IRC programs, whats good?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I used the demo of IRCLE and i like it. Im thinking buying it, but it seems no more updates for it or whatever. Are there any good free ones or other good ones that are cheap like 15-20 dollars?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    How about this?

http://xchataqua.sourceforge.net/

I have not used it but I have used X-chat... and X-chat is great!

BTW it is free
  • Reply 2 of 12
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

How about this?

http://xchataqua.sourceforge.net/

I have not used it but I have used X-chat... and X-chat is great!

BTW it is free

Another vote for XChat. Totally free and easy to use. Plus, it doesn't bomb or have cut / paste issues that ircle had when I last used it (3.0b14 IIRC).
  • Reply 3 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Die-hard IRC junkies hate it, but iRC (pay attention to the capitalization) is my favorite IRC client. It's made like an OS X app should be - X-Chat Aqua is fine for those who kind of know what they're doing, but iRC makes it really easy. Try it out.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I know what im doing in IRC. My brother showed me it on mIRC for windows. And i used it myself. Now i got a mac, few months ago. XChat-Aqua is very nice, i like it.

Thanks for everyones help!!
  • Reply 5 of 12
    ircle is pretty good, I haven't tried many others, but of what I have tried, I like ircle the best
  • Reply 6 of 12
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Die-hard IRC junkies hate it, but iRC (pay attention to the capitalization) is my favorite IRC client. It's made like an OS X app should be - X-Chat Aqua is fine for those who kind of know what they're doing, but iRC makes it really easy. Try it out.

I also use iRC, nice & simple.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    If you want free there's always ChatZilla, part of Mozilla and available for Firebird.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Another vote for X-Chat Aqua. It's the only fully featured easy to use free IRC program for the Mac.

Now if only someone would write a full featured free macintosh IRC program with a true Aqua interface... something with JediKnight's interface and X-Chat's features.

*Sigh* It'll never happen though.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 12
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I tried JediKnight once... it didn't even accept / commands. Now how the hell are you supposed to use IRC if you can't use / commands? It's like trying to use a computer without a keyboard.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
  • Reply 11 of 12
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I tried JediKnight once... it didn't even accept / commands. Now how the hell are you supposed to use IRC if you can't use / commands? It's like trying to use a computer without a keyboard.

Yeah, but the interface is the only true Aqua one... it is sad that JK is unusable. A client with JediKnight's interface but all the features and compatibility of X-Chat would be fantastic.

Barto
  • Reply 12 of 12
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    I switched to Xirc yesterday. It's an unfinished (but very good so far) client, costs $20, but it's a thorough cocoa/obj-c client that's evolving real fast. And the developer is very responsive to feedback and feature requests. Sent off a big list yesterday too. In contrast to X-Chat Aqua, it doesn't eat a ton of CPU-power by idling, has a native user interface, and doesn't feel slow.

Ircle and Snak never met my preferences in the way they work, and iRC has a pretty weak feature set, but is good for those who only want to chat.