G3 iMac RAM question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I could have sworn I started a thread on this topic but I couldnt find it so I apologize if this is a repeat:

I purchased a 256Mb PC100 chip from PNY which was recommended for my G3 iMac400DV running OSX Panther. After installation I checked the system profile and it said that the chip I installed was slower RAM than the 64Mb PC100 chip that came with the iMac. The PNY RAM is 3-2-2. The Apple RAM is 2-2-2.

I had asked if this was a problem and got mixed replies so I was still concerned about it. I emailed Ramjet.com and this is what they said:

>I wouldn't recommend running that module, since it will not just be that module that is slower. The 3-2-2 speed module will slow down your entire memory bus by one clock cycle per instruction. This will degrade your system performance by 16.7%. Unfortunately, we do not price match, but we do offer a superior product.<

I also emailed small dog electronics which has lower prices than everywhere else I checked and they said:

>You'll actually want either the 256MB PC133 DIMM ($52;

http://www.smalldog.com/product/38764) or the 512MB PC133 DIMM ($114;

http://www.smalldog.com/product/38767). PC133 DIMMs will slow themselves down to PC100 speed automatically and are actually less expensive these days.<

OK, now I am confused. PNY had said not to buy PC133 because they werent backwards compatible anymore with any machine below 1Ghz. I emailed PNY to ask why the RAM they recommended was 3-2-2 instead of the 2-2-2 PC100 that came with the iMac but havent received a reply yet.

What do I do? Do I keep the slower PNY RAM in there? Do I return it for 2-2-2 PC100 (more expensive by $30 than the PNY which had a rebate), or do I go for the PC133 Small Dog RAM, which costs the same as the PNY PC100 did.

Thank you for your time, I am one confused puppy....................

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    All PC133 RAM can work as PC100...

I would just do some benchmarks and see the difference first...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

All PC133 RAM can work as PC100...

I would just do some benchmarks and see the difference first...

Cant really do that because I will need to return the PNY RAM before buying a new chip.

Maybe Apple has some kind of info that would tell me to only use one speed, or if it matters...............................
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I mean Benchmark the iMac with the 64 meg DIMM... then again with both the 64 meg DIMM and the 256 meg DIMM. If you can see a major difference (decrease) then get return the ram you bought. If not then enjoy the extra 256 megs.

Personally I would not really care too much... My iMac is used for word processing and the internet... only when using programs that ask a lot from your system will you see the change...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

I mean Benchmark the iMac with the 64 meg DIMM... then again with both the 64 meg DIMM and the 256 meg DIMM. If you can see a major difference (decrease) then get return the ram you bought. If not then enjoy the extra 256 megs.

Personally I would not really care too much... My iMac is used for word processing and the internet... only when using programs that ask a lot from your system will you see the change...

Its definitely not slower with the extra memory. In fact it seems to work quite well with panther. of course I wouldnt try running OSX with 64Mb RAM, but its faster with the extra RAM and OSX than it was with OS9 and 128 Mb 2-2-2 RAM......................
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Crucial offers a choice of 512Mb PC133 CL2, 512Mb PC133 CL3, 256Mb PC100 CL2.

Why they dont offer a choice of 256Mb PC133 is beyond me but I emailed them to find out.

Apparently they think PC133 is OK and offer both CL2 and CL3.

Yeesh. I hope they answer my email so i can finally get this sorted out and get on with my life!...............................
  • Reply 6 of 10
    This might help you feel more comfortable when sorting this out...

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherbo...119/index.html
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

This might help you feel more comfortable when sorting this out...

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherbo...119/index.html

If what he says applies to Macs also than the slower RAM is ok. I am still waiting for Crucial to reply to my email and PNY hasnt replied in 2 days which makes me want to return their RAM just because of that. I hate it when companies dont reply to emails.........................................
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Well good luck then...

Post what you find.

• Reply 9 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    If you didn't ensure the timing of the RAM you purchased and don't know what the technical differences are, you likely won't notice the difference between the two. This is a G3 iMac after all and as you've noted, its far faster with more RAM at mixed speeds than with the higher speed 64 MB alone. A faster hard drive will likely make a bigger difference than getting timed RAM.

That said, if the faster RAM is cheaper and more future proof, then get it by all means.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Here is what smalldog wrote to me:

> PC100 DIMM's will work in your machine, but our vendor sells only 133

chips and rebrands them as 100 when need.

CL3 chips and CL2 chips are interchangeable. It should have no effect

on your machine if they are not the same.<

So, I guess I stay with what I have. Thank for all replies..