Filemaker Formula Help

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I know there are a few Filemaker pros on this board, and I'm certainly not one of them. I'm hoping I can get some help with a simple formula that I can't seem to get to work.

I'm trying to use Filemaker to calculate the Canadian Goods and Services tax. (GST is 7% of the sales price of a product.)

Creating a calculation field for GST is simple enough. I create a new field named "GST" with the calculation of:

GST = 7/100 * Sales

Where I'm stumped is how I incorporate tax exempt sales (e.g. to Americans etc.).

I created a field called "GST exempt" which can be set to YES when I'm registering a tax exempt sale.

How do I tell Filemaker: "If GST Exempt = Yes, then GST = 0.00 otherwise use the "GST = 7/100 * Sales" formula?

Nothing I try seems to work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Change the formula for GST to this:

if (GST Exempt = "Yes", 0, 7/100 * sales)
  • Reply 2 of 3
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally posted by spotcatbug

Change the formula for GST to this:

if (GST Exempt = "Yes", 0, 7/100 * sales)

Works perfectly. Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    Personally, I'd drop the 7/100 and use 0.07 instead. Same thing, but doesn't require the computer to calculate "7/100" every time you look up records. Probably wouldn't have much effect unless you're doing a bunch of records at once, but it could save the user a couple idle seconds in some situations.