iTMS ?> CD ?> Rip On Another Computer

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
What happens if you purchase a bunch of songs from the iTMS, burn them to an Audio CD, and rip the CD on another Mac?

The thought just occured to me... m. \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    It works no problem. The burned CD has no protection or DRM. It is exactly the same as any other burned CD.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by stupider...likeafox

It works no problem. The burned CD has no protection or DRM. It is exactly the same as any other burned CD.

That's what I thought... I thought that they might have written in some copy protection thingo on the CD, like some "CD"s you can buy... m. \ \
  • Reply 3 of 4
    No, they are burned to the CD as plain audio with no restrictions.

However, and this is important, if you re-rip the files from the audio CD back to the computer into a lossy format such as MP3 or AAC, the quality of the audio will degrade. That is simply the nature of MP3 and AAC (same as many others like WMA and OGG). So, whenever possible, just keep the original AAC files and listen to them unless you have no choice but to convert them to another format.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    isn't there actually some copyright stipulation where it's legal to have copies of your music as long as it's of a lesser quality?

At berklee you are allowed to transfer anything from the media library(one of the most comprehensive collections of music and music related media in the world) onto a MD player or Tape player because the quality is lowered. They don't allow you to take your laptop in there because you can do .aif and get an exact copy, which is illegal.

that's the rule here at least, I wasn't sure, either way, it's a bummer, I wish I was allowed to use my laptop to make lesser quality copies, or if there was a way to do this with the iPod.