GLOBAL downloads folder

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay, I may have posted this question before but I'll be darned if I can find that old thread so I'm writing it here (maybe this IS the first time). Does anyone know if there is a GLOBAL downloads folder in OS X 10.2.x onward?

Safari, AOL, iChat and several other internet apps ALL want to download to this one specific directory that I no longer wish to use. I originally SET it in Safari and all those others followed along. I don't think this is something that is controlled by a nice Preferences panel but it MUST be a general, global preference.

YES, I've repaired my permissions several times over the past few months yet this problem lingers. It's just starting to drive me around the bend.

garrrrrrr

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Try changing it in Safari again.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    I've changed it several times in Safari but it always reverts back to that same directory which is why I think it is a preference stored in a general "internetprefs" file....just need to find out which one!
  • Reply 3 of 6
    You can use 'grep' in the Terminal to seach through the content of your prefs files. try something like:

grep 'NameOfYourFolder' -r ~/Library/Preferences

my folder showed up in various pref files. The location in com.apple.internetconfig.plist seems to be stored as alias data, so in Panther, changing it in Safari is the way to go.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Good idea!!

I'm searching the contents of the global library and my user library....
  • Reply 5 of 6
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    They should be using the default folder set in System Preferences->Internet under your Apple menu.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kesh

They should be using the default folder set in System Preferences->Internet under your Apple menu.

...only if you are still using Mac OS X 10.2.x. This panel was removed/changed in 10.3.

edit: whoops, I guess the original poster is still using 10.2. Well! There's your answer, then.