Making a Linksys router into a G4 imposter

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Anybody who checks out the Genius Bar often will remember that I've been wrestling with my equipment to get wireless in my dorm room without messing up the school's network or being caught "violating" their no router policy. For the rest of you, My University IT's banned routers because tons of people bought them, not knowing any better, and set them up wrong causing all kinds of problems for them. My IT's have also locked down the network to only approved, registered MAC addresses.

Now that we're all up to speed, here's my question. Does anyone know if I can make a Linksys BEFW1154 look just like my Quicksilver G4 on the network? This morning I gave it the G4's MAC address and connected it to the network. To my delight it all worked as it should, but I think it still identifies itself as a Linksys router, so I am leary of hooking it up permanently.

I know that I have my router configured correctly and it will not cause the problems they had before, but our IT top dogs are pretty close-minded. I'm sure they'd raise hell if they found a router on their network, whether it was causing problems or not, just because they said "no" and we idiot students can't be trusted to set up any equipment correctly.

Thanks again for taking an interest

-G

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    nmap can take a guess at what a piece of harware is by looking at available services and open ports... and maybe other stuff too.

you can start by querying your router (with nmap) when it isnt plugged into the network to get an idea of what its reporting back.

most routers have some kind of telnet or http service turned on to enable configuration from a remote client, disabling or obfuscating these might be one way to do it.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Set your internal IP to be the DMZ host. That way any open ports on your Mac will also be open on the external IP they give you. And like the other poster said, turn off remote config (which is off by default, I believe). I don't see how it could identify you as a router. I doubt if they even check they do any more than check MAC addresses, in which case you're fine.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    aslan^aslan^ Posts: 599member
    wont turning on the DMZ service open all his ports and leave him vulnerable ?
  • Reply 4 of 14
    noleli2noleli2 Posts: 129member
    The idea was that he wanted to be able to look like an OS X box to someone doing a port scan. Otherwise people might suspect he's got a router (i.e. if port 8080 is open).
  • Reply 5 of 14
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Noleli2

The idea was that he wanted to be able to look like an OS X box to someone doing a port scan. Otherwise people might suspect he's got a router (i.e. if port 8080 is open).

Will this make both the router and my G4 appear on the network? Also, will the other computers behind the router be visible? I'll have one iBook on Airport and another on a hardline for now. I'm not too network saavy so please bare with me, and thanks for the help!

The thing that made me ask instead of just giving it the same name, MAC address and hooking it up, is that when I log in to the router's settings (from a computer "behind" it) the dialog box says "Enter username and password for "Linksys BEFW11S4 V2/V3 at 192.168.1.1" I'm worried that it could as easily supply that info to someone on the other side of it, thus giving itself away.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Can you not do this easily by activating internet connection sharing?

Ditch the router, plug the PowerMac into the network and have it wirelessly connect to the iBooks. *In theory* it should be a piece of cake.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

Can you not do this easily by activating internet connection sharing?

Ditch the router, plug the PowerMac into the network and have it wirelessly connect to the iBooks. *In theory* it should be a piece of cake.

I don't have airport in the G4. I DO have a second ethernet card, and until recently, the router got its internet from the G4 and passed it on to the iBooks. Now it will not work unless I give it the G4's MAC address and connect it to the network. I don't know if it'll work piggybacked with the G4's MAC address. I haven't tried that for fear of having the MAC address show up twice simultaneously.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Wait... you should be able to connect the G4 to the network with the first network card, then do internet sharing on the second ethernet card, plug the router into the second ethernet card, and have wireless. Since the G4 acts as a 'firewall' for the router, the router's MAC address is effectively hidden from everyone else.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Yes I should be able to. Until recently, that's exactly what I was doing. They seemed to have made some kind of change over Christmas break that prevents that from working anymore.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Hm that makes no sense, you should be able to internet share regardless of what they do, as internet sharing is local to the computer. Perhaps some settings needs to be readjusted.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    I know... that's what's driving me nuts. Until a few days ago I could plug my iBook directly into the second card and piggy-back my 'net access, but then it quit working too. When I plug the router directly to the network with the G4's MAC address, the router keeps all my toys supplied with internet.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Well I went ahead and hooked the mighty router directly up. After a few hiccups, all seems to be well with the borrowed MAC addy. I still don't know if it's distinguishible from the G4 from the outside, but we'll see how long I get away with it. Wish me luck.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    could you use this to perhaps get around the ports the school blocks?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by O and A

could you use this to perhaps get around the ports the school blocks?

I would think not since those are blocked by a firewall on the University's mainline. I'm not after that anyway, I just want my wireless... Or are you asking for yourself ?