Biggest music library ever?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm in my psyc class and there's some kid sharing his music.

I was like, omfg.

here's a screen shot.

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rg8s/Picture%203.pdf

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    lol and i'm sure those are completely legal... the thing about having a library that big is that i would never listen to all of it, and i would forget about old songs that i stopped listening to for a while.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Im thinkin that honor would have to go to this guy:

Linky
  • Reply 3 of 24
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

...the thing about having a library that big is that i would never listen to all of it, and i would forget about old songs that i stopped listening to for a while.

I do that with my <11GB library!

i can't imaging having 70+ GB of music
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

Im thinkin that honor would have to go to this guy:

Linky

omfg, I don't ****nig believe this.

how long did it take to encode them? I think he's lying
  • Reply 5 of 24
    My library is that big and it IS completely legal. Well almost. My buddy has 45K different songs in his library. The problem is it is mostly Kenny G, Anne Murray, and Helen Reddy.

bob
  • Reply 6 of 24
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

omfg, I don't ****nig believe this.

how long did it take to encode them? I think he's lying

On my G5 with an external 52x CD-RW drive, I can rip CDs at an average (not merely peak) speed of 25-30x. Since I'm fussy about tag info, the time for editing the tags, plus the basic motions of getting the CD, opening the case, putting it in the drive, etc., can easily take more time than ripping.

With the right equipment at less tag fussiness, you could easily do 20 CDs per hour. Let's say 10 per hour if popping CDs in and out while doing other work, with your ripping software running in the background. Do this for just two hours per day, and in around four months you'll have gotten 2500 CDs ripped.

Tedious, but not amazingly unbelievable. For all we know, this guy spread the task out over a year or more. Or maybe he's a fanatic and got in done in a month or less. Quite doable either way.
  • Reply 7 of 24
    After 2 years of encoding (each and every day to varying amounts of time), I recently completed transferring my entire collection (vinyl and cd) to MP3, at 320K CBR.

My 'legal' MP3 library is just over 520 Gigs.

My 'illegal' supplementary library is an additonal 160 Gigs (mostly DVD-R trades with friends for back catalogue items to fill in the gaps in my collection, but of course there's a bunch of downloads in there, too).

This is the culmination of 17 years of frenzied music purchasing. (Although, I'll never buy vinyl again ... what a pain in the friggin ass to encode!!)

Now bring on the TeraPod, please.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

My 'illegal' supplementary library is an additonal 160 Gigs (mostly DVD-R trades with friends for back catalogue items to fill in the gaps in my collection, but of course there's a bunch of downloads in there, too)

How many songs is that total?
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Quote:

After 2 years of encoding (each and every day to varying amounts of time), I recently completed transferring my entire collection (vinyl and cd) to MP3, at 320K CBR.

My 'illegal' supplementary library is an additonal 160 Gigs (mostly DVD-R trades with friends for back catalogue items to fill in the gaps in my collection, but of course there's a bunch of downloads in there, too).

This is the culmination of 17 years of frenzied music purchasing. (Although, I'll never buy vinyl again ... what a pain in the friggin ass to encode!!)

Now bring on the TeraPod, please.

just how many Hard Drives do you have? do you keep them on separate computers or what?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

How many songs is that total?

I can't give you the exact total, as I'm at work (working hard, obviously ) but it's over just over 50,000 tracks. That's all of them - legal and illegal.

Now ask me if I've listened to every track I own. I can honestly say that I haven't. It's a sickness. I need help.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by MagicFingers

just how many Hard Drives do you have? do you keep them on separate computers or what?

On my windows box I have 6 drives (1x100, 3x120, 2x160).

The entire library is backed up on DLT and sitting in a case at work with me - insurance will buy me a new computer, and CD/Vinyl replacements, but I have plenty of stuff that I would never be able to find again.

My Powerbook has it's lowly 40 Gig drive and an 80 Gig external FW.

I should have purchased a house, instead of music. <sigh>
  • Reply 12 of 24
    Uh...goobers, Apple has the biggest...400,000 songs, all legal
  • Reply 13 of 24
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robot

Uh...goobers, Apple has the biggest...400,000 songs, all legal

For an individual collector, there's that guy who bought $29,500 worth of stuff on iTunes. That's going to be around 120 GB of music... not the biggest collection, but it's got to be a contender for one of the most expensive collections.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    as soon as i start work, i'm gonna be spending like 90% of my paycheck on music (after i buy my G5 and DV Cam of course)
  • Reply 15 of 24
    knappaknappa Posts: 106member
    Quote:

I can't give you the exact total, as I'm at work (working hard, obviously ) but it's over just over 50,000 tracks. That's all of them - legal and illegal.

Now ask me if I've listened to every track I own. I can honestly say that I haven't. It's a sickness. I need help.

I thought iTunes at least used to be limited to 32,000 songs ? Has that limit been removed or raised ?
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by knappa

I thought iTunes at least used to be limited to 32,000 songs ? Has that limit been removed or raised ?

I wouldn't know ... they're all on my XP box.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    You guys are crazy. Do you ever come around listening to them all?

Be honest. In a week, what percentage of your enormous music library do you actually listen to?

And how do you all have so much time to listen to music?
  • Reply 18 of 24
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

You guys are crazy. Do you ever come around listening to them all?

Be honest. In a week, what percentage of your enormous music library do you actually listen to?

And how do you all have so much time to listen to music?

I've been buying music for over 20 years, and CDs since they were released. I know I've heard everything in my collection except for things I've purchased recently. The things I bought 15-20 years ago I've heard so many times I only need to hear about 2 notes before the entire album comes flooding back into my head.

That said, the stuff I've bought in the past 5 years I don't know nearly as well. I do use my iPod almost every day for at least an hour and as much as 8.

Oh, I have 15,000+ songs, 40.7 days, ~68 GB of legal music. I have several hundred albums left to rip.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Yeah, I guess I'm still quite young and don't have all these musical memories yet.

Sounds pretty cool though, just the idea of listening to a piece I like now in 20 years.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Current track: Danse Kalinda Ba Doom, Dr. John from Gris-Gris.