Kernel Panic

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My Dad recently installed 10.3 on his 17" PowerBook. Ever since then every day or so he has a kernel panic. I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions on how to get this to stop or what might be causing it?

Thanks,

Macaddict16

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Does he have third party RAM installed?
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Yes, but he has had it installed since he had the machine and it did not start getting the Kernel Panic until he installed Panther.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 3 of 27
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    What version of 10.3? I know I had some issues with 10.3.0, 10.3.2 fixed the problems. What is he doing when it KPs? Thats info that it helps to know if we are gonna troubleshoot.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Is he using any other third-party hardware?

Does he have any system-wide utilities such as Norton Utilites installed? Norton is simply infamous for causing various problems including kernel panics on Mac OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    No system-wide utilities- the only hardware he used was a Palm Tungston and a USB flash drive, but neither of these things are on when it crashes He always kept it as up to date as possible. I think we are just going to initalize and reinstall Panther.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 6 of 27
    meecesmeeces Posts: 160member
    So I have a question in regards to kernals and panics. It seems espn.com does it to my 17". Kernal panic and unexpectadtly quit message from either safari or internet exporer. Any thoughts? only espn.com does it.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Meeces

So I have a question in regards to kernals and panics. It seems espn.com does it to my 17". Kernal panic and unexpectadtly quit message from either safari or internet exporer. Any thoughts? only espn.com does it.

Are you sure you're seeing a kernel panic? A KP is a total, irrecoverable system crash from which you have to restart. It looks like this in 10.3:

You shouldn't be getting an error like this if your software is up to date. I can access ESPN fine from my Mac in Safari. I would suggest making sure your Internet plug-ins (Flash, QuickTime) are up to date (or just reinstall them) and then run through the maintenance tips in the FAQ thread at the top of the Genius Bar here.

As for the original poster, Macaddict16, I would suggest removing some RAM and then the other bit of RAM and see if stability improves. RAM can go bad, although it is rare.

A kernel panic is usually either a hardware issue or driver conflict or some other very low-level problem. I doubt reinstalling Panther will solve the problem (try the FAQ suggestions first), but it might... stranger things have happened.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    I have a Blue and White G3 and it wont even install 10.3, it has a kernal panic when I reboot with the instal disk in, and yes the firmware is updated. Would be having a simmaler prob?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

As for the original poster, Macaddict16, I would suggest removing some RAM and then the other bit of RAM and see if stability improves. RAM can go bad, although it is rare.

Did OS X's hypersensitivity to bad RAM begin with Panther or Jaguar?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Did OS X's hypersensitivity to bad RAM begin with Panther or Jaguar?

I think it was progressively so. That said most ram sold today is Very Good ram. I've never bought Ram from Apple (other that what came in the original system, and even that has been replaced with larger 3rd party ram)
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Are you sure you're seeing a kernel panic? A KP is a total, irrecoverable system crash from which you have to restart. It looks like this in 10.3:

A kernel panic is usually either a hardware issue or driver conflict or some other very low-level problem. I doubt reinstalling Panther will solve the problem (try the FAQ suggestions first), but it might... stranger things have happened.

If this ends up to be the case, Use the OSX startup disk (the one that was used to install the OS) and use the Disk utilities and REPAIR PERMISSIONS, you may need to repeat this step several times before the panic goes away.

It worked at least for me, and no more KP ever since...
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac_ken_Cheez

and use the Disk utilities and REPAIR PERMISSIONS, you may need to repeat this step several times before the panic goes away.

Well, yes, you may "repair permissions" but that isn't the important one you might should repeat.

That is.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    If you are sure it is not a memory problem then it is most likely on the disk. As stated above, repair permissions, verify/repair the hard drive, zap the PRAM. You might also want to try to reinstall the OS. If the permissions/HD were in bad shape the first install might have had problems.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Well we tried initalizing and reinstalling, His computer seems faster, but he still gets kernel panics. They are less often now though than before. I have not tried removing the RAM yet but I will do so. Any other ideas at what may be causing the problem.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macaddict16

I have not tried removing the RAM yet but I will do so.

Try it, you may like it?

What about heat? is that an issue?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    It does not get any hotter than my iBook G4 so i dont think that heat is an issue. The wierd thing is that it didn't start until we installed Panther.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 17 of 27
    my laptop started doing this a few days ago. how do you zap the pram?

it happens sometimes on my laptop after I wake it up from sleep... no RAM other then the one soldered on the board.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ichiban_jay

my laptop started doing this a few days ago. how do you zap the pram?

reboot the computer. as the chime rings, hold down the command, option, p and r keys (simultaneously and continuously) until you hear several more chimes (i think the required amount is 3 total, but more don't really hurt, so i do five). all the while, you should be maintaining the key combination. after you've gotten through several chimes, release the keys and restart as normal. some settings (i think screen resolution, maybe date/time) will be reset. if you notice anything awry, you can jump into sysprefs and fix it.

i think i read that starting with panther (or maybe jaguar? maybe only on one of the darwins?), osx keeps a log of kps in /System/Logs (or similar). i'm pretty sure that i read it was on by default. check out that folder and see if you have any files in there. the most recent one will be relevant (to your most recent kp). it will probably seem cryptic to you, but if you post it here, we might be able to figure out the source of your problem.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Well,

we have tried zapping the pram- removing the extra ram- reparing permissions- reparing disk- even reformatting and doing a new install- and he still is getting kernal panics (especially when he opens the lid from sleep. I have no idea what is going on.

Macaddict16
  • Reply 20 of 27
    The kernal panics seemed to slow down a little after we took out the RAM, but now they are back in full force. Besides the RAM what else could be the problem?

Macaddict16