71 of 124
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Pelosi and Daschle, ugh. Did anybody bother to wake these two corpses before they got on camera?

Screed
  • Reply 72 of 124
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

must work together to counter the negative influence of the culture

there it is . . . from the transcript

is this some kind of code for stroking his radical-right base?

is it just another code for 'hollywood elite' which itself is just another code for 'Jews'? hmm? of course that's just extreme paranoia on my part . . .

but there is something odd about that phrase: 'The culture" . . . . what culture? his culture?

Gay culture?

hip-hop culture?

Neo-con culture

Corporate culture?

Yogurt?
  • Reply 73 of 124
    He has won my vote, as in Independant I see Bush as being the only candidate that is able to speak from the heart. Now, I dont agree with everything he says, how can anyone? I just think he is one of the least bitter politicians left in the country today, you cant say that isnt true, just to see the faces of Ted Kennedy and Hillary tonight confirmed one thing to me: Some high ranking Democrats have zero respect for the office (Clinton proved it). It is just not right to be so bitter, conteptuous, (to boo a presidential speech? wow) and closed minded. I honestly listened to what the man had to say, I thought about why Bush thinks and believes in the things he does, and then compared them to why I think and believe what I think. If I go deep beneath the obvious and simple surface of the issues, I find I agree more often than not with his positions.
  • Reply 74 of 124
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    I can't even watch him. I tried. I keep thinking... yeaaaah right.

Oh that'll work?!

Sanctity of marriage?! That's important? They showed Rick Santorum leering over at the democrats when that line went. Yeah Rick we know that's your issue.

Savings accounts?!

Libya?! He took credit for libya. wtf.

A permission slip? Dude. Go to the prinicpals's office... you've been suspended.
  • Reply 75 of 124
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

Was there really booing?

I missed that.

I didn't see Hillary as looking contemptuous at all . . . she was even smiling and clapping . . . you are just looking for what you want to find.
  • Reply 76 of 124
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Everyone does.

Some people see Hillary looking contemptuous, others see Bush looking smug.

Goes both ways.
  • Reply 77 of 124
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    Massiah... is this your first State of the Union?

Cuz you apparently have never seen one.

President's get scolded often in SOTU. HE says something and they say to each other... like hell you will. Especially when the democrats have been shut out of the process in the congress as they have been this session.
  • Reply 78 of 124
    I don't see him looking smug I see him "speaking from his heart" in that he believes what he says . .

its just that he coded everything so that it shows only the sides that will appeal to the volk, while still allowing his base to understand

so he believes . . . so what?!

its what he believes that I don't like

actually . . .I take all that back . . . I don't think he believes himself . ..after all he has blatantly lied to the people about his motivations before and had the same psuedo-amiable tone of the down-home good old boy . . . why has he changed all of a sudden . . .
  • Reply 79 of 124
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiahtosh

If I go deep beneath the obvious and simple surface of the issues, I find I agree more often than not with his positions.

This surprises me...I see Bush as appealing to the lowest common denominator...could you elaborate please?
  • Reply 80 of 124
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Well Bush has my vote. I didn't agree with everything he said, but he has something everyone else seems to lack. He believes in something. He doesn't seem intent on pure politick and ambition, he believes that he has a vision for a better America. Bush seems to have the kind of belief that can carry a man thru the desert without food and water for days. As long as people can keep that belief in check for him, I think he will be good for leading the nation. If that belief turns on itself and fuels the kind of blind belief that we see in terrorists, we better watch-out.